Jason Whitlocks prediction on next UM coach

Sadly, the only one that comes to mind is Urban. All the others are some anomaly of a superhero player on O (Vick, Cam Newton, Vince Young, crab legs)

Agreed, and even Urban had a terrible offense as soon as he lost Tebow.

True, but they were still pretty good last year with 3rd string qb Cardale? Jones.

I feel like Spurrier at UF had the same kind of mojo. For him, the offense was always there. When he got those top 10 defenses, which was more often than not, they were **** hard to beat (unless you had a U on your helmet lol). It never quite translated for him at USC tho. Never seemed to have the consistent running game.

Advertisement
The question is why would his defense suck in Miami with the top recruits year in and year out.

Because not one coach has figured out how to have a great offense AND a great defense on a consistent basis. The guys who put up the 60 point video game totals can only do so when they devote the program's entire load of resources on it. Do you think it's a coincidence that Briles, Patterson, Leach, C. Kelly, Fuente, etc., all have terrible defenses? And don't tell me that it's the players or a "good DC", because Patterson used to play defense. Now he can't find a way to do both.

That's the whole point... Miami doesnt have to run out of resources. Miami can get the top big uglies and depth that none of those other schools can.

If we had recruiting classes that ranked in comparison to every other school on that list we would have shut the football program down.

Quit living in the 1980's. TCU and Oregon can get whoever they **** well want. TCU is the king of Texas right now. Those coaches choose offense and put 95% of the program's focus on offense. Chip Kelly's mind is all about offense. But please, show me the list of coaches who are doing it both, year in and year out.

Wow you did say that with some authority...

It was completely baseless and wrong but I guess that explains why you don't see it.

TCU last 4 years have avg recruiting class of 37. No classes inside the top 30.

The kids on the field while Chip was coach avg the 21st ranked class.

Lets compare that to FSU, OSU and Alabama over the past 5 years.

Bama avg class 1.2
FSU Avg class 5
OSU Avg class 5.8

Really glad we had this talk and yes talent does matter.

Pats win more because of that guy # 12. Belichik without 12 has the same amount if sb' as I do.

Along those same lines, Chip Kelly, Art Briles, and Gary Patterson have as many titles as my yard guy does.

Hey Mr I'm stuck in the 80's football, there's a lot more history with the pro style than the spread. Also those schools have nowhere the talent that your handful of schools have. It's the same three schools. Pretty much consistently bama.

Why would anybody want to run an offense that " needs" elite talent to be successful ? You need far superior players .

That makes zero sense, it's just stupid. I'd rather run a offense that out schemes teams , where if the occasion comes that my roster isn't all five stars I can still win. It makes scoring far easier , which makes winning easier.

I doubt guys like you have never played or coached against a spread offense. I'm positive of that.

They're absolute **** to prepare for . Ask any DC and they'll tell you preparing for a spread offense is far more difficult than a pro style . The space takes away your talent advantage , and that's why teams like Oregon use it. That scheme alone has them winning 11 games a year with an undersized roster and 2-3 star talent .

Not everybody can land number one classes every year .

What's funny is these idiots stuck in the past with the pro style offense and 4-3 defense, forget Mia was once innovators . We brought the pro style to college when it was wishbone . We brought 4-3 when everyone was using 3-4 / 4/4. We brought smaller quicker defenders when everyone was big and slow. Dennis Erickson brought the single back/ spread offense to miami.

But heaven forbid we keep up with the times , or get ahead of the curb.

Let's run our 4-3 cover 2, pro style offense and have all Canes on the staff.

It's the most clueless fanbase, that can't get out of the 80's - 2000's.

It's just comical

The question is why would his defense suck in Miami with the top recruits year in and year out.

Because not one coach has figured out how to have a great offense AND a great defense on a consistent basis. The guys who put up the 60 point video game totals can only do so when they devote the program's entire load of resources on it. Do you think it's a coincidence that Briles, Patterson, Leach, C. Kelly, Fuente, etc., all have terrible defenses? And don't tell me that it's the players or a "good DC", because Patterson used to play defense. Now he can't find a way to do both.

That's the whole point... Miami doesnt have to run out of resources. Miami can get the top big uglies and depth that none of those other schools can.

If we had recruiting classes that ranked in comparison to every other school on that list we would have shut the football program down.

Quit living in the 1980's. TCU and Oregon can get whoever they **** well want. TCU is the king of Texas right now. Those coaches choose offense and put 95% of the program's focus on offense. Chip Kelly's mind is all about offense. But please, show me the list of coaches who are doing it both, year in and year out.

No they cant. IIRC neither have been top ten/15 the past 5 years

I approve of this post.

Miami used to be innovative, now we are stuck in the past. It's weird

defense still wins championships....get out of here with that nonsense. only auburn in 2010 had a mediocre defense View attachment 33443

Yeah, I'm not buying all this innovative offenses...

Check it....Baylor, leads nation in scoring...how many chips they have?
Oregon, led nation in scoring, how many chips they have?
TCU?
K-State?

FSU won the title in 2013 w a great O and D
OSU won the title last yr w/ a great O and D
Bama have dominated the circuit w/ a great D
LSU won two chips w/ a great D
Auburn won w/ a stout D

You need defense to win titles. Ask the Seahawks, Ask the Pats, Ask the Steelers, Ask Urban, Ask Bellichick, Ask Saban....

You can put up pinball scores all you want, but when it comes down to the championship game....yeah, you need that D to win it.

exactly because when you get in a close game in any sport it comes down to who can stop who. if you cant stop anyone from scoring you cant win the game.

Pats win more because of that guy # 12. Belichik without 12 has the same amount if sb' as I do.

check out the Pats teams on the other side of the ball as well. When their defense was down, they didn't win

Advertisement
People getting salty because they can't figure out why Baylor, TCU and Oregon can't win a title while FSU, Alabama, and Ohio State bring home the hardware. Guys, you're right. It's all about offense despite the glaring facts that are punching you in the face. Keep fighting the good fight.

It was completely baseless and wrong but I guess that explains why you don't see it.

Bama avg class 1.2
FSU Avg class 5
OSU Avg class 5.8

These simpletons don't realize these offenses are making up for lack of talent. That tells you how impressive the schemes are. Just imagine those schemes with elite talent . Or just good talent .

Tcu, Baylor and Oregon challenge for titles with majority scheme. Any qb they put in their system balls out, why wouldn't anybody want a plug in play system? Baylor keeps losing qb's and keeps winning 11-12 games.

The funny thing is nobody runs a straight up pro style anymore, it's multiple or spread. Alabama uses a bunch of spread formations during a game.

No they cant. IIRC neither have been top ten/15 the past 5 years

Oh the world these arguments live in. Where talent doesn't matter in college football. All that matters is the coach and system. These stats are like dinosaur bones. Just meant to distract us.

Advertisement
defense still wins championships....get out of here with that nonsense. only auburn in 2010 had a mediocre defense View attachment 33443

Yeah, I'm not buying all this innovative offenses...

Check it....Baylor, leads nation in scoring...how many chips they have?
Oregon, led nation in scoring, how many chips they have?
TCU?
K-State?

FSU won the title in 2013 w a great O and D
OSU won the title last yr w/ a great O and D
Bama have dominated the circuit w/ a great D
LSU won two chips w/ a great D
Auburn won w/ a stout D

You need defense to win titles. Ask the Seahawks, Ask the Pats, Ask the Steelers, Ask Urban, Ask Bellichick, Ask Saban....

You can put up pinball scores all you want, but when it comes down to the championship game....yeah, you need that D to win it.

exactly because when you get in a close game in any sport it comes down to who can stop who. if you cant stop anyone from scoring you cant win the game.

check out the Pats teams on the other side of the ball as well. When their defense was down, they didn't win

They had the # 13 scoring D last year , giving up 20 ppg. They had top 3 scoring o, scoring 29 ppg. They win with an all time great qb that picks defenses apart.

Along those same lines, Chip Kelly, Art Briles, and Gary Patterson have as many titles as my yard guy does.

To be fair, Chip was a head coach in college for all of four years.

Yep, he's using 25 years of data to not even a decade. His data will look better. Lol

Just like when we started running pro style in the early 80's, a wishbone guy could say" how many pro style teams have won titles? Zero , look at all the wishbone teams that have".

People getting salty because they can't figure out why Baylor, TCU and Oregon can't win a title while FSU, Alabama, and Ohio State bring home the hardware. Guys, you're right. It's all about offense despite the glaring facts that are punching you in the face. Keep fighting the good fight.

You were the guy saying spreads can't win , now you're using Osu to your defense. Total jackass

Here's the thing about scheming to overcome talent... when you get in a game where you lose every 1 on 1 matchup, you're gonna lose.

That's why spread teams end up losing the big game.

When a talented team runs a spread offense, you dominate most teams until you run into somebody with equal talent. Then, you better have your own D to back it up.

Advertisement

Yep, he's using 25 years of data to not even a decade. His data will look better. Lol

Just like when we started running pro style in the early 80's, a wishbone guy could say" how many pro style teams have won titles? Zero , look at all the wishbone teams that have".

Love how you ignored Briles and Patterson while whining about "four years". Shall we throw Leach in there also? How about those glorious Hal Mumme offenses?

At the end of the day, it's defense that wins. And you can't stand it.

You were the guy saying spreads can't win , now you're using Osu to your defense. Total jackass

If you show me where I said "spreads can't win", I'll buy your season tickets next year. Making up something to argue against means you have some level of mental retardation.

^^^Football is football is football. Now or 20 years ago, championship fundamentals are the same: Best defense and offense that not only scores enough but also keeps the ball the longest. Defense + Score while possesses the ball the longest.

I believe in the saying, offense draws the crowed but defense wins championships.

Advertisement

Bama avg class 1.2
FSU Avg class 5
OSU Avg class 5.8

These simpletons don't realize these offenses are making up for lack of talent. That tells you how impressive the schemes are. Just imagine those schemes with elite talent . Or just good talent .

Tcu, Baylor and Oregon challenge for titles with majority scheme. Any qb they put in their system balls out, why wouldn't anybody want a plug in play system? Baylor keeps losing qb's and keeps winning 11-12 games.

The funny thing is nobody runs a straight up pro style anymore, it's multiple or spread. Alabama uses a bunch of spread formations during a game.

I know its like they have never seen an Alabama football game. Those guys a freaking monsters. They literally look like an NFL team. Go look at our 2001 DLine. It also looked like an Alabama front line. Fn Beasts everywhere. College football has the biggest talent disparity and yet we are not even supposed to give it credence. Its the whole reason why these innovations are being made. Now we are just supposed to ignore them because the teams with 4 times the talent don't use them all the time. If every team used the Alabama methods then they wouldn't win like they are winning. I also want to see 60 pt games. Sell some FN tix already.

Chip would be regarded as a top 3 coach the instant he comes back to college but these blow hards dont want him. FN ROTFL.

Love how you ignored Briles and Patterson while whining about "four years". Shall we throw Leach in there also? How about those glorious Hal Mumme offenses?

At the end of the day, it's defense that wins. And you can't stand it.

"I can't stand it"?

Dude I played defense, coached defense and consider myself a defensive guy. I'm just stating facts. That comment alone proves you don't know jack. You're making it a debate when it's not one . Playing elite, shutdown defense is over. Depending on a defense and run game to eek out games is over . Points are at an all time high, these offenses are unstoppable now. You just want to contain.

Years ago elite defense was in the 8-10 ppg range. Now elite defense is considered low 20's, high teens.Do the math .

You obviously lack the sense to get this debate.

Last edited:
Here's the thing about scheming to overcome talent... when you get in a game where you lose every 1 on 1 matchup, you're gonna lose.

That's why spread teams end up losing the big game.

When a talented team runs a spread offense, you dominate most teams until you run into somebody with equal talent. Then, you better have your own D to back it up.

Your right.. when they get all the way to the playoffs and they come against the teams with the most depth and the best overall players at just about every position they lose.

That's exactly why it wouldn't be like that in Miami. We would be the team with the most depth and the best overall players at just about every position.

To me Chip is as much about recruiting then he is anything else. His name alone would put the fence up. His Offensive style would attract all of SFL top guns.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back