Jason Whitlocks prediction on next UM coach

Here's the thing about scheming to overcome talent... when you get in a game where you lose every 1 on 1 matchup, you're gonna lose.

That's why spread teams end up losing the big game.

When a talented team runs a spread offense, you dominate most teams until you run into somebody with equal talent. Then, you better have your own D to back it up.

Your right.. when they get all the way to the playoffs and they come against the teams with the most depth and the best overall players at just about every position they lose.

That's exactly why it wouldn't be like that in Miami. We would be the team with the most depth and the best overall players at just about every position.

To me Chip is as much about recruiting then he is anything else. His name alone would put the fence up. His Offensive style would attract all of SFL top guns.

Somebody that gets it. I don't get why this is so difficult.

South Florida kids in space with a qb athletic enough to run .

There's not enough guys on defense to deal with all the wrinkles . Imagine our past wr's manned up in 1 on 1's in space. With no real way of doubling , unless you wanted to play Russian roulette.

Advertisement
Personally, I don't care if our offense runs a goal line set or wide open spread, so long as we are aggressive, effective, and have a coherent reason for doing it. Innovation would make it even better.

On the other side, the only reason that these offenses are unstoppable is that nobody has figured out the answer yet. Option was supposed to be unstoppable (and in some cases it was... 90's Nebraska, for example), but then somebody *ahem Go Canes!* figured out how to shut it down, and it pretty much went by the wayside. Ok, so the rules are stacked for receivers running free down the field... that's how it is. What are we gonna do about it?

I want the level of coach who can figure that isht out and make it happen with top level talent.

Kelly isn't really realistic at all... It'd be nice , but not in the realm of possibility .

Well it's realistic for someone. If things keep going the way they are with the Eagles I have little doubt he'll be fired....that town is unique and results are demanded almost immediately, especially when you factor in what they're paying him and the hype he brought along with him.

If Miami is serious about winning...that's a bidding war that is worth entering. The second he returns to the college game he's immediately one of the top 3 coaches in the entire country alongside Saban and Meyer. The opportunity cost of passing up on something like that just hurts to even think about. His scheme, his mind...combined with the skill position players he could stock pile from South Florida could create something college football has never seen.

I'm sorry...but he's worth waiting for...inquiring about...begging for...and most importantly SPENDING for. I don't want to hear this crap about Miami not having money, that's the biggest bull**** excuse of all time. It's all about how funds are presented and the University as a whole is infamous for moving funds around and allocating them in a way to give the perception of a "poor athletic department"...but the reality is the umbrella of organizations are very well funded.
I agree it would be a great hire, but to wait to December just for Kelly to go elsewhere would be a huge waste of time. Even if we do have 4 mil a year to pay chip will command more than that and we are still assuming that he gets fired from his current gig.

Just a pipe dream all around, and we could certainly make a great hire before then and get the ball rolling on 2016

Jagr should have retired after his "Kelly Golden has been summoned to the Hecht" post last week. He's been flailing since then. Yikes.

Advertisement
Because not one coach has figured out how to have a great offense AND a great defense on a consistent basis. The guys who put up the 60 point video game totals can only do so when they devote the program's entire load of resources on it. Do you think it's a coincidence that Briles, Patterson, Leach, C. Kelly, Fuente, etc., all have terrible defenses? And don't tell me that it's the players or a "good DC", because Patterson used to play defense. Now he can't find a way to do both.

Those guys put every ounce of energy into the offense and hope the defense can just make a stop every now and then.

TCU is struggling on defense this year because they've been absolutely decimated by injuries. Last year TCU was 18th in total defense and 8th in scoring defense. Let's also not forget that TCU and Memphis and other programs of that ilk don't load up on 4 and 5-star guys every year. Last year Memphis was ranked 27th in total defense, and 11th in scoring defense. This year they lost EIGHT starters as well as their DC (who's coordinating a top 5 defense in Missouri).

The high-scoring offenses put programs like Oregon and Baylor on the map. If they tried to run I-formation and blow people off the ball they would probably be perennial 4-win teams (like they were in the past). BTW Oregon had some decent defenses under Chip. They got a lot of sacks and forced a lot of turnovers. But there's only so much talent you can recruit to Eugene, OR.

People getting salty because they can't figure out why Baylor, TCU and Oregon can't win a title while FSU, Alabama, and Ohio State bring home the hardware. Guys, you're right. It's all about offense despite the glaring facts that are punching you in the face. Keep fighting the good fight.

FSU won the title with, I believe, the highest scoring team of all time. Ohio St* was 9th in total offense and 5th in scoring offense.

Not sure that validates the point you were trying to make.

Yes, defense is still important, but the name of the game right now is offense. FSU had a top-ranked defense the year they won the title, and Auburn absolutely SHREDDED them in the title game. They had defenders crawling off the field because of the tempo. Auburn probably wins the game if they don't drop a walk-in touchdown and take more time off the clock on their go-ahead touchdown drive late.

I don't know why people expect programs like Baylor and Memphis to be able to load up on both sides of the ball year in and year out like Alabama can. Those programs have gotten to where they are because of excellent coaching.

A guy who can do more with less (like Justin Fuente) would absolutely kill with Miami resources at his disposal.

Actually he's an east coast guy so saying there is no way doesn't make much sense.

Meant more because he's familiar with the Pac12 and USC is the best job available in college football. **** IMO, it might be better than if Texas is open.

People make moves all the time based on location, look at coach L. From what I understand he wants to be on the east coast and what better place than Miami if you from the north east. I remember hearing his name from an X member of the athletic department before golden was canned this year and though it was nuts but maybe there is some substance to this.

Don't even act like if you are deciding based off location USC is much worse than Miami. They are basically even. Miami and USC are basically very similar schools on opposite sides of the country. Only difference is USC has better facilities across the board and more money.

Location wise they are 3k miles apart, big difference, surely you can understand east coast vs west coast
That was one of the stupidest comments I've ever read.
View attachment 33451

Thanks for responding with a bunch of hypotheticals while I bury you people with stuff that actually happened.

"Feunte would kill it...."
"If Patterson could get players....."
"Imagine Kelly with South Florida players...."

In the meantime, the top ranked scoring defense has won the national championship three of the last four years while Gary Patterson and Art Briles are eliminating each other in 61-58 cartoon games.

Game, set, match.

Advertisement
FSU won the title with, I believe, the highest scoring team of all time.

Baylor was the highest scoring team that year. They lost two games, though, when they gave up 49 and 52 points.

My mistake. Baylor averaged 52.4, and FSU averaged 51.6.

How does that prove your point?

It proves that the teams that focus on offense first are the teams that lose 52-49. Florida State had the top scoring defense in the country. They won the national title. Teams that ignore defense win in September by 65 points and then lose in December or January.

Thanks for responding with a bunch of hypotheticals while I bury you people with stuff that actually happened.

"Feunte would kill it...."
"If Patterson could get players....."
"Imagine Kelly with South Florida players...."

In the meantime, the top ranked scoring defense has won the national championship three of the last four years while Gary Patterson and Art Briles are eliminating each other in 61-58 cartoon games.

Game, set, match.

You're flat-out ignoring information. FSU and Ohio St* had a explosive offenses, which dispels the myth that you can't have a good offense and a good defense. BTW the top 10 scoring defenses right now:

Wisconsin
Michigan
Missouri
Boston College
Ohio St*
Iowa
Florida
Appalachian St
Temple
Marshall

How many playoff contenders are on that list?

Advertisement
You're flat-out ignoring information. FSU and Ohio St* had a explosive offenses, which dispels the myth that you can't have a good offense and a good defense.

When did you change the argument? I jumped in when the taters said that it's all about offense and not defense anymore. Go back and look at their quotes. I never once claimed that you can't have both in any given season. What I am saying is that the programs that focus on offense NEVER have a good defense, and they ultimately lose when someone outscores them. Oregon is all I need to prove that.

I want a coach who plays defense.

It proves that the teams that focus on offense first are the teams that lose 52-49. Florida State had the top scoring defense in the country. They won the national title. Teams that ignore defense win in September by 65 points and then lose in December or January.

They also had the #2 scoring offense. Their defense got ripped apart in the title game. When you have elite talent, you can consistently be good on both sides of the ball.

Do you expect Baylor to recruit the same caliber of athletes as FSU? Do you think Baylor would somehow be a better program if they "focused" on defense? They have a ceiling.

Advertisement

They also had the #2 scoring offense. Their defense got ripped apart in the title game. When you have elite talent, you can consistently be good on both sides of the ball.

Do you expect Baylor to recruit the same caliber of athletes as FSU? Do you think Baylor would somehow be a better program if they "focused" on defense? They have a ceiling.

Since when does Baylor have a ceiling? I swear, people are living in 1983. Baylor recruits to have an elite offense.

Florida State gave up points to a great Auburn offense. If Oregon is in that game, Oregon wins. The fact that Florida State had some idea what to do on defense is what won the game.

You're flat-out ignoring information. FSU and Ohio St* had a explosive offenses, which dispels the myth that you can't have a good offense and a good defense.

When did you change the argument? I jumped in when the taters said that it's all about offense and not defense anymore. Go back and look at their quotes. I never once claimed that you can't have both in any given season. What I am saying is that the programs that focus on offense NEVER have a good defense, and they ultimately lose when someone outscores them. Oregon is all I need to prove that.

I want a coach who plays defense.

Because not one coach has figured out how to have a great offense AND a great defense on a consistent basis.

You can do both, but you have to have the talent base.

Oregon actually proves that offense is the name of the game.

They're in Bum**** Egypt with zero recruiting base, yet they played in 4 consecutive BCS bowl games, and 2 title games in the past 5 years. That's coaching.

Since when does Baylor have a ceiling? I swear, people are living in 1983. Baylor recruits to have an elite offense.

Florida State gave up points to a great Auburn offense. If Oregon is in that game, Oregon wins. The fact that Florida State had some idea what to do on defense is what won the game.

Oh, okay. So Baylor could consistently put out top 5 defenses if they wanted to? They just refuse to recruit good players on defense? Really?

And FSU won the game because of offense. They hardly stopped Auburn at all.

Advertisement
Back