Jeremiah Payton

He’s the one guy, outside of Jordan or Mallory, who I think could win a jump ball. It’s great that our receivers are open more often, but we also need them to start making contested catches. I’m confident Payton can do that.
JP was definitely winning a lot of contested catches at Paradise Camp. I heard one of the high coaches from north Florida say that JP was a good basketball player at Fletcher. One thing I noticed is that he really enjoys the competition and the spotlight. JP should thrive in this Lashlee offense

Advertisement
My thoughts exactly.

About Atwell, I don't get the despair over him not playing here.
He was a smaller player, without a position. He went to UL and is shining, good for him, but this happens all the time. The bigger programs go after the better HS prospects and a lot of times the guys that didn't have a position or didn't show much in HS go to smaller programs and thrive.

That right there is GAME BREAKING, BIG PLAY ABILITY.

You do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get these kind of guys on your team.

“Oh you want to play quarterback? Sign this paper and will give you a look at offensive coordinator, too.”

Focusing on measureables and getting tunnel vision on playing style is why we don’t have as much of that big play ability on our team. It affects us on defense as well, especially at cornerback.

These are the type players we HAVE TO SIGN to be at our strongest. You can’t get all the underrated prospects, but when you have a frontline seat like Miami does, it is imperative to do better.

Those super fast 5’10ish guys that are playing well for lesser schools without even an offer from here would put this team on another level.

He’s the one guy, outside of Jordan or Mallory, who I think could win a jump ball. It’s great that our receivers are open more often, but we also need them to start making contested catches. I’m confident Payton can do that.
"Excuse me"

Attachments

• 8715638.png
    8715638.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 23

That right there is GAME BREAKING, BIG PLAY ABILITY.

You do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get these kind of guys on your team.

“Oh you want to play quarterback? Sign this paper and will give you a look at offensive coordinator, too.”

Focusing on measureables and getting tunnel vision on playing style is why we don’t have as much of that big play ability on our team. It affects us on defense as well, especially at cornerback.

These are the type players we HAVE TO SIGN to be at our strongest. You can’t get all the underrated prospects, but when you have a frontline seat like Miami does, it is imperative to do better.

Those super fast 5’10ish guys that are playing well for lesser schools without even an offer from here would put this team on another level.

There was a time when Miami absolutely lusted after that speed and would take that without thinking too hard about it.

Passing? Wouldn't be me.

Advertisement
There was a time when Miami absolutely lusted after that speed and would take that without thinking too hard about it.

Passing? Wouldn't be me.

Did you see how he blew by second AND third level defenders who HAD THE ANGLE? Straight up the middle.

You tell that kid WHATEVER HE WANTS TO HEAR to get that signature and let the chips fall where they may.

Guys like him are what created the 2000s dynasty.

He’s been around long enough. If he can play there’s no reason he shouldn’t be ready to show his skills right now.

100%. If he’s a WR1, it’s go time. Yeah, there’s the occasional Leonard Hankerson. But the vast, vast majority of elite WRs are making big plays by this point in year 2. It’s time to get going if he’s truly the best WR on the team, as was forecasted many times on this board.

Year 2, Game 4. Perfect time for your breakout.

I’ve been preaching this since last year. You can see glimpses of it but then he trips , drops a pass or avoids contact. Imo it looks like he’s always thinking instead of just playing. If you’re thinking you can’t be your best.

If he ever has a huge breakout game I could see it changing everything. I think he built some momentum Saturday and being back home sets him up to breakout. Confidence is a ****.
A lot of ifs there..

Not believing this kid won't have his moment. His tapes just too good. Has to be something mental he needs to iron out.

Advertisement
No offense but we've been hearing every single week how the next week is going to be Payton's breakout game. Keep waiting for it to happen.

Kid looked pretty good from the little I've seen, but I'll believe the "breakout week" line when I see it at this point. Y'all have cried wolf too many times on this one.

Also, just my eyeball test but of the young receivers, I've been most impressed with Redding and think he should get more targets.

100%. If he’s a WR1, it’s go time. Yeah, there’s the occasional Leonard Hankerson. But the vast, vast majority of elite WRs are making big plays by this point in year 2. It’s time to get going if he’s truly the best WR on the team, as was forecasted many times on this board.

Year 2, Game 4. Perfect time for your breakout.
exactly..

exactly..

Again, this doesn't tell the whole story. It's not like there's no way a kid can be a great player if he hasn't popped to this point. I'm just pointing out that there's a TON of evidence that elite, top end WRs are usually raping opposing defenses by now.

Henry Ruggs Year 2 -- 46 catches for 741 yards and 11 TDs
Jerry Jeudy Year 2 -- 68 catches for 1315 yards and 14 TDs
CeeDee Lamb Year 2 -- 65 for 1158 yards and 11 TDs
Jalen Reagor Year 2 -- 72 catches for 1061 yards and 9 TDs
Justin Jefferson Year 2 -- 54 catches for 875 yards and 5 TDs (and this was in that horrible 2018 LSU offense)
Brandon Aiyuk Year 2 -- He went to Juco for 2 years but his 2nd year there caught over 60 balls for 900+ yards
Tee Higgins Year 2 -- 59 catches for 936 yards and 12 TDs
Michael Pittman Year 2 -- 23 catches for 404 yards and 2 TDs
Laviska Shenault Year 2 -- 86 catches for 1011 yards and 6 TDs
KJ Hamler Year 2 -- 56 catches for 904 yards and 8 TDs
Chase Claypool Year 2 -- 29 catches for 409 yards and 2 TDs
Van Jefferson Year 2 -- 49 catches for 543 yards and 3 TDs
Denzel Mims Year 2 -- 61 catches for 1087 yards and 8 TDs

Are we sensing a pattern here? Again, this doesn't mean Payton sucks or he can't be good. But those are all the WRs taken in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft in April. All except for Pittman and Claypool were putting up MONSTER numbers by year 2. And even those 2 kids were certainly seeing some success.

I know he hasn't played much, but Jeremiah Payton has caught 1 whole pass for 13 yards this year after blowing up for 1 catch last season. If he's going to be a career backup, then this makes sense. But I was shredded for saying Miami does not have top end WR talent on this roster, but don't worry because Jeremiah Payton is that dude. OK then. It's not too late for that to happen by any means, but um....let's ******* go??

Again, this doesn't tell the whole story. It's not like there's no way a kid can be a great player if he hasn't popped to this point. I'm just pointing out that there's a TON of evidence that elite, top end WRs are usually raping opposing defenses by now.

Henry Ruggs Year 2 -- 46 catches for 741 yards and 11 TDs
Jerry Jeudy Year 2 -- 68 catches for 1315 yards and 14 TDs
CeeDee Lamb Year 2 -- 65 for 1158 yards and 11 TDs
Jalen Reagor Year 2 -- 72 catches for 1061 yards and 9 TDs
Justin Jefferson Year 2 -- 54 catches for 875 yards and 5 TDs (and this was in that horrible 2018 LSU offense)
Brandon Aiyuk Year 2 -- He went to Juco for 2 years but his 2nd year there caught over 60 balls for 900+ yards
Tee Higgins Year 2 -- 59 catches for 936 yards and 12 TDs
Michael Pittman Year 2 -- 23 catches for 404 yards and 2 TDs
Laviska Shenault Year 2 -- 86 catches for 1011 yards and 6 TDs
KJ Hamler Year 2 -- 56 catches for 904 yards and 8 TDs
Chase Claypool Year 2 -- 29 catches for 409 yards and 2 TDs
Van Jefferson Year 2 -- 49 catches for 543 yards and 3 TDs
Denzel Mims Year 2 -- 61 catches for 1087 yards and 8 TDs

Are we sensing a pattern here? Again, this doesn't mean Payton sucks or he can't be good. But those are all the WRs taken in the first 2 rounds of the NFL draft in April. All except for Pittman and Claypool were putting up MONSTER numbers by year 2. And even those 2 kids were certainly seeing some success.

I know he hasn't played much, but Jeremiah Payton has caught 1 whole pass for 13 yards this year after blowing up for 1 catch last season. If he's going to be a career backup, then this makes sense. But I was shredded for saying Miami does not have top end WR talent on this roster, but don't worry because Jeremiah Payton is that dude. OK then. It's not too late for that to happen by any means, but um....let's ******* go??
One thing 90% of those teams do is play their true freshman without all the political senioritis that Miami and Manny and Co....Also isn't everyone getting a mulligan for last years horrid offense? So my point is, he has had more go against him than those you used as an example in comparison. I don't know if he is Elite but I am not blaming him for his lack of production and numbers when I watched that trash of an offense last year and I watch how little Manny & Co. move off of playing the older guys

Advertisement
One thing 90% of those teams do is play their true freshman without all the political senioritis that Miami and Manny and Co....Also isn't everyone getting a mulligan for last years horrid offense? So my point is, he has had more go against him than those you used as an example in comparison. I don't know if he is Elite but I am not blaming him for his lack of production and numbers when I watched that trash of an offense last year and I watch how little Manny & Co. move off of playing the older guys

I get all that, and like I said I'm not saying he's trash. But at some point you are who you are. OK, we want to give him a pass for last year's trash offense? Fine. I guess I'll ignore the fact that we had 5 guys catch 20+ passes and he caught 1. Maybe every other program plays freshmen but Manny and Enos are clueless trash bags who can't identify talent. So, as weird as it is, let's wipe last year off the map.

We've played 3 games this year with an offensive coordinator that everyone is blowing loads in their pants over, and rightfully so. We have 2 freshmen backs who have multiple TDs. So...good coach? Check. Good position coach at Payton's spot? He's produced a 1st round WR the last 2 season so, check. Freshmen now playing and succeeding? Check.

Kinda out of excuses at this point for #12. It's time to produce. Again, I cannot say this more explicitly, I'm not saying he stinks, I'm not saying he can't be a great player, I'm not calling him a bust, and I'm not saying he can't be a WR1 for us. But if that's going to happen....it's got to pretty soon, yes? You can't have caught 2 passes through your first year and a half and a school and still tell people you're a high end NFL talent. That talent has to rise to the top, and quickly. If it's ever going to.

We have short memories. Idk what’s going on with Payton but have we forgot he was our best WR in the spring last year. Was also our best WR in the spring game we played in Orlando. He has the potential

Last edited:
Advertisement
I get all that, and like I said I'm not saying he's trash. But at some point you are who you are. OK, we want to give him a pass for last year's trash offense? Fine. I guess I'll ignore the fact that we had 5 guys catch 20+ passes and he caught 1. Maybe every other program plays freshmen but Manny and Enos are clueless trash bags who can't identify talent. So, as weird as it is, let's wipe last year off the map.

We've played 3 games this year with an offensive coordinator that everyone is blowing loads in their pants over, and rightfully so. We have 2 freshmen backs who have multiple TDs. So...good coach? Check. Good position coach at Payton's spot? He's produced a 1st round WR the last 2 season so, check. Freshmen now playing and succeeding? Check.

Kinda out of excuses at this point for #12. It's time to produce. Again, I cannot say this more explicitly, I'm not saying he stinks, I'm not saying he can't be a great player, I'm not calling him a bust, and I'm not saying he can't be a WR1 for us. But if that's going to happen....it's got to pretty soon, yes? You can't have caught 2 passes through your first year and a half and a school and still tell people you're a high end NFL talent. That talent has to rise to the top, and quickly. If it's ever going to.
The ONLY thing I will say in Payton's defense this year is he was contact traced against Louisville and probably didn't practice much during FSU week so he was likely only truly available for UAB. But going forward there should be no excuses because Redding is getting snaps when it isn't garbage time. That's the guy who apparently took his spot. Take it back

I get what you are saying for sure. You may call them excuses but I am looking at the context of his career.

Game 1 he would have had a TD had he not been horribly overthrown. Game 2, he's out. Game 3 doesn't play for whatever reason. I will judge what he has done at the end of the year and based on the opportunities given. Also you don't have to ignore the stats from last season, include them all you want. Whoever our Wr1 is considered to be didn't do jack chiit thru this same point in their careers also. Seems to be more a byproduct of the system here

The ONLY thing I will say in Payton's defense this year is he was contact traced against Louisville and probably didn't practice much during FSU week so he was likely only truly available for UAB. But going forward there should be no excuses because Redding is getting snaps when it isn't garbage time. That's the guy who apparently took his spot. Take it back

10000000%. This is all I'm saying. First it was Manny sucks and won't play young kids. Then it was the offense was trash. Now it's contract tracing. We're not headed down the most positive path here.

But for the 50th time, I'm still on board with the kid and what you wrote is 1000% correct. If you're a baller, it's time to end the excuses. You can't tell me Manny plays favorites and then say Payton is awesome if a true freshman continues to play over him.

The time is now.

Advertisement
Back