Jess Simpson recruiting impact

He worked with Dan Quinn for a minute. Had to pick up some good knowledge from that guy. He has massive ties in Georgia. Evaluated and recruited the New York kids. Hunte looks to be a beast. Blisset is still on the up and up. Everyone seems to be pleased with the hire. In 2018 our line was good. Sack count and run d was good.
Run D wasn’t good

Advertisement
Love his energy!
Stresses technique too. You can tell he's a great teacher. Very detailed.
I haven't seen him teach pass rush yet but what I've seen him do with the DL in regards to their leverage and hand usage is sure to make us better at defending the run.

He seems to have a personality for recruiting, especially if he steps into your living room with that same energy.
I'm still not forgiving him for signing Jalar Holley though. He gotta see me on that one.
Over dorlus right?

Rick has an incredible track record of hiring fairly unknown coaches who turn out to be monster recruiters. Hoping he struck gold again with Simpson, and I think he did. You don't win like Simpson did and rise like he did without a convincing and winning personality that draws people in.

Simpson was a great hire. The dude obviously is well respected and highly regarded if he was brought to the NFL. The Georgia pipeline is basically dry so hopefully, he can help.

The only worry i have about the guy is he's clearly jumpy. He'll have his guys put up big numbers in the scheme and probably bolt the second he can to get away from manny bull****.
Love his energy!
Stresses technique too. You can tell he's a great teacher. Very detailed.
I haven't seen him teach pass rush yet but what I've seen him do with the DL in regards to their leverage and hand usage is sure to make us better at defending the run.

He seems to have a personality for recruiting, especially if he steps into your living room with that same energy.
I'm still not forgiving him for signing Jalar Holley though. He gotta see me on that one.

I knew Holley was going to be a dancing queen ***** when he almost didn't come because Simpson didn't pay him enough attention on his recruiting visit.

Also, didnt the highly ranked 4 star who ended up at Bama, that Simpson almost scored with his Georgia ties end up in the portal? Harris i think his name was. Anyone know if he's signed anywhere yet?

Simpson was a great hire. The dude obviously is well respected and highly regarded if he was brought to the NFL. The Georgia pipeline is basically dry so hopefully, he can help.

The only worry i have about the guy is he's clearly jumpy. He'll have his guys put up big numbers in the scheme and probably bolt the second he can to get away from manny bull****.

I knew Holley was going to be a dancing queen ***** when he almost didn't come because Simpson didn't pay him enough attention on his recruiting visit.

Also, didnt the highly ranked 4 star who ended up at Bama, that Simpson almost scored with his Georgia ties end up in the portal? Harris i think his name was. Anyone know if he's signed anywhere yet?

Gtech

We played against Buford that year and Holley was non-existent. Didn't even know he was on the field.
He was a terrible take. I don't see any possible way he doesn't end up in the portal.

Advertisement
I can forgive him for Holley that was his former player. He is a DT body, that works hard, and is extremely coachable.

At one time it seemed he was cracking the top 4 DT in spring, then he sorta disappeared.

I get it though, doesn’t look like a good take now for sure!

Advertisement
The problem is Simpson is not a good recruiter and recruiting is over half of a college football coaches job
we got spoiled Bc stroud landed a lot of the top guys
In 2019 he missed on every top south Florida dline man
And even with his “ga connections” he only got Holley

this is a big issue with the amount of local dline talent this year

The problem is Simpson is not a good recruiter and recruiting is over half of a college football coaches job
we got spoiled Bc stroud landed a lot of the top guys
In 2019 he missed on every top south Florida dline man
And even with his “ga connections” he only got Holley

this is a big issue with the amount of local dline talent this year
Not really.

We have 2 commits already...and likely have 3 dlineman drafted within the first 3 rounds to sell to recruits. And if Deandre Johnson makes a jump during the season he will be another nfl draft pick. They are starting to only have to sell that ability. I think we will be turning down DL talent in this class

Jess Simpson is one of the better DL coaches in America IMO. He did a great job here the first time, and I think he will get the most out of the group of DL on the roster.

As far as recruiting, he can sell the fact that he was a DL coach in the NFL, and he knows what it takes to get to and play at that level.

Current roster, let's get it Coach Simpson:

Jafari Harvey
Deandre Johnson
Cam Williams
Chantz Williams
Jared Harrison-Hunte
Jon Ford
Nesta SIlvera
Jordan Miller
Leonard Taylor
Jalar Holley
Jason Blissett
Allen Haye
Quinten Williams
Jabari Ishmael
Thomas Davis
Plus Elijah Roberts. That makes 16 scholarship DL - that's a ton of talent to work with. Deepest I've seen our DL in a long time.

Will be interesting to see what becomes of Holley and Blissett this offseason. Make or break time coming soon for those guys because the '21 guys will not sit patiently.

Advertisement
Plus Elijah Roberts. That makes 16 scholarship DL - that's a ton of talent to work with. Deepest I've seen our DL in a long time.

Will be interesting to see what becomes of Holley and Blissett this offseason. Make or break time coming soon for those guys because the '21 guys will not sit patiently.
Make or break?. They will be sophomores...Blissett and him were in the rotation this year. I probably noticed Blissett a little more than Holley..but appeared to be an active 3 tech. They are progressing as expected. Holley lost a lot of weight..dude looked "skinny".

Haye and Taylor will have to earn their keep...likelihood of redshirting them is high imo.

Make or break?. They will be sophomores...Blissett and him were in the rotation this year. I probably noticed Blissett a little more than Holley..but appeared to be an active 3 tech. They are progressing as expected. Holley lost a lot of weight..dude looked "skinny".

Haye and Taylor will have to earn their keep...likelihood of redshirting them is high imo.
Especially with ford and Silvera coming back Robert's looked really solid for a guy who needs another 10-15 lbs and quentin Williams development could be interesting could be a rj McIntosh type. Dt is stacked

True, but it will be Year 3 in the program for them. Time to step it up, which I hope they do. I guess I'm a little worried about the C/O '19. Really want to see those guys contribute next year and not disappoint me like the '18 guys.

Really hoping Payton, Huff, Blissett, Cam Williams, Holley, etc. take that next step this off season. We're going to need their productivity.

And we've finally got enough DL depth that we don't have to throw Taylor and Haye into the fire as Freshman. I absolutely hate playing Freshman linemen. It's just not fair to those guys. They need a year to get right. Really hoping we redshirt both of those guys to be honest.

Advertisement
True, but it will be Year 3 in the program for them. Time to step it up, which I hope they do. I guess I'm a little worried about the C/O '19. Really want to see those guys contribute next year and not disappoint me like the '18 guys.

Really hoping Payton, Huff, Blissett, Cam Williams, Holley, etc. take that next step this off season. We're going to need their productivity.

And we've finally got enough DL depth that we don't have to throw Taylor and Haye into the fire as Freshman. I absolutely hate playing Freshman linemen. It's just not fair to those guys. They need a year to get right. Really hoping we redshirt both of those guys to be honest.
I feel just like you. Holley and Blissett gfot their feet wet a bit as well as Cam Williams.

Haye and Taylor redshirt at the big time programs with DL (Think Bama/OSU) unless they flat out wreck shop. Let them see the field in 4 games and shirt. It helps...which is why im not mad about Ford coming back...it allows for ashirt for one of them at minimum.

With Ford and Silvera back and also signing LT,we should expect a couple of DTs to hit the portal after spring.
I doubt it.. We play alot of DL in rotations. LT likely shirts and Ford,Silvera are GONE next season. You wont see any one hit until after next spring if that.

I think they should play Elijah more at end depending on his growth this spring. Q Williams and Roberts are both around that 265 range now

Advertisement
Back