Jarrett Payton tweet about Miami welcoming back former players

Great to learn this. What’s changed between a year ago and today, if anything in this regard - like were you guys welcomed back with the same vigor and open-endedness then as now or did something move this into overdrive?
Main difference is last year while we were told we have an open door, we weren't encouraged per SE to always step through it. Now it's being made clear we're wanted on campus and we're appreciated.

Advertisement
Main difference is last year while we were told we have an open door, we weren't encouraged per SE to always step through it. Now it's being made clear we're wanted on campus and we're appreciated.
Long time coming. In addition, I think it establishes more brotherhood and pride for the program in a time where many players act like independent contractors.

I figure part of it is just a function of time. This time last year Mario was just getting started with his first year and Alonzo wasn't even on board yet formally. There was probably a lot of other things to check off on the priority list first

Brook
It seems that the words of Mario and Zo carry a lot more weight than previous Coaches.

You guys lived the era that others can only dream about.

Mario is a part of the fraternity that exude huge respect. Zo is icing on the cake.

Young Canes know and can recognize other players who have walked on " those hallowed grounds" as Mario likes to say.
Love it.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Let's see how much Payton values the invite back when he finds out the Tavern isn't open any longer!

I joke....but only kinda.....JP was a Vern fixture. Dude even used to beertend there. Was there so often that I had friends that always used to blame it on any of his lackluster performances when it was probably just more reflective of the limits of his actual abilities.

I always liked the guy. Had a pretty normal college experience and was a pretty normal dude for being the son of a legend/Chicago royalty. Then he had to deal with that legends premature passing while being a kid trying to make his own path.

What's going on now is night and day from anything we e EVER seen. What we're being told now is not only are we wanted on campus and at games. But we're wanted at practice,in meetings. We're being told now we're wanted as mentors. We're being asked to help with the coaching to the point where even if we see an issue while coaching, to throw in our two cents. Richt was trending on a more scaled back version of that path. Mandy wanted us around as much as possible but honestly as players we didn't respect him or his staff and would turn into ****ing matches during spring at times. That's just not a good look on anyone's path and simply holds the kids back. Alfraud the first couple months said he wanted us involved till he realized we all saw through his coaches & there was friction. Onion it was more just hanging out with, much like with Ericson. Only jimmy & butch used us like weapons in his armory. Ways to sharpen what we got. But a far smaller scale than this.
Hopefully, ER20 feels welcome to come back, but maybe that ship sailed.

Let's see how much Payton values the invite back when he finds out the Tavern isn't open any longer!

I joke....but only kinda.....JP was a Vern fixture. Dude even used to beertend there. Was there so often that I had friends that always used to blame it on any of his lackluster performances when it was probably just more reflective of the limits of his actual abilities.

I always liked the guy. Had a pretty normal college experience and was a pretty normal dude for being the son of a legend/Chicago royalty. Then he had to deal with that legends premature passing while being a kid trying to make his own path.
Actually sarge and plenty of other coaches believe Jarret had more talent than anyone else in the room. Some of the things he'd do in practice were pretty wild.

Actually sarge and plenty of other coaches believe Jarret had more talent than anyone else in the room. Some of the things he'd do in practice were pretty wild.
Soooo....maybe a little less Tavern time actually would've behooved him! 🤣

I guess I always just thought expectations might've been too high based on his last name alone and for a kid that may have actually liked soccer more than football. I believe what you're saying though. His dad seemingly had an insane work ethic when he was young. That stuff is probably much harder to pass on than the genetic gifts.

Advertisement
Alfraud the first couple months said he wanted us involved till he realized we all saw through his coaches & there was friction.

LOL, were you in the room when this happened:

The first shot in this ugly Civil War? It wasn't former Miami star Philip Buchanon calling coach Al Golden "Al Folden'' on Twitter. It wasn't former lineman Joaquin Gonzalez tweeting, "I think it's time for a new (defensive) coordinator."
The first shot came, face to face, behind closed doors. Golden invited former players to watch video of the spring game with current players. It started pleasantly enough. Dozens of alumni stood up, introduced themselves. Ted Hendricks. Brett Romberg.

"I'm Edgerrin James, and this is my room,'' the great running back said in the meeting room he donated money to build.
Everyone laughed. That's how the day began. As the video began, Golden told any alum with a question to ask it.

Julio Cortes, a captain of the 1983 championship team, remembers raising a hand after a few plays.
"I was looking at No. 51, the linebacker, which is what I played, and he's not reading his keys,'' Cortes said. "I'm watching the guard pull. The linebacker doesn't read him. He gets smoked. If you follow your keys, that doesn't happen.

"So I said, 'What is that guy coached to read?' And then I said, 'And why is he not hustling when the ball's on the other side of the field?' It upset me. I didn't know No. 51 was Denzel Perryman, their best player. They didn't have names on their jersey.
"I just wanted to know what they were being coached. And I didn't get a good answer. They said, 'It's different now.' OK, I said, 'What's the linebacker taught? What's his keys?' "

"I'm watching the TV wondering why that middle linebacker is lining up nine yards downfield," Cortes said. "That center for Georgia Tech didn't have a nose guard on him, and so he came out and immediately goes after the middle linebacker — Perryman.
"Cover the center so the linebacker can run more freely or move him up to five yards to have a chance. I screamed at the TV. I turned it off. I couldn't take any more."

Advertisement

CAM00048.jpg

The first shot in this ugly Civil War? It wasn't former Miami star Philip Buchanon calling coach Al Golden "Al Folden'' on Twitter. It wasn't former lineman Joaquin Gonzalez tweeting, "I think it's time for a new (defensive) coordinator."
The first shot came, face to face, behind closed doors. Golden invited former players to watch video of the spring game with current players. It started pleasantly enough. Dozens of alumni stood up, introduced themselves. Ted Hendricks. Brett Romberg.

"I'm Edgerrin James, and this is my room,'' the great running back said in the meeting room he donated money to build.
Everyone laughed. That's how the day began. As the video began, Golden told any alum with a question to ask it.

Julio Cortes, a captain of the 1983 championship team, remembers raising a hand after a few plays.
"I was looking at No. 51, the linebacker, which is what I played, and he's not reading his keys,'' Cortes said. "I'm watching the guard pull. The linebacker doesn't read him. He gets smoked. If you follow your keys, that doesn't happen.

"So I said, 'What is that guy coached to read?' And then I said, 'And why is he not hustling when the ball's on the other side of the field?' It upset me. I didn't know No. 51 was Denzel Perryman, their best player. They didn't have names on their jersey.
"I just wanted to know what they were being coached. And I didn't get a good answer. They said, 'It's different now.' OK, I said, 'What's the linebacker taught? What's his keys?' "

"I'm watching the TV wondering why that middle linebacker is lining up nine yards downfield," Cortes said. "That center for Georgia Tech didn't have a nose guard on him, and so he came out and immediately goes after the middle linebacker — Perryman.
"Cover the center so the linebacker can run more freely or move him up to five yards to have a chance. I screamed at the TV. I turned it off. I couldn't take any more."
Yeah I was actually. Phil & all of that actually came about **** near a year in. First signs of him backing down wasn't in meetings either. That's just when he knew it was gonna be **** tough to get us on the same page was when collectively we were all hearing the things no d was saying and even Mike(barrow)couldn't look none of us in the eyes. The actual first signs was when the rumors started swirling about Nevin and his lil homo self and an investigation being imminent. For those of that knew Nevin(I did as well) we knew it was a crock of **** what we were hearing so it made us question the sincerity in alfraud who none of us knew so no one would co sign for him.

i grew up around julio cortes. if you know anything about him, you'll know he had no brakes on his mouth and was/is a no ***** given type of guy.

i remember reading the above and i'm glad he called out golden and d'onfrio.

Advertisement
Back