Jay Larrañaga

A little history lesson for those who want L run out of town. Pitt fans thought they could easily do better than Jamie Dixon, despite him keeping them relevant, despite them being in the dance pretty much every year. They had some awful flameouts, but they were extremely competitive, and when you look at Pitt basketball, that's really all they've ever been. I bet you they would kill to have Dixon now.

NC State fans thought that Herb Sendek was garbage, despite them not finding much success after Valvano died. They consistently whined about his performance. How has that worked out? They haven't done much of anything since, and have been flat awful most of the time.

Sometimes, you can have eyes bigger than your stomach, and this is exactly what is going on in this fanbase. Yes, I'm disappointed about yesterday, Miami should have won that **** game, but let's stop acting like 10 years ago, we wouldn't have killed for regular tournament appearances and top 4 finishes in the ACC. A lot of us thought that was never going to happen for Miami basketball, unless the school lucked out and got a guy like Pitino or Calipari, who most likely would have bailed after initial success anyway. It finally happens, and for a lot of us, it's not good enough. I wanted a second weekend appearance too, but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. This isn't Arizona, where you get multiple lottery picks in every recruiting class. Lonnie Walker is the best recruit in program history, and schools like Duke get guys like him **** near every year. Yet, Miami is competing and beating schools like that on a regular basis. Let's have some perspective.

Who the **** wants to go to live in Pitt though. Take any 4-5* basketball player from an American hood and ask them if they would rather live in Miami or Pitt. I know we cant compete with the blue bloods, but we should blow the doors off Pitt and any of the other non-bluebloods in recruiting.

Advertisement
When does he become our HC?

Can’t take this lack of offensive identity and random substitutions anymore.

I appreciate Big L for what he’s done for this program, but this madness (pun intended) has to stop.

That was an absolute embarrassing loss, and there’s no excuse for it.
Were you at the Titanic watching the game?

Who the **** wants to go to live in Pitt though. Take any 4-5* basketball player from an American hood and ask them if they would rather live in Miami or Pitt. I know we cant compete with the blue bloods, but we should blow the doors off Pitt and any of the other non-bluebloods in recruiting.
Yeah man I went to a Miami Pitt game a few years ago in Pitt. God that place sucks. I've said that to some people before and they completely disagreed with me, but I hated it there.

Yeah man I went to a Miami Pitt game a few years ago in Pitt. God that place sucks. I've said that to some people before and they completely disagreed with me, but I hated it there.

Agreed. Very boring and ****** city. Its a city like Cleveland(which I never been too, but it also looks ******). I literally live in the north east my whole life and I have never heard a single person going to Pitt for vacation(unless they have fam there). Miami is easily the most popular vacation spot with LA second.

Advertisement
I love Coach L, but I don’t see him as the guy who is going to take us to the next level

Some of the so called “fans” on this board don’t understand the concept of increased expectations

We have the ability to be better, so why should we be ok with a tournament appearance every year?

That’s like saying we’re ok with making a bowl game every year

Coach L is a good coach but lacks the kick a$$ attitude to take us to the Finals. He is too much of a grandpa nice guy. .... His team's lack discipline and consistency needed to make a full run.

You're dead wrong. One of the most beautiful cities in the country.

Advertisement
lol idiotic fanbase.
I thought people had unrealistic expectations in football. Coach L has 2/3 of our Sweet 16 trips in history, taken us to the tourney three years in a row (4 times in total) when we've only been 10 times in HISTORY.

lol idiotic fanbase.
I thought people had unrealistic expectations in football. Coach L has 2/3 of our Sweet 16 trips in history, taken us to the tourney three years in a row (4 times in total) when we've only been 10 times in HISTORY.

I think we should be happy with that. Don't want the expectations to get any higher. That kind of stress around Hecht wouldn't be good.

Well he told our best player to drop the ball with 20 seconds to go and miss his free throws at the end. Seemed like a good strategy but sometimes it just doesn't work out.

Maybe he should get a "best player" who doesn't drop the ball or miss key free throws. But how could he possibly do that? We're not UNC or Duke and we never will be.

Advertisement
Well he told our best player to drop the ball with 20 seconds to go and miss his free throws at the end. Seemed like a good strategy but sometimes it just doesn't work out.
Exactly. Just didn't go our way. Had they not hit a crazy shot to end the game everyone would have praised Coach L for eking out a trap game.

It shouldn’t have come to that, we are way better than that team and most of the teams we lost to

Advertisement

Once again, fans overrate living in Miami. For a college kid, especially one from the inner city, it's a mediocre AT BEST experience. You aren't rich enough to really enjoy the major parts, and unlike bumble**** USA, you aren't getting much in the way of freebies, even when you are winning. Take it from someone who was on a first name basis with multiple members of the 2012 squad, even when things are going well, you aren't getting the kind of perks that you are getting in the typical college town. Pitt has a similar problem, but at least they are closer to the east coast talent pools, and their old Big East ties are still extremely strong. Miami was an outlier in the Big East days and while Miami recruits well from up north, schools like Pitt and others have historically been more popular in that area.

The formula for success at Miami has historically been hitting on transfers, and developing talent. L tried to change that formula in the last couple of years, and it hasn't worked nearly as well. Compare this year's team to the 2012 squad, or the 2015 edition. Those were teams in which you had some good transfers, and some guys that were developed over time. They may have not been as great athletically, or in regards to the recruit rankings, but something there was something there. Even when Angel was doing stupid crap, you could never doubt his heart and desire. Lonnie on the other hand mailed it in a ton this year, and you see that a lot with these "One and Done" types. L has to go back to the formula that worked. I believe that if a guy like Lonnie or Bruce comes back, the team as it stands today should be good enough to make another run, and I dare say it will do better than this year's team.

Once again, fans overrate living in Miami. For a college kid, especially one from the inner city, it's a mediocre AT BEST experience. You aren't rich enough to really enjoy the major parts, and unlike bumble**** USA, you aren't getting much in the way of freebies, even when you are winning. Take it from someone who was on a first name basis with multiple members of the 2012 squad, even when things are going well, you aren't getting the kind of perks that you are getting in the typical college town. Pitt has a similar problem, but at least they are closer to the east coast talent pools, and their old Big East ties are still extremely strong. Miami was an outlier in the Big East days and while Miami recruits well from up north, schools like Pitt and others have historically been more popular in that area.

The formula for success at Miami has historically been hitting on transfers, and developing talent. L tried to change that formula in the last couple of years, and it hasn't worked nearly as well. Compare this year's team to the 2012 squad, or the 2015 edition. Those were teams in which you had some good transfers, and some guys that were developed over time. They may have not been as great athletically, or in regards to the recruit rankings, but something there was something there. Even when Angel was doing stupid crap, you could never doubt his heart and desire. Lonnie on the other hand mailed it in a ton this year, and you see that a lot with these "One and Done" types. L has to go back to the formula that worked. I believe that if a guy like Lonnie or Bruce comes back, the team as it stands today should be good enough to make another run, and I dare say it will do better than this year's team.

Thats where you are wrong. Did you ever live in the inner city? Do you know anyone from the inner city? Kids from the inner city LOVE Miami. Most of them have never been their and just hear all of the rappers talking about it. It is like an imaginary paradise where every women is thick and hot and all the rappers and athletes go to chill. Whenever I told people I went to Miami. Every single person was like "You are so lucky", "how many ******* you bag", you ever see drake/ross/wayne/etc., every kid I know would have went to Miami if they had the chance. The only schools they would go over it is Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. and thats only because they know it would allow them to get more money in the end. Not because the campus.

Thats where you are wrong. Did you ever live in the inner city? Do you know anyone from the inner city? Kids from the inner city LOVE Miami. Most of them have never been their and just hear all of the rappers talking about it. It is like an imaginary paradise where every women is thick and hot and all the rappers and athletes go to chill. Whenever I told people I went to Miami. Every single person was like "You are so lucky", "how many ******* you bag", you ever see drake/ross/wayne/etc., every kid I know would have went to Miami if they had the chance. The only schools they would go over it is Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc. and thats only because they know it would allow them to get more money in the end. Not because the campus.

1990 called, they think your opinion is OUTDATED. Again, the concept of Miami, versus the actual reality are two different things, especially for a scholarship student-athlete. Kids aren't making decisions based on freaking rappers, especially athletes. Explain why even local kids bail from Miami every single year in football, even ones that you know didn't get a Alabama welcome bucket. Kids make decisions based on PT, based on what kind of system is ran, not because of "Hey, I may meet Drake in passing at some point".

1990 called, they think your opinion is OUTDATED. Again, the concept of Miami, versus the actual reality are two different things, especially for a scholarship student-athlete. Kids aren't making decisions based on freaking rappers, especially athletes. Explain why even local kids bail from Miami every single year in football, even ones that you know didn't get a Alabama welcome bucket. Kids make decisions based on PT, based on what kind of system is ran, not because of "Hey, I may meet Drake in passing at some point".

The hood called they said stay in the burbs. Don't try to talk for the hood when you aren't from their. If I wanted to know what sort of city Grayson Allen would like to play in then I would ask for your opinion. No one is going to Miami to meet drake you ignorant mf. They are going because they here Drake talk about how great Miami is in every song. They here him say this is the most lit campus he ever seen. They go because 2 chainz posts videos in Miami on a regular basis with the baddest *******. They go because they here Boosie saying its the best city in the world. Because Black Youngstah says it got the baddest *******. I wasnt even born in 1990 but, I heard a lot of music from the 90s and the only thing I heard about is 2 live crew getting clowned. Dipset made Miami popular in the mid 2000s as far as the hood is concerned and it only got more popular.

Advertisement
Back