Jeremiah Payton

So far this season, he's played a ton of snaps and hasn't done anything. He's probably played the most snaps of any receiver by a large margin. Still very early though. Maybe he'll get loose for a couple strikes this weekend.
My thoughts exactly.

About Atwell, I don't get the despair over him not playing here.
He was a smaller player, without a position. He went to UL and is shining, good for him, but this happens all the time. The bigger programs go after the better HS prospects and a lot of times the guys that didn't have a position or didn't show much in HS go to smaller programs and thrive.

Advertisement
I watched Payton compete at Paradise Camp, and he never took a rep off. They called him “JP” and he gave attention and detail to every rep. Payton was very competitive, and he just laughed and smiled because he LOVED the competition with the DBs. JP was talking smack in a friendly way, and JP was also backing it up. JP would never get down and always seemed to be thinking about how to get better. JP’s attitude and approach was infectious, and IMHO, JP knows how to get open and give his QB a target to throw to. IMHO, JP should have played a lot more last season, but the coaches seemed to prefer others.

Hopefully, JP will start getting his chance to show what he can do, so he will become that WR1 that he is talented enough to become
Say JP one more time!!!

Go Canes!!!!!!!!

There wasn't much real news about his recruiting because we didn't recruit him. I first-guessed this one because I was one of the very few who thought we should find a spot for PooPoo. He was a winner and a dynamic playmaker, and it was pretty easy to see he could transition into a WR like Roscoe Parrish did.

Roscoe Parrish is the exact guy I was thinking of

All I remember was Luther Campbell raising **** about how we should offer him to play qb, so I had a pavlovian response to **** on Atwell out of spite. I think gogeta said we should offer him as a WR, but I don't remember if he was even open to that at the time.

@gogeta4 usually on point with his evals... shouldn’t be a surprise considering

For those of you who didn’t know, Tu Tu was a great high school QB. He was a optimist phenom, and a four-year starter at Northwestern. Northwestern had to go through the Central-Carol City-etc gauntlet just to win the District, then he led Northwestern to the state championship. Tu Tu was fast and shifty, and I saw him win some legendary games and start the Northwestern resurgence after a few down years. Tu Tu was a special high school football player, and I am not surprised he is the leading receiver in the ACC.

That said, Tu Tu is not a Cane, so I have to look at our roster and hope the current Cane WRs develop under Likens. Payton played at Fletcher in Jacksonville, but I did see him compete in Paradise Camp and I was very impressed. I saw Pope and Wiggins at SOUTHRIDGE high school and I see their development so far, and they both are good, but IMHO, Payton has the talent, attitude, hands, competitive nature and personality to be the true WR1 on this roster. Payton is not afraid of contact, he goes after contested catches, he has a sense for making plays and he gives his QB a target. And I also agree that Jordan and Mallory, two future NFL TEs, should play more on the field together
I too saw him at Paradise, and thought he looked better than anyone...Great hands...and incredible body control...

Advertisement
General feeling is we’re over reacting a bit at WR. We run a ton of plays, and they’ll get their reps/targets. I’m not that worried about the drops going forward, I think they’ll find their bearings. Pope is one break away from really finding confidence. I saw Wiggins get separation all game in two ****** offenses. Gona let this play out

Advertisement
Lashlee mentioned him by name in the presser.

Sounds like he's going to get some opportunities this week.
He’s the one guy, outside of Jordan or Mallory, who I think could win a jump ball. It’s great that our receivers are open more often, but we also need them to start making contested catches. I’m confident Payton can do that.

Advertisement
Lashlee mentioned him by name in the presser.

Sounds like he's going to get some opportunities this week.
Are these the games he gets opportunities? Tough ask of a guy who barely gotten any PT up to this point to jump up to level of #1 team in country.. Starters are pretty weak up to this point tho so door is still open I guess..

Are these the games he gets opportunities? Tough ask of a guy who barely gotten any PT up to this point to jump up to level of #1 team in country.. Starters are pretty weak up to this point tho so door is still open I guess..
He’s been around long enough. If he can play there’s no reason he shouldn’t be ready to show his skills right now.

Advertisement
He'll contribute but not expecting him to come out of nowhere and become our best WR. Not this noche.

He’s been around long enough. If he can play there’s no reason he shouldn’t be ready to show his skills right now.
Will be rooting for him whenever he gets his opportunity.. His name keeps coming up, must be something to it.. Dude is legendary greentree all american at this point

Will be rooting for him whenever he gets his opportunity.. His name keeps coming up, must be something to it.. Dude is legendary greentree all american at this point
Hes not that but he’s someone who deserves a chance and has the talent and size that we’ve been missing. We will let Harley drop a million passes but not give someone else a shot.

Advertisement
Back