Jay Larrañaga

Once again, explain how and why kids historically have not attended Miami, and have gone to places like Tuscaloosa, Alabama, and Lexington Kentucky. Kids want to play at places in where they will be taken care of, places that give them the best chance of success. Tucson, Arizona isn't lit, but those men are treated like kings. Living in Miami, especially for an elite college athlete isn't that exciting. You aren't even a big fish in a small pond, you are insignificant to a majority of people in the city, because they deal with REAL celebrities on a semi-regular basis. A little story, from when I was in grad school. I used to see guys like Julian Gamble and Shane Larkin out all the time, they were just guys hanging out. No one noticed, nor cared. Compare that to Arizona, where Deondre Ayton gets mobbed **** near everywhere. Compare that to Kansas where guys on the squad, even walk-ons get first pick of the female student body. That isn't happening at Miami, DGs aren't lining up to sleep with Lonnie Walker, even though it's known he is months away from a payday.

By the way, the whole point of being in the hood is to get out. I'll never get how or why any person would wear being poor with little opportunity for advancement like a badge of honor. Then again, I stopped trying to reason with hood cats a long time ago. They take pride in being ignorant. The kind of kid intelligent and disciplined enough to earn notice for playing ball is most likely rational enough to not make selections based on how "Lit" campus is.

Again, you are naming blue bloods. No one expects us to out recruit the blue bloods, but anyone not in that category should be out recruited by us because of location. I used to see Davon Reed in the Grove all the time with a different girl. DGs aren't lining up to sleep with Lonnie you are right, but I am sure he gets plenty of ***** from local Miami girls. How many NBA players do you see on instagram trying to bag skinny blonde girls like the DG chicks? Some like that, but the sterotype that all black guys like white girls is a false narrative. The majority of people I know from the hood like thick black girls(Miami is the mecca for that). You don't think going to Miami is getting out of the hood? I didn't know the basketball players have dorms in Overtown.

Advertisement
Ayton is a star (likely #1 pick in NBA draft) far beyond what Larkin, and most definitely, Gamble, could ever aspire to be. Apples and oranges for sure.

Average guys on the team get a level of love that stars at a place like Miami would never get. Let that marinate. That's the difference between a school like Arizona and Miami. Lonnie Walker is by far the best recruit Miami has ever had, he's just a tall guy with odd hair at Miami. That level of recruit at Arizona is the biggest thing in town.

Average guys on the team get a level of love that stars at a place like Miami would never get. Let that marinate. That's the difference between a school like Arizona and Miami. Lonnie Walker is by far the best recruit Miami has ever had, he's just a tall guy with odd hair at Miami. That level of recruit at Arizona is the biggest thing in town.

Who claims we should be stealing recruits from Arizona? Everyone considers Zona to be a fringe blue blood/purple blood. Anyone thats not part of those categories should fall behind us in recruiting.

Who claims we should be stealing recruits from Arizona? Everyone considers Zona to be a fringe blue blood/purple blood. Anyone thats not part of those categories should fall behind us in recruiting.

Yeah, I'm not getting that either. Instead of trying to beat out Arizona for lottery picks, we should maybe try to beat out UC Santa Barbara and USF.

Advertisement
Yeah, I'm not getting that either. Instead of trying to beat out Arizona for lottery picks, we should maybe try to beat out UC Santa Barbara and USF.

Exactly. They try so hard to defend L that they can't see the bigger picture. No one expects us to outrecruit UNC, Duke, and the rest of the blue/purple bloods yet. We should absolutely should be out recruiting the rest of them.

They get that treatment because they're historically good. When we were good with Larkin they were essentially celebrities. I was in a frat and a few times we had a some football players crash our brothers only parties and everyone was cool with it. If Shane Larkin had showed up he'd have gotten right in. When we sucked we wouldn't have let them in.

And I find it really hard to believe you don't think Lonnie can pull a DG. Guarantee you he could take his pick. You don't think they wouldn't be down for one of the most popular guys in the school that's guaranteed millions of dollars and fame?

They get that treatment because they're historically good. When we were good with Larkin they were essentially celebrities. I was in a frat and a few times we had a some football players crash our brothers only parties and everyone was cool with it. If Shane Larkin had showed up he'd have gotten right in. When we sucked we wouldn't have let them in.

And I find it really hard to believe you don't think Lonnie can pull a DG. Guarantee you he could take his pick. You don't think they wouldn't be down for one of the most popular guys in the school that's guaranteed millions of dollars and fame?

Considering that the typical DG isn't all that into black guys(I dated a DG for most of undergrad, and let's just say that it wasn't the United Nations around there) and most of them could easily end up with a guy who already has bread due to his upbringing, I think it would be an uphill struggle. That is even if Lonnie found one to be his type, I don't know what works for the guy, so I'm not going to guess. That isn't the point I'm making, it was a mere example.

Once again, this is about large city living, vs being the only celebrities in town. Even at schools in which basketball isn't a high priority, you are still going to be somewhat near the top in regards to the social hierarchy, just because there is little else to do. Think about the following: Miami basketball, even when it's good is AT BEST the 5th coolest thing going on. You have pro sports(all of them), you have real celebrities coming around, you share campus with powerful, and accomplished football and baseball programs. Compare that to a place like Clemson where if you are part of a team worth a ****, you are easily the second most important group.

Again, you are naming blue bloods. No one expects us to out recruit the blue bloods, but anyone not in that category should be out recruited by us because of location. I used to see Davon Reed in the Grove all the time with a different girl. DGs aren't lining up to sleep with Lonnie you are right, but I am sure he gets plenty of ***** from local Miami girls. How many NBA players do you see on instagram trying to bag skinny blonde girls like the DG chicks? Some like that, but the sterotype that all black guys like white girls is a false narrative. The majority of people I know from the hood like thick black girls(Miami is the mecca for that). You don't think going to Miami is getting out of the hood? I didn't know the basketball players have dorms in Overtown.

Where did I start guessing about what guys would like? The entire crux of my argument is that in comparison to the typical college town, the social scene in Miami is overrated, especially for a likely middle class(Or lower) student-athlete. A lot of the coolest things about Miami, that makes it worth living in(Let's be honest, living in Miami long term is a nightmare), isn't available to the typical student athlete, even when things are good. Remember, you are a small fish in an ocean here in Miami, you aren't that in the typical college town. Even a place like Clemson, where basketball is an afterthought, you are still near the top, merely because it's a small town. Listening to our fanbase, you'd think that Miami is paradise, but for a basketball student-athlete, it's a bit overrated. It's nice, it's fun, but a lot of the best things cost money, and if you are a kid from a working class background, you aren't going to get a lot of those experiences. I've seen it firsthand, and been around guys who would openly state that in comparison to the guys they knew from AAU ball that chose typical college towns that those guys had it better. Even though, in some cases, they played on teams that stunk.

Advertisement
Considering that the typical DG isn't all that into black guys(I dated a DG for most of undergrad, and let's just say that it wasn't the United Nations around there) and most of them could easily end up with a guy who already has bread due to his upbringing, I think it would be an uphill struggle. That is even if Lonnie found one to be his type, I don't know what works for the guy, so I'm not going to guess. That isn't the point I'm making, it was a mere example.

Once again, this is about large city living, vs being the only celebrities in town. Even at schools in which basketball isn't a high priority, you are still going to be somewhat near the top in regards to the social hierarchy, just because there is little else to do. Think about the following: Miami basketball, even when it's good is AT BEST the 5th coolest thing going on. You have pro sports(all of them), you have real celebrities coming around, you share campus with powerful, and accomplished football and baseball programs. Compare that to a place like Clemson where if you are part of a team worth a ****, you are easily the second most important group.
Fair points in both paragraphs. Although in some cases I'd imagine fame + money outweighs only money, but good point that they don't usually date black guys. I feel like in regards to athletics we haven't had someone as hyped as Lonnie in a while though. We have great players on the football team, but none of them have been projected to be top 15 picks in recent years.

Fair points in both paragraphs. Although in some cases I'd imagine fame + money outweighs only money, but good point that they don't usually date black guys. I feel like in regards to athletics we haven't had someone as hyped as Lonnie in a while though. We have great players on the football team, but none of them have been projected to be top 15 picks in recent years.

When I was there DG mainly got with Pike, Sammy, and some random sig Chi guys and then random unaffiliated kids. However Pat O'donnel the punter was banging one of the DG chicks and Colin McCarthy was banging another. Since I still am friends with both girls I wont put their names out their, but Pat is still going out with the one chick, but Collin dumped the other one lol.

Where did I start guessing about what guys would like? The entire crux of my argument is that in comparison to the typical college town, the social scene in Miami is overrated, especially for a likely middle class(Or lower) student-athlete. A lot of the coolest things about Miami, that makes it worth living in(Let's be honest, living in Miami long term is a nightmare), isn't available to the typical student athlete, even when things are good. Remember, you are a small fish in an ocean here in Miami, you aren't that in the typical college town. Even a place like Clemson, where basketball is an afterthought, you are still near the top, merely because it's a small town. Listening to our fanbase, you'd think that Miami is paradise, but for a basketball student-athlete, it's a bit overrated. It's nice, it's fun, but a lot of the best things cost money, and if you are a kid from a working class background, you aren't going to get a lot of those experiences. I've seen it firsthand, and been around guys who would openly state that in comparison to the guys they knew from AAU ball that chose typical college towns that those guys had it better. Even though, in some cases, they played on teams that stunk.

First of all they arent planning on living in Miami long term its a 1-5 year thing for them. That is the perfect amount of time to enjoy Miami. You arent understanding a few things. Ya you could spend a lot of money if you are going to Liv, Mokai, Louie, Tree House, SLS and getting tables. If you go to the grove on a Tues or a Thurs or even one of the off nights you can spend nothing. Boardwalk used to have 25 cent pitcher nights and Tavern had some similar deals. Plenty of other places also had deals like that. You could take the bus on campus for free too. Look what the football players would do they would hang out with trick daddy and bring back thick Miami ******* to the dorms and run a train on them. Pretty much all my boys would come down to Miami once I got down there and slept over at my place because it was a free hotel basically. All of them where inner city kids. Did they want to go to DG events or D Phi E and try to bang them? No. Did they want to go bang the fat ******* at Tri Delt like Paranos thinks they want to do? No. They wanted to go and hang out at the mall/shopping areas in the more inner city areas and try to pull girls. And they found some thick girls and ended up bringing them back to campus and banging them out. Then where did they want to go at night? They already knew every place becuase of what they heard in rap songs. I already told them Liv would be expensive so they ended up going to Cameo and then KOD the last night didnt spend much money at either ended up picking some girls up(not strippers) and that was it. I am sure if you started telling people you play for the U it gets even easier.

When I was there DG mainly got with Pike, Sammy, and some random sig Chi guys and then random unaffiliated kids. However Pat O'donnel the punter was banging one of the DG chicks and Colin McCarthy was banging another. Since I still am friends with both girls I wont put their names out their, but Pat is still going out with the one chick, but Collin dumped the other one lol.
We definitely overlapped at the U. When did you graduate? I was 2014

Advertisement
Advertisement
We have, for the most part, recruited against the non-blue bloods pretty well. It's just that we've underachieved greatly in March the past 2 seasons, and now the FBI **** has completely ****ed our recruiting over to square one.

No chance Jay is coming to college, he is an NBA guy and has been on the short list for head coaching gigs already (including the Celtics before Stevens was hired).

OP should be looking at Caputo as the most likely successor.

BTW - I went to George Mason

You've obviously NEVER been to Tucson. I've spent a lot of time there. It's a very small city with an even smaller town vibe. There's really no place where you could even go in Tucson to get showered with the adoration you seem to think occurs.

You've obviously NEVER been to Tucson. I've spent a lot of time there. It's a very small city with an even smaller town vibe. There's really no place where you could even go in Tucson to get showered with the adoration you seem to think occurs.

A little factoid. I LIVE IN TUCSON. I see this crazy crap happen on a daily basis. This is a small town, that lives and dies by Arizona basketball. I've seen places **** near shut down because a UA player walked in. Grown people jock college kids something fierce here, and due to my connections with some of the media, I've been filled in on some things that you probably aren't privy to. It's the fact that the town doesn't have much going for it, that makes it extremely possible for a college basketball player, and coaching staff to be viewed as **** near gods, especially when things are going well.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back