Jason Whitlocks prediction on next UM coach

Oregon actually proves that offense is the name of the game.

They're in Bum**** Egypt with zero recruiting base, yet they played in 4 consecutive BCS bowl games, and 2 title games in the past 5 years. That's coaching.

Right.....here we go with the "Oregon does it with 3 star players" routine. Like I said, people think it's 1983.

If you bothered to look it up, they currently have commits from coast to coast. They are a national brand that gets blue chip players. But their philosophy leaves them coming up short every single year.

Advertisement
Since when does Baylor have a ceiling? I swear, people are living in 1983. Baylor recruits to have an elite offense.

Florida State gave up points to a great Auburn offense. If Oregon is in that game, Oregon wins. The fact that Florida State had some idea what to do on defense is what won the game.

Oh, okay. So Baylor could consistently put out top 5 defenses if they wanted to? They just refuse to recruit good players on defense? Really?

And FSU won the game because of offense. They hardly stopped Auburn at all.

Top 5 defenses? In that conference? Not humanly possible. Florida can't even put up a top five defense, and they have just about the nastiest defense in the country. Baylor chooses not to play defense. They have a head coach with a genius offensive mind and they try to win by putting up 70 points per game. That is not in dispute.

Florida State won because their defense was better than anyone else who could have played Auburn. Auburn scores 50 against anyone else not named Alabama or LSU, who, coincidentally, also have championships while playing some level of defense.

Oregon actually proves that offense is the name of the game.

They're in Bum**** Egypt with zero recruiting base, yet they played in 4 consecutive BCS bowl games, and 2 title games in the past 5 years. That's coaching.

Right.....here we go with the "Oregon does it with 3 star players" routine. Like I said, people think it's 1983.

If you bothered to look it up, they currently have commits from coast to coast. They are a national brand that gets blue chip players. But their philosophy leaves them coming up short every single year.

How do you think they became a national brand?

Man, if only they decided to recruit better players on defense...

Top 5 defenses? In that conference? Not humanly possible. Florida can't even put up a top five defense, and they have just about the nastiest defense in the country. Baylor chooses not to play defense. They have a head coach with a genius offensive mind and they try to win by putting up 70 points per game. That is not in dispute.

Florida State won because their defense was better than anyone else who could have played Auburn. Auburn scores 50 against anyone else not named Alabama or LSU, who, coincidentally, also have championships while playing some level of defense.

Are you saying Baylor could crank out Alabama-level defenses if they simply put their mind to it?

How dense can you be? Oregon chooses not to focus on defense. I really didn't think anyone still questioned this.

2014 - blown out, no defense
2013 - eliminated when the offense didn't show up, defense allowed 42 points
2012 - lost as the #1 team in the country when Stanford, who plays defense, stuck it up their ***; offense score 14 pts
2011 - outscored twice, giving up 38 and 40 points

What was your argument again?

Advertisement

How dense can you be? Oregon chooses not to focus on defense. I really didn't think anyone still questioned this.

2014 - blown out, no defense
2013 - eliminated when the offense didn't show up, defense allowed 42 points
2012 - lost as the #1 team in the country when Stanford, who plays defense, stuck it up their ***; offense score 14 pts
2011 - outscored twice, giving up 38 and 40 points

What was your argument again?

I'm done because you've made up your mind, and you're arguing nonsense.

Oregon chooses not to play defense? Does that mean teams that are good on defense choose not to play offense? Is that why Stanford hasn't won a title, because they choose not to be good on offense?

Did Alabama choose not to play defense when Ole Miss scored 43 on them? What about when Ohio St* scored 42 on them in the playoffs last year? What about in 2013 when Auburn scored 34, and Oklahoma scored 45?

Has LSU chosen not to be good on offense the last 8 years?

You can be good on offense AND defense. There is plenty of evidence of this, but you choose to ignore it and simply say those teams were good on defense, as if it were an accident that they were good on offense, too.

I'm done because you've made up your mind, and you're arguing nonsense.

Oregon chooses not to play defense? Does that mean teams that are good on defense choose not to play offense? Is that why Stanford hasn't won a title, because they choose not to be good on offense?

Did Alabama choose not to play defense when Ole Miss scored 43 on them? What about when Ohio St* scored 42 on them in the playoffs last year? What about in 2013 when Auburn scored 34, and Oklahoma scored 45?

Has LSU chosen not to be good on offense the last 8 years?

You can be good on offense AND defense. There is plenty of evidence of this, but you choose to ignore it and simply say those teams were good on defense, as if it were an accident that they were good on offense, too.

You simply don't understand the sport if you don't get that programs emphasize certain aspects of the game. Baylor is so good in their passing game because they literally spend 80% of their time perfecting it. There aren't two sides of the practice field where each unit is working on their own thing. Art Briles chooses offense. Same with Mike Leach. It's impossible to have a QB who throws for 500 yards per game AND a vicious, attacking defense. There just aren't enough hours in the week.

Sure, every now and then a team puts it together on both sides of the field. But no one does it consistently. The teams that play defense, however, are typically the most consistent. Your Oregons and Baylors are the ones who are all over the place.

You simply don't understand the sport if you don't get that programs emphasize certain aspects of the game. Baylor is so good in their passing game because they literally spend 80% of their time perfecting it. There aren't two sides of the practice field where each unit is working on their own thing. Art Briles chooses offense. Same with Mike Leach. It's impossible to have a QB who throws for 500 yards per game AND a vicious, attacking defense. There just aren't enough hours in the week.

Sure, every now and then a team puts it together on both sides of the field. But no one does it consistently. The teams that play defense, however, are typically the most consistent. Your Oregons and Baylors are the ones who are all over the place.

That's exactly what goes on in practice.

And FSU had a top-ranked defense while Jameis threw well over 4,000 yards.

The only argument I buy for offenses affecting defenses is tempo. Playing more plays is going to drag down your defense's numbers a bit, but you can still play good defense, and get critical stops when need be (as evidenced by TCU last year when they had a top 10 defense).

Advertisement
Didn't I already dispel the myth that Oregon didn't play defense under Chip Kelly like six pages back? How is that even a debate anymore? My goodness, his defenses were nearly on par with Butch's BEST defense. This yards per game way of evaluating defenses is hilariously short-sided and simple-minded. Just remove the yards per game way of thinking from your mind. This is how Golden tried to sell us on his defensive "improvements." Miami is currently 104th in defensive yards per play at 6.0 yards per play.

Oregon was an awesome program under Kelly, and he would destroy the world at Miami.

Houston, under Tom Herman, is 17th in yards per play allowed at 4.5 yards per play. They were at 4.8 last year, so they were already solid defensively, but have taken a nice step up. Offensively, they're also 17th in yards per play at 6.5 yards per play, but this is a marked improvement over the 5.4 yards per play they were last year.

You can do both- you just need good coaches to do so. Baylor leads in this stat at an absurd 8.4 yards per play. This is actually up from 6.3 yards per play last year. This notion that Baylor always does this is simply false. They are light years better this year offensively than last year. Baylor is 28th in yards per play allowed at 4.8, which is down from 5.2 last year (granted they have the hard part of their schedule to come). It was mentioned earlier than Baylor could have a Mizzou level defense rather than an Alabama level defense. Alabama is tied for 2nd nationally at 4.0 yards per play, with...Mizzou.

With all that said, you've got to have a mix to win big-time. Ohio State was 11th in yards per play allowed last year, and 5th in yards per play on offense. They were the best combined total team in the country last year. Oklahoma leads this year with a combined 15 (10th in offense, 5th in defense).

If there was any possible where Chip is in play as a coaching candidate, you'd have to be a complete ****** to say he shouldn't be the top candidate.

Advertisement
The question is why would his defense suck in Miami with the top recruits year in and year out.

Because not one coach has figured out how to have a great offense AND a great defense on a consistent basis. The guys who put up the 60 point video game totals can only do so when they devote the program's entire load of resources on it. Do you think it's a coincidence that Briles, Patterson, Leach, C. Kelly, Fuente, etc., all have terrible defenses? And don't tell me that it's the players or a "good DC", because Patterson used to play defense. Now he can't find a way to do both.

Those guys put every ounce of energy into the offense and hope the defense can just make a stop every now and then.

This season here is Patterson worst year as far as defenses go. His name belongs nowhere near them other dudes you listed. Even in the Big 12 it hasn't been horrible or on the level that Briles, Leach or Kelly are/were at. When in the MWC he was one of the top defenses year in and out compared to Fuente. Granted Fuente doesn't have the foundation built at Memphis but still, you brought him up.

Just last season it was the 18th total D and 8th scoring D. They lost 6 starters from a year ago. Then add on top of that, many of the returning starters are not playing.

Davion Pierson DT Head Injury
Mike Tuaua DE Suspended
James McFarland DE SEI
Sammy Douglas LB SEI
Ranthony Texada CB SEI

Davion Pierson DT Head Injury
Mike Tuaua DE Suspended
James McFarland DE SEI
Sammy Douglas LB SEI
Ranthony Texada CB SEI

what's an SEI?

some extremity incapacitated?

Looks like he's got an extremity, Bob. I don't think he'll be back in this game. lol

Advertisement
Butch Hiring Day is 21 away

Still looking? Searching? Wandering aimlessly in the desert of CORCHES?

I must be looking for something
Something sacred I lost
But the river is wide
And it's too hard to cross

And even though I know the river is wide
I walk down every evening and I stand on the shore
And try to cross to the opposite side
So I can finally find out what I've been looking for

I don't know why I go walking at night
But now I'm tired and I don't want to walk anymore
I hope it doesn't take the rest of my life
Until I find what it is that I've been looking for

In the middle of the night
I go walking in my sleep
Through the jungle of doubt
To a river so deep

[video=youtube;hSq4B_zHqPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq4B_zHqPM&list=PLb7YSwrGOyBRt2F1u0rln7M_ tYNquuTnw[/video]

Big Sky Cane can't think of anything to write.

I'm not even going to enter a thread (even though I just did) discussing the merits of a Chip Kelly hiring. If you would oppose a Chip hiring then please walk into oncoming traffic.

The fact that you fell for the whole "Chip Kelly to Miami" thing indicates that you have been hit by too many cars yourself.

I'm not even going to enter a thread (even though I just did) discussing the merits of a Chip Kelly hiring. If you would oppose a Chip hiring then please walk into oncoming traffic.

The fact that you fell for the whole "Chip Kelly to Miami" thing indicates that you have been hit by too many cars yourself.

I didn't fall for anything. I'm not saying he'll come or if there is even a chance. I'm not gonna sit around discussing "If hiring Chip Kelly would be a good idea for UM". Because, honestly, if you don't think he'd kill it here then you're more special than I thought.

I didn't fall for anything. I'm not saying he'll come or if there is even a chance. I'm not gonna sit around discussing "If hiring Chip Kelly would be a good idea for UM". Because, honestly, if you don't think he'd kill it here then you're more special than I thought.

It's a stupid topic to discuss. Why don't you start a thread asking how Tom Brady would do in the Big 12 if he played for West Virginia. I'm sure your fellow taters would argue about that too.

Advertisement
Back