Jay Larrañaga

Advertisement
We're not going to be great every year. People weren't sure we'd even make the tourney once Bruce went down. Compared to our history, we are on the way up.. teams will lose in the first round and be upset sometimes. I know the tourney is the most important part, but upsets happen, and I'm starting to see the same trend that you don't understand basketball. You have to look at the whole year. 3rd in ACC with our best player out is pretty **** good. I'm not happy with the tourney, but Coach L has done something no coach has been able to do here. He's gonna get 2 more years here to see if he can improve on what he's already done.

I don't understand basketball? That's what they said about me and baseball in 2010. Now I own that board because I led the charge that Jim Morris had gotten lazy after his divorce, marriage, and birth of his son. The result? Some of the worst baseball in Miami history has occurred in just the last eight seasons. They understand now.

WE CAN'T WIN TOUGH GAMES IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT. Making the tournament and losing is not moving up. Get your head out of the sand.

I don't understand basketball? That's what they said about me and baseball in 2010. Now I own that board because I led the charge that Jim Morris had gotten lazy after his divorce, marriage, and birth of his son. The result? Some of the worst baseball in Miami history has occurred in just the last eight seasons. They understand now.

WE CAN'T WIN TOUGH GAMES IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT. Making the tournament and losing is not moving up. Get your head out of the sand.
Dude, you've proven you know nothing when you said you can't get better at free throw shooting lmao.

Stop comparing this to baseball. It is in no way similar.

Making the tournament and losing is moving up when we were hardly ever good enough to make the tournament. Pretty simple to understand.

Dude, you've proven you know nothing when you said you can't get better at free throw shooting lmao.

Except that we lost because we couldn't hit a free throw in March after we couldn't make free throws in December.

Stop comparing this to baseball. It is in no way similar.

I'm comparing baseball fans to basketball fans. "We're fine. Everybody loses at some point".

Making the tournament and losing is moving up when we were hardly ever good enough to make the tournament. Pretty simple to understand.

Past tense. We got to the part where we make the tournament. Now we're on flat ground again. How long are you going to run with that line? If we make the tournament next year and lose the first game, are we still moving up?

322nd in the country in free throw shooting out of 351 teams. And I was certain that people told me we would just work on them in practice and that would fix everything.

Advertisement
Except that we lost because we couldn't hit a free throw in March after we couldn't make free throws in December.

I'm comparing baseball fans to basketball fans. "We're fine. Everybody loses at some point".

Past tense. We got to the part where we make the tournament. Now we're on flat ground again. How long are you going to run with that line? If we make the tournament next year and lose the first game, are we still moving up?
Oh no two years in a row we lost in the first round! That is not that long of a skid. Given our history it is not long enough to have a panic that we are now mediocre.

So you're sticking with the "can't improve at free throws" schtick huh? I guarantee we shot better from the line in Feb and March than December.

322nd in the country in free throw shooting out of 351 teams. And I was certain that people told me we would just work on them in practice and that would fix everything.
Alright I'm done replying to you. This is the epitome of ignorance. One team having a bad year is somehow unequivocal proof that you can't improve at free throw shooting. Go back to the baseball board.

Oh no two years in a row we lost in the first round! That is not that long of a skid. Given our history it is not long enough to have a panic that we are now mediocre.

So you're sticking with the "can't improve at free throws" schtick huh? I guarantee we shot better from the line in Feb and March than December.

Yes, we were at 62.5% in November and December, and 67.7% in February and March. Which means that in a game where we shoot 13 free throws, like yesterday, we made .676 more free throws than we made in a game in December. I'm not sure I saw where that one-half of a free throw made a difference.

Alright I'm done replying to you. This is the epitome of ignorance. One team having a bad year is somehow unequivocal proof that you can't improve at free throw shooting. Go back to the baseball board.

You want me to leave the board because you don't like being challenged. You like the comfort of being around people who agree with you.

Advertisement
You want me to leave the board because you don't like being challenged. You like the comfort of being around people who agree with you.

You are clueless. Blaming the coach for players missing free throws? All he can do is make them practice as much as possible and he did. Not his fault they don't make them. Plenty of his teams here have been good free throw shooting teams...blame is on the players there not the coach. Saying we can't win tough games in the NCAA tourney when they made a lucky 40 foot shot to beat us is also ridiculous. And you do realize he beat Wichita State 2 years ago in a "tough" NCAA game. He also beat Illinois in a "tough" NCAA game back in '13. So cut the BS .

As for getting rid of Coach L, you again are delusional. We have a winning record against Duke and a .500 record against UNC with coach L. Typically finish in the top tier of the ACC standings. In order to make Miami a real contender come tourney time, it takes years. Coach L had us there with an incredible recruiting class last year, a very talented roster, and were in the top 3 for major recruits for '18. Then the FBI ****ed us and now everything Coach L built and all the momentum we had has stopped.

With all that being said, Coach L did not have a good year. I think it's fair to criticize him for this year but by no means should we fire him. I do think we need to fire our assistant coach responsible for the offense because our offense was pathetic this year. But to fire the man who has built this program up and had us primed to be a contender every year until the FBI ****ed us is beyond ridiculous.

Yes, we were at 62.5% in November and December, and 67.7% in February and March. Which means that in a game where we shoot 13 free throws, like yesterday, we made .676 more free throws than we made in a game in December. I'm not sure I saw where that one-half of a free throw made a difference.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha oh my god you are the stupidest person on the board by far. "Uhh yeah we shot better over time but i see no difference only 5% so uh yes, u cant get no better at free throes." Holy **** lmaoooo. I've wasted all that time arguing with a dude that can't think past the 3rd grade level. Holy moly. Thanks for the laugh at least.

While I think a reevaluation of things is in order, let's not forget the same assistant coaching staff was in place for the sweet 16 run in 2016.

You could make the argument that Huger and Konkol brought cohesion. I think JB and Fish are better recruiters.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha oh my god you are the stupidest person on the board by far. "Uhh yeah we shot better over time but i see no difference only 5% so uh yes, u cant get no better at free throes." Holy **** lmaoooo. I've wasted all that time arguing with a dude that can't think past the 3rd grade level. Holy moly. Thanks for the laugh at least.

That difference in percentage is not statistically significant. We weren't any better at the end of the year. We shot 61% in that last game. We shot 66% on the season. So we shot worse than our average in the last game of the season after all of that free throw practice.

Your last resort has been to lean on a 5% difference in free throw percentage. One half of one free throw per game. That's the improvement that "top 5 coach" Jim Mullenaga was able to produce.

Stay with us next year with no recruits so you can tell us that we're still moving up.

Advertisement
You are clueless. Blaming the coach for players missing free throws? All he can do is make them practice as much as possible and he did. Not his fault they don't make them.

Right, nothing the head coach can do. It's the players' fault.

Saying we can't win tough games in the NCAA tourney when they made a lucky 40 foot shot to beat us is also ridiculous.

Make no mistake, I wasn't counting the game against an 11-seed as a tough game. That game is supposed to be a win.

And you do realize he beat Wichita State 2 years ago in a "tough" NCAA game. He also beat Illinois in a "tough" NCAA game back in '13. So cut the BS .

#3 vs #11 is a tough game now? My god, you people set the bar low.

As for getting rid of Coach L, you again are delusional. We have a winning record against Duke and a .500 record against UNC with coach L. Typically finish in the top tier of the ACC standings. In order to make Miami a real contender come tourney time, it takes years. Coach L had us there with an incredible recruiting class last year, a very talented roster, and were in the top 3 for major recruits for '18.

The guy is 68 years old and can't get past the first round. We don't have the luxury of waiting "years" for him to figure things out.

This program has NO winning tradition and has to go out of the country to find marginally talented players. I think Coach L has done the best he could under the circumstances. Next year, once again, he’ll have to attract players from areas no established program would even consider. Miami’s never winning a basketball NC, under Coach L or anyone else.

He needs better players. He is a great coach. There are only a few who can coach as good and get better players. My guess is they don't want to coach at Miami. Stick with coach L. The best we will get.

Next year looks bleak... No kids coming in.... Take a step back.

Better players? This was the most talented team he has had here

Advertisement
That difference in percentage is not statistically significant. We weren't any better at the end of the year. We shot 61% in that last game. We shot 66% on the season. So we shot worse than our average in the last game of the season after all of that free throw practice.

Your last resort has been to lean on a 5% difference in free throw percentage. One half of one free throw per game. That's the improvement that "top 5 coach" Jim Mullenaga was able to produce.

Stay with us next year with no recruits so you can tell us that we're still moving up.
Oh yeah you ran the statistical analysis on that? And then you try to disprove it by giving me one game hahaha. Make up your mind, are you looking at it from a statistical standpoint or not? You can't look at one game in that case you ******* idiot. Please keep these coming.

..everyone knows we're likely going to have a worse year next year. I mean do you really think you have a point there? Everyone knows the FBI investigation ****ed our class. I truly don't get why you'd even try to argue that point. That is probably the worst point you could argue, and yet, you chose it. Fitting.

A little history lesson for those who want L run out of town. Pitt fans thought they could easily do better than Jamie Dixon, despite him keeping them relevant, despite them being in the dance pretty much every year. They had some awful flameouts, but they were extremely competitive, and when you look at Pitt basketball, that's really all they've ever been. I bet you they would kill to have Dixon now.

NC State fans thought that Herb Sendek was garbage, despite them not finding much success after Valvano died. They consistently whined about his performance. How has that worked out? They haven't done much of anything since, and have been flat awful most of the time.

Sometimes, you can have eyes bigger than your stomach, and this is exactly what is going on in this fanbase. Yes, I'm disappointed about yesterday, Miami should have won that **** game, but let's stop acting like 10 years ago, we wouldn't have killed for regular tournament appearances and top 4 finishes in the ACC. A lot of us thought that was never going to happen for Miami basketball, unless the school lucked out and got a guy like Pitino or Calipari, who most likely would have bailed after initial success anyway. It finally happens, and for a lot of us, it's not good enough. I wanted a second weekend appearance too, but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. This isn't Arizona, where you get multiple lottery picks in every recruiting class. Lonnie Walker is the best recruit in program history, and schools like Duke get guys like him **** near every year. Yet, Miami is competing and beating schools like that on a regular basis. Let's have some perspective.

Last edited:
Oh yeah you ran the statistical analysis on that? And then you try to disprove it by giving me one game hahaha. Make up your mind, are you looking at it from a statistical standpoint or not? You can't look at one game in that case you ******* idiot. Please keep these coming.

..everyone knows we're likely going to have a worse year next year. I mean do you really think you have a point there? Everyone knows the FBI investigation ****ed our class. I truly don't get why you'd even try to argue that point. That is probably the worst point you could argue, and yet, you chose it. Fitting.

It's a difference of one half of a point per game. Of course that isn't statistically significant. If you would stop being so emotional you might understand this. That's the difference two months of free throw practice made. One half of one point.

It's a great point because it's more evidence that we aren't "moving up". Sweet 16, first round, first round, and next year we're staring at the NIT if we catch some breaks. You look at those four seasons and say "yeah, looks good. Moving up". You deserve first round losses because you continue to support that crap.

A little history lesson for those who want L run out of town. Pitt fans thought they could easily do better than Jamie Dixon, despite him keeping them relevant, despite them being in the dance pretty much every year. They had some awful flameouts, but they were extremely competitive, and when you look at Pitt basketball, that's really all they've ever been. I bet you they would kill to have Dixon now.

NC State fans thought that Herb Sendek was garbage, despite them not finding much success after Valvano died. They consistently whined about his performance. How has that worked out? They haven't done much of anything since, and have been flat awful most of the time.

Sometimes, you can have eyes bigger than your stomach, and this is exactly what is going on in this fanbase. Yes, I'm disappointed about yesterday, Miami should have won that **** game, but let's stop acting like 10 years ago, we wouldn't have killed for regular tournament appearances and top 4 finishes in the ACC. A lot of us thought that was never going to happen for Miami basketball, unless the school lucked out and got a guy like Pitino or Calipari, who most likely would have bailed after initial success anyway. It finally happens, and for a lot of us, it's not good enough. I wanted a second weekend appearance too, but I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater. This isn't Arizona, where you get multiple lottery picks in every recruiting class. Lonnie Walker is the best recruit in program history, and schools like Duke get guys like him **** near every year. Yet, Miami is competing and beating schools like that on a regular basis. Let's have some perspective.

Who the **** wants to go to live in Pitt though. Take any 4-5* basketball player from an American hood and ask them if they would rather live in Miami or Pitt. I know we cant compete with the blue bloods, but we should blow the doors off Pitt and any of the other non-bluebloods in recruiting.

Advertisement
Back