Jayden Gibson

So does Gibson mean it is a positive factor that UF doesn’t try to establish a relationship with a recruit?
Seems odd since everything we have learned about T-Rob and what makes him a better recruiter than Rumph is his ability to establish relationships with recruits. If this is really UF‘s method they Are in big trouble. No way they will win a close call in recruiting. For a kid who just wants to be at UF it won’t matter, but for a kid who is torn between schools it’s seems relationships are important. As they are to any human In almost any context.
Generally speaking I agree with this. But I’d note a few things. Not all kids want the same thing. Not all kids want the relationship. So different approaches can work.Also, UF has assistants who can build relationships. We’re comparing their HC to our DB coach.

All that said, it smells like Coker’s pitch to me and it’s going to lose more often than not. Signing day is like last call. Personality and motorcycle gone win over a boring guy with a nice degree almost eery dang time.

Advertisement
And since I keep mentioning coker, here was his old pitch - i still recall it quoted in a write-up. Maybe by a recruits father. Coker would say something along the lines of ‘there’s three things. Play for championships. Get a degree. Go to the NFL. If you can find another program that offers more than Miami on these things, you should go there. Otherwise come to Miami.’

It all sounded good at the time. But was smug. There was no fun, no passion, no emotion in any of it.

UF had the WR steward at the same time. Prob played a factor. We need to take advantage and recruit TF out of Gibson- Best WR in Florida NEED him

Gotta fight of GA and expect fsu to make a play cuz they have nobody...Helps them cuz pretty much any recruit can play for their trash *** - Hopefully gibson is smart and comes home to The Crib

UF had the WR steward at the same time. Prob played a factor. We need to take advantage and recruit TF out of Gibson- Best WR in Florida NEED him

Gotta fight of GA and expect fsu to make a play cuz they have nobody...Helps them cuz pretty much any recruit can play for their trash *** - Hopefully gibson is smart and comes home to The Crib
FSU has been on him strong all summer, I’ll continue to say that he will stay in state for school

Generally speaking I agree with this. But I’d note a few things. Not all kids want the same thing. Not all kids want the relationship. So different approaches can work.Also, UF has assistants who can build relationships. We’re comparing their HC to our DB coach.

All that said, it smells like Coker’s pitch to me and it’s going to lose more often than not. Signing day is like last call. Personality and motorcycle gone win over a boring guy with a nice degree almost eery dang time.
Every time I think of Coker the recruiter, I think of the phone call he made to Willie Williams about playing 3 years and going to the NFL.
you are correct about the Similarities in the recruiting style.

Advertisement
Coker should go down as one of the worst recruiters of all time. It is hard to imagine how one could possibly squander the goodwill value he inherited. He had the pick of the litter, maybe unlike any coach in Miami history, yet somehow engineered a complete program implosion in the span of a few years.

Coker should go down as one of the worst recruiters of all time. It is hard to imagine how one could possibly squander the goodwill value he inherited. He had the pick of the litter, maybe unlike any coach in Miami history, yet somehow engineered a complete program implosion in the span of a few years.
This is what i’ve said since like ‘02. Coker’s ‘04 class was the true nail in the coffin that ended the program. No recovering from it after the misses in ‘02-‘03.

What’s interesting is his ‘04 class was simultaneously one of the top rated classes that year (top 3 iirc), and maybe the worst class of any P5 school in 2 decades. We literally got one single actual significant player (Calais Campbell) from a class that had around 30 kids in it. Complete roster destruction. It’s almost certainly the biggest gap between eating and reality of any class at any school since the ratings system began. Has to be.

Coker didn’t even try. That’s what never sat well with me. He’d recruit off lists, offer kids no one watched, make a big show of recruiting Joe Joseph because the Gators were, when it should have been obvious he wasn’t a standout. Just awful.

Everything about him was bad. How was he as an assistant on the Coaching side? Obviously the players liked him because we read how they demanded that he be named HMIC.

Everything about him was bad. How was he as an assistant on the Coaching side? Obviously the players liked him because we read how they demanded that he be named HMIC.
Never listen to the players. At no time in history did Miami have more juice to sign an elite head coach than when Butch bolted. Instead, we hired a goofy, low energy, lazy career assistant who no other program would’ve even considered for that position.

Advertisement
This is what i’ve said since like ‘02. Coker’s ‘04 class was the true nail in the coffin that ended the program. No recovering from it after the misses in ‘02-‘03.

What’s interesting is his ‘04 class was simultaneously one of the top rated classes that year (top 3 iirc), and maybe the worst class of any P5 school in 2 decades. We literally got one single actual significant player (Calais Campbell) from a class that had around 30 kids in it. Complete roster destruction. It’s almost certainly the biggest gap between eating and reality of any class at any school since the ratings system began. Has to be.

Coker didn’t even try. That’s what never sat well with me. He’d recruit off lists, offer kids no one watched, make a big show of recruiting Joe Joseph because the Gators were, when it should have been obvious he wasn’t a standout. Just awful.

I had to go back and look just because I could not remember who all came in '04 and without having the stats to back it up, I think you are right, it was BAD....

Willie Williams and Lance Leggett were the crown jewels of that class and we all know what happened there.

Charlie Jones at RB 5* guy, Baby J took his job then the class had:

James Bryan
Andrew Johnson
Rhyan Anderson
Dwayne Hendricks
Kirby Freeman
Bobby Washington
Tyler McMeans

All the above were top 100 overall guys and really did squat here.

Rounding out the class

Derron THomas
Tyrone Byrd
Joe Joseph
Rashaun Jones
Anthony Reddick
Antonio Dixon
Chris Rutledge
Carlos Armour
Chris Zellner
Romeo Davis
Khalil Jones
Cedric Hill
George Timmons
Josh Kerr

Advertisement
Other notables from Gaby in the class: Armella, Agbo, Singletary, WB, Stewart, Lyons, Hastings, Kelly. No TE in the class and no Kamari. Basically has us hitting on essentially all our top targets left with a total of 18 commits.

Don‘t forget that he stressed it is heavily dependent on how our season goes starting with Bama

Other notables from Gaby in the class: Armella, Agbo, Singletary, WB, Stewart, Lyons, Hastings, Kelly. No TE in the class and no Kamari. Basically has us hitting on essentially all our top targets left with a total of 18 commits.

Wow, Gaby is bullish. I think Gaby is similar to Brad - good kid, does his homework, but sometimes lets emotion get too involved. I think that close is fantastic but I'll be shocked if we ended up with it.

Advertisement
Don‘t forget that he stressed it is heavily dependent on how our season goes starting with Bama
Correct, I assumed that was a general assumption in recruiting at this point for every class IF we **** the bed during the season, we likely do not get a lot of top kids. IF we have a great season, recruiting is likely better. It is not some big secret.

Was he the worst recruiter or worst evaluator/developer of talent? To me, those are two different things. His classes were highly rated with top guys at their positions all over, and guys that we beat other top schools for. But obviously those rankings never panned out in performance, and he clearly relied WAY too much on recruiting from lists instead of actually evaluating and projecting guys out.

That seems like a copout. We are nearly 20 point underdogs. Based on that, the likely outcome is a blowout loss. Is he saying we have to over perform compared to expectations, or just not lose by 50? If we lose Alabama and then win the coastal is that good enough?

Advertisement
Back