Jarren out of QB race?

Manny said in one of the interviews that they want to have a QB 1 within the first 2 weeks.

Well, there you go. Thanks.

Kind of tough to narrow it down to 1 in 2 weeks, if you don't narrow it down to 2 pretty quick. Bottom line, officially, no one is out of it. The first couple days of practice will either confirm or dispel any notions that the coaching staff has formed over spring and summer about the depth chart.

But it does seem to be the case that Tate and Kosi come in to fall practice ahead of Jarren and JW better come out on fire out of the gates or he could be relegated to third string reps pretty quickly while the other two battle it out. As LCE alluded to, these coaches want to see consistency all across the board. If anyone struggles with a couple bad days, or in a couple of areas, the dynamic could change quickly.

To be fair to the OBB guys, they all said they don't care who wins the job, just perform and win and they will support that guy. We should all be feeling the same.

Nothing wrong with stating opinion or reading the tea leaves either. People just need to take information with the appropriate sense of skepticism and perspective. Here's some easy advice that seems all too difficult to follow: "Don't let other people tell you what to think. It's is more than just ok to think for yourself."

Advertisement
Well, there you go. Thanks.

Kind of tough to narrow it down to 1 in 2 weeks, if you don't narrow it down to 2 pretty quick. Bottom line, officially, no one is out of it. The first couple days of practice will either confirm or dispel any notions that the coaching staff has formed over spring and summer about the depth chart.

But it does seem to be the case that Tate and Kosi come in to fall practice ahead of Jarren and JW better come out on fire out of the gates or he could be relegated to third string reps pretty quickly while the other two battle it out. As LCE alluded to, these coaches want to see consistency all across the board. If anyone struggles with a couple bad days, or in a couple of areas, the dynamic could change quickly.

To be fair to the OBB guys, they all said they don't care who wins the job, just perform and win and they will support that guy. We should all be feeling the same.

Nothing wrong with stating opinion or reading the tea leaves either. People just need to take information with the appropriate sense of skepticism and perspective. Here's some easy advice that seems all too difficult to follow: "Don't let other people tell you what to think. It's is more than just ok to think for yourself."
Agreed. Man I'm just happy we finally have 3 highly talented QBs, including one elite talent (IMO) and the cherry on top, is we also finally have an elite QB coach. #can'twait!

It's good to have Manny back on the Canes beat. He has really honed his craft over the years, at one point his writing was downright amateurish, but he's become a real pro. I've enjoyed listening to his thoughts and stories on a few podcast interviews recently. I don't subscribe to The Athletic, but am considering giving it a try for the season.

And thanks for posting that tweet. Now we can end the conjecture and close this thread.

BTW, you're probably the top non-staff poster on this site. Thanks for all the info and intellect you bring.

It's good to have Manny back on the Canes beat. He has really honed his craft over the years, at one point his writing was downright amateurish, but he's become a real pro. I've enjoyed listening to his thoughts and stories on a few podcast interviews recently. I don't subscribe to The Athletic, but am considering giving it a try for the season.

And thanks for posting that tweet. Now we can end the conjecture and close this thread.

BTW, you're probably the top non-staff poster on this site. Thanks for all the info and intellect you bring.
Rather have him than Susan that’s for **** sure

Advertisement
All i care about is having a legit competition. And i hope that's what diaz and enos are doing. Let these guys compete and let it be settled on the field.

Advertisement
What makes most sense is that there is a qb depth chart like any other spot on the roster. Maybe the guy who is 3rd is there right now based on Spring/Summer work but it is still fluid and the pecking order may change up until a starter is named in the Fall.

Advertisement
Rather have him than Susan that’s for **** sure

I agree but after reading some of the OT or even on-topic (I also just realized the acronym for on-topic and off-topic are the same and it kinda f'd with me) threads, I would punch a baby to hear who is on the exercise bike, how vigorously they are pedaling, and which leg they are using

Scoop from the Orange Bowl Boys podcast is claiming Jarren is out of the QB race and it’s now between NKosi and Tate. Anything else to back this up?

That's not what they said. If you pay close attention to what they really said, they pretty much declared Tate the starter.

They suggested that based on what they're hearing that the decision has been made and then they immediately start talking about Tate. They later on changed to it's a two horse race.

Advertisement

Appreciate that bro 💯

C'mon man. Do you listen to the podcast? These guys implicitly state that they are just fans and observers. They are the OBB because they grew up in the OB falling in love with Hurricanes football. They probably have a TINY little bit of inside insight into the program that the typical fan may not, but all they're doing is telling you what they think. They are definitely not "insiders" who are down there watching practice every day, watching weight room workouts, and monitoring unsupervised summer drills on a daily basis.

I've listened to that part of the podcast and they explain where the opinion comes from, it comes from media reports, no more, no less. They say national media is hyping Tate, while the local media is hyping Kosi, with not much being said about JW. @Scoop has been saying all spring/summer that he thought the QB battle would be wrapped up early in "fall" practice. Again, just his opinion/prediction.

Personally, based on reports that I've read since the spring/summer, I'd have to say I tend to agree with them on the two man race part. I do think, however, that the naming of the starter will go down to the last week or so. But that is opinion/prediction, not fact.

I read a lot of comments before I found somebody who actually listened to the podcast . . . You're right . . . they basically said that the nationals talk Tate, the locals talk N'kosi but nobody talks Jarren so he's probably not gonna get it . . . Then, they talked up Tate and had a few criticisms of N'kosi which, of course, upsets N'kosi fans . . . Also, the Miami staff have already said that they want to balance keeping Florida guessing about the QB with the desire to build team confidence . . . Just stuff everybody should've known already . . .

I read a lot of comments before I found somebody who actually listened to the podcast . . . You're right . . . they basically said that the nationals talk Tate, the locals talk N'kosi but nobody talks Jarren so he's probably not gonna get it . . . Then, they talked up Tate and had a few criticisms of N'kosi which, of course, upsets N'kosi fans . . . Also, the Miami staff have already said that they want to balance keeping Florida guessing about the QB with the desire to build team confidence . . . Just stuff everybody should've known already . . .
Those guys are building podders, so they need to throw some sh!! out there to stir response.....
Apparently they did.......... Nothing new but fans trying to build around their opinions.....
No harm , no foul, but to take this and run with it is ludicrous...

Manny ended spring practice, the last time coaches were able to interact with players per NCAA rules, saying all three were equal. Diaz and Enos then said, what they do in the summer counts in re the QB race. Coaches are NOT allowed to interact with players during the summer per NCAA rules. Even blind people can see that coaches KNOW who is doing what during the summer. So the coaches have seen who has been putting in work during the summer. Now with Fall ball right around the corner, the coaches HAVE to say that it's still a 3 man race because the last time they had any knowledge of what the players were doing was Spring Ball. Remember NCAA regs dont permit them to interact with players during the summer so they dont know (wink wink nudge nudge) whos been doing what during the summer.

In closing it doesnt surprise me that its now a 2 man race. Someone didnt do as much as the other 2 during summer.

Hahahaha I don’t believe for a second coaches haven’t been involved all offseason. Their office windows look over the field in the IPF. Also Manny has been in every QB meeting. They may not have a starter but they know who’s winning

Advertisement
Back