Jess Simpson gone.

Advertisement
Friends? All of his hires have been people he has coached with previously. Idk about you, but if I’m building a staff around me, I too would pick from the best of the best I have previously worked with. **** if I could do that in my work life, I’d be able to build a pretty solid staff that I feel comfortable will succeed. When you do that you know what you are getting, you know their work ethic and skill sets, you know what their strengths and weaknesses are, etc.

When you hire people outside of your tree, you don’t have direct experience with them to truly know what you are getting.

Sure it’s good to bring in outside perspectives and what not, but when building the core of your staff you really want to have your finger on the pulse of everything. You can do that more effectively when you’ve been to battle with everyone and you know what they are bringing to the table.
I’m not complaining just pointing out this hire is really no different to me so not sure why my boy there brought it up, that’s all.

there isnt one coaching staff in america that isnt filled with who the head coach knows and who he is comfortable with. NCAA NFL

This. And Diaz is a DC. He's hiring guys who he thinks can run his style of defense.

On offense, Diaz has gone completely outside his tree.

People might not be thrilled with some of the names, but I'm not sure how anyone could think he's just doing people favors by hiring them

Advertisement
So what were your thoughts on Simpson when he was hired? Simpson had ZERO track record. And it worked out.

Stroud's resume is far superior if that's what your looking at

Didn't Simpson spend some time in the NFL prior to coming over?

Didn't Simpson spend some time in the NFL prior to coming over?

Yes, 1 season as an assistant DL coach. So basically the NFL equivalent of an analyst.

Comparing that to a guy who was a college DC for the past 7 years and coached at FSU and NC St. The resumes arent comparable.

I'm not saying Stroud is a slam dunk, but Simpson ending up be good shows we shouldnt dismiss a guy just because he's not a **** pick

Simpson wasnt an obvious problem but we cant really say he was great, either. He spent a year at Um, and picked up on kids Kul coached. In terms of recruiting, we didn’t local kids at DT and obviously missed on Bogle, so not sure how to assess him. Like the Harvey and Cam Williams takes. Not aure he deserves all the credit for the NY kids. Amd no view on Holley.

It is pretty obvious Manny had a back up plan and that is good. Simpson must have let manny know and that speaks well of him. He got a good job, in Atlanta, and I wish him the best. He left Hs and now has bounced around year to year — hopefully he found what he wants.

I mean, the loss of Simpson is a shoulder shrug, to me. I had no issues with him, but I couldn't sit here and say he was some great coach or recruiter either. If I were an outsider, I would have said he coasted through this season using guys Kuligowski coached up and his recruiting was fine, but nothing to write home about either (if you think his recruiting was excellent, you're expecting a lot out of Blissett/JHH).

I am curious if Stroud can actually recruit.

Advertisement
Advertisement
so for the knuckleheads that say bad hire--lets hear why. lets see why u should be a d line coach instead of a nobody on a message board.

We have a bunch of Gaytor and SemenHole trolls on here who MIRACULOUSLY comment on all of the "kid decommitted" or "coach moved on" threads.

And nothing else.

It's just SHOCKING how many 3-digit-post-count posters suddenly have passionate opinions whenever there is a topic that can be twisted to make UM look bad.

Wake up, people.

Advertisement
We hired a guy who was an associate head coach...for an OFF the field job.

What did you THINK was going to happen?

I wonder if you are being serious in this conversation, but congrats on being one of the few people that knew what was going on.
Probably should of posted it once Stroud was hired so we could all be in the loop, 18 pages later the argument goes on.
Stroud was hired to take Simpsons job when he left ...... smfh ...

There goes the Metro Atl connect ...
You do realize before Jess was even hired...we had the head coach who had recruited and coach in the state of GA for 15 years? You gotta know that right? So what connect was a guy who was here only a year did he establish?

You do realize before Jess was even hired...we had the head coach who had recruited and coach in the state of GA for 15 years? You gotta know that right? So what connect was a guy who was here only a year did he establish?

I mean, the loss of Simpson is a shoulder shrug, to me. I had no issues with him, but I couldn't sit here and say he was some great coach or recruiter either. If I were an outsider, I would have said he coasted through this season using guys Kuligowski coached up and his recruiting was fine, but nothing to write home about either (if you think his recruiting was excellent, you're expecting a lot out of Blissett/JHH).

I am curious if Stroud can actually recruit.
100% agreed. His recruiting was a disappointment to me, judging by where we started the process, but I credit him with a good kick save after the year unfolded.

In any case, whatever. I assume Stroud is a 1 year stop gap personally, and winds up in some support role - because we do need more young Hartley type recruiters on the staff and I don’t expect Stroud to be that.

Advertisement
Back