Jason Munoz Commits

If I can add my two cents to this scholarly discussion of the proper designations of Latinos or Latin Americans, let me quote British General Webb (during the French and Indian War in the 1750’s):

“Kindly inform Major Heyward that he has little to fear from this General Marquis de Montcalm in the first place; and scant need of a colonial militia in the second because the French haven't the nature for war. Their Gallic laziness combines with their Latinate voluptuousness with the result that they would rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.”

Advertisement
This is how my wife explains it

To me Latino is people born in the USA of Hispanic decent except Mexicans.

Chicano is Mexicans born in the US.

Hispanics are people born outside the USA from Spanish Speaking countries countries from Central and South American Countries and the Caribbean. This also includes Brazil

West Indian is anyone born or descendants of Parents from the Caribbean or English speaking Central and South American Countries

More slaves were taken to Brazil than any other place. The original people from the land are israelites.The Latins invaded and changed everything there. That's why they're called Spanish and not Spaniards

Advertisement
Advertisement

Hispanics are people born outside the USA from Spanish Speaking countries countries from Central and South American Countries and the Caribbean. This also includes Brazil

West Indian is anyone born or descendants of Parents from the Caribbean or English speaking Central and South American Countries

Your wife is wrong. In CA at least, Mexicans often refer to themselves as Latino/a.

Advertisement
Yea the Moss's are down there and Acklins. My fam is from Acklins..but we had some in crooked island which is only like 5mins away. My fam in crooked island are the Scavella's.

When you go you have to go get something to eat at Gibson's Restaurant. Thats where we ate for lunch. Good food.

Theres not much to do down there at all..but it was cool to actually see where my grandparents were from.

Scavella?
UM had a pretty good LB back in the 1970s, Steadman Scavella.

Basically, Hispanic refers to language and Latino refers to geography. Both have been somewhat convoluted over time.

Advertisement
If I can add my two cents to this scholarly discussion of the proper designations of Latinos or Latin Americans, let me quote British General Webb (during the French and Indian War in the 1750’s):

“Kindly inform Major Heyward that he has little to fear from this General Marquis de Montcalm in the first place; and scant need of a colonial militia in the second because the French haven't the nature for war. Their Gallic laziness combines with their Latinate voluptuousness with the result that they would rather eat and make love with their faces than fight.”

French Indian war for cying out loud,words just can't,they just plainly can't

I live here They will call themselves Chicano before anything else

I live in Oakland. Many Mexicans in CA were not born here. So they would not call themselves chicano. Sorry man, your wife was wrong. The lainto/a term is so popular that now they are using "latinx" to be gender neutral. You might get a dirty look in Berkeley, CA if you say latino instead of "latin x".

Advertisement
Back