Jaquan Johnson (Switch to CB?)

lets wait and see. i could see johnson playing some cb. if needed. i think richt and rumph though will want to get a good look at there cb's before decide.

redwine, jackson, mayes, henley, are guys who deserve a good look as does malek young, if nothing else u would have length at cb as i believe jackson, redwine and henley are all 6 ft or taller.

Advertisement
God I love Jaquan Johnson the safety, but you're on point as far as him having the skills that translate to playing nickel in some packages. Not only his ability to cover receivers, but I'm always about having extremely smart football players closer to the ball. Keeping them within shouting distance of the ball keeps them really engaged and they sometimes do some incredible things that help you win football games.

I would too take his evaluation over mine.... but Yea IF he said that... you wann aknow why? becuase he wanna keep his 6 figure job...He whiffed at corner this year....Jaquan is not some superior athlete like sam shields that could make the transition to Corner.... Dude was an all american safety thats where he needs to play....You keep movin people like that we will lose future recroots... ...... He can be a great safety at best he would be an average corner...You wanna get the studs you cant do **** like that...Besides You act like we are deep at safety.... Who do we have after jenkins, carter and Johnson?? True freshman Romeo Finley??

He said that at the Army All American practice last year while being the CB coach there, not this year as a Miami coach

True..... but he is not athletic enough to play safety no where near...So pick your poison move him to corner and then you have RObert Knowles playing safety??

Knowles, Wright, Finley at Safety to go with 2 SR's (Jenkins and Carter)
or
Terrance Henley(who played WR), Michael Jackson, Josh Johnson (walk on?), Ryan Mayes, Malek Young at CB to go with 1 SR in Elder?

Most safeties you have on the field at once is 2, maybe 3 if you are playing prevent which in that scenario doesn't matter.
On the other hand, you could end up playing with 3 CB's in the game at once for over 20 snaps.

The top 5 DB's on the team right now is Johnson, Corn, Carter, Jenkins, Redwine. If Johnson is at Safety in a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 then we are not playing with our best players on the field because Carter/Jenkins can not play CB or NB as good as Johnson.

KNowles is Horrible....Id rather have Grace playing the slot then Knowles on the field...I dont even want him on special teams

How could you claim him being horrible when he didn't play 1 down last year due to red shirting...
Jeff James will most likely red shirt is he terrible?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Looks like the coaches might be on the same page as the OP

UM coach Mark Richt will call plays as Thomas Brown installs offense | Miami Herald

Safeties coach Ephraim Banda, 34, spent this past season at Mississippi State (9-4) under Diaz and also worked with him as a defensive graduate assistant at Texas. Banda, who noted Wednesday that “we blitz our safeties a bunch,’’ said he had no qualms about converting a safety to a cornerback if that’s what is warranted. Other than Corn Elder, the Canes have barely any experienced cornerbacks — rising sophomore Sheldrick Redwine has some — at the collegiate level.

“We’re going to put the best defensive backs on the field and figure out what position they have to play,’’ Banda said.

Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph, who helped lead UM to its last national title in 2001, said the Hurricanes “have some safeties that can play multiple positions. We have linebackers that can play multiple positions. I’m just happy to have the puzzle almost into play, and now just have to get the pieces to fit the right way.’’

That nickel corner spot has become its own position these days in the league. It's basically for smaller safeties with quickness. They're technically safeties, but teams bring them up to get them in the mix on third downs rather than use a corner for a play. Easier to bring a kid in to play center than man up a slot guy cold.

Outside of Johnson, best Safety combo may end up being Carter and one of the freshman...I don't remember any plays where Jamal Carter was out of position on DEEP balls and he's a FF tackler waiting to happen....But, I've seen Jenkins whiff and miss more tackles than #25 and in this defense Safeties are counted on to save touch downs when everything upfront fails...and both Finley/Wright were tackling machines in high school while Jeff James was really good once the ball was in the air.

Advertisement
Jesus Christ i hate u guys

The his would be a horrible ****ing horrible decision... Hey let's move Shaq to corner while we're at it? This would be a straight golden move...
Yeah I understand the desperate feelings cuz of a lack of depth but I hate moving a kid who projects as potentially our best safety to be a good CB. Just turn up the d line pressure and get to the QB. ...

Guys..dont forget that we all need to hit refresh on every player that youre making decisions on. Youre grading these current DBs on playing the Golden D. Maybe even a kid like Henley or Mayes suddenly steps up....

I could see JJ playing the same sort of rover position Jalen Ramsey played 2 years ago. Line him up all over the place and let him make plays. I'm with the majority to where I hate seeing a really good safety prospect switch to CB, but if it's only in spot duties then I am ok with it. He needs to be used in various roles so when he's on the field they don't know if he's going to get the QB, play man, or drop into zone coverage.

Advertisement
In a perfect world, Jackson and Henley have improved over the last year and can contribute this season lessening the need for JJ to switch. Also need to see how Knowles has progressed and maybe Malek Young is ready to contribute right away.

I thought Jackson was a 4* out of Alabama? Are we leaving him out of the equation? Also, can Gayot move back to safety, now that we have 3 savages solving our depth issues at LB? If you read in to what Rumph says here: Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph, who helped lead UM to its last national title in 2001, said the Hurricanes “have some safeties that can play multiple positions. We have linebackers that can play multiple positions. I’m just happy to have the puzzle almost into play, and now just have to get the pieces to fit the right way.’’
So, I think we have some versatility with what we already have on campus. I'll leave it up to the coaches to sort it all out. But, I do like the OP. Sounds like a great option if needed..

I thought Jackson was a 4* out of Alabama? Are we leaving him out of the equation? Also, can Gayot move back to safety, now that we have 3 savages solving our depth issues at LB? If you read in to what Rumph says here: Cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph, who helped lead UM to its last national title in 2001, said the Hurricanes “have some safeties that can play multiple positions. We have linebackers that can play multiple positions. I’m just happy to have the puzzle almost into play, and now just have to get the pieces to fit the right way.’’
So, I think we have some versatility with what we already have on campus. I'll leave it up to the coaches to sort it all out. But, I do like the OP. Sounds like a great option if needed..

Prob was referring to Gayot and possibly Grace.

Advertisement
He said that at the Army All American practice last year while being the CB coach there, not this year as a Miami coach

True..... but he is not athletic enough to play safety no where near...So pick your poison move him to corner and then you have RObert Knowles playing safety??

Knowles, Wright, Finley at Safety to go with 2 SR's (Jenkins and Carter)
or
Terrance Henley(who played WR), Michael Jackson, Josh Johnson (walk on?), Ryan Mayes, Malek Young at CB to go with 1 SR in Elder?

Most safeties you have on the field at once is 2, maybe 3 if you are playing prevent which in that scenario doesn't matter.
On the other hand, you could end up playing with 3 CB's in the game at once for over 20 snaps.

The top 5 DB's on the team right now is Johnson, Corn, Carter, Jenkins, Redwine. If Johnson is at Safety in a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 then we are not playing with our best players on the field because Carter/Jenkins can not play CB or NB as good as Johnson.

KNowles is Horrible....Id rather have Grace playing the slot then Knowles on the field...I dont even want him on special teams

How could you claim him being horrible
when he didn't play 1 down last year due to red shirting...
Jeff James will most likely red shirt is he terrible?

I know his high school coaches, he doesnt have the talent to play here

No he will not he cannot play corner against superior athletes ... I'm laughing at 3 clips from an all star game... I remember when golden tried to move Dallas Crawford to corner... U move Jaquan to corner and that's exactly how U lose future recruits..... We will just have to ride with elder, red wine Jackson Henley and malek young and that ****ty Ryan mayes

corn or redwine get hurt......we FUCT!
Yep and we just gonna have to ride with that....there is not one safety we have that can make a successful transition to corner

Mike Rumph, who is currently the CB coach, told Johnson that he should play more CB...Likely meaning he would be a good one...I think I'll take Mike Rumph's evaluation over yours

cause Mike is such a proven coach...

So you automatically dismiss a guy who was all conference 3 years in row as a college player and then played in the NFL as someone who can't tell if a kid can play the position. Whether or not he can teach and relate to 18, 19 and 20 years is quite another.

My opinion is Johnson can play corner in this defense because it's the one position that is protected. Safety is quite a different situation. Bottom line is Johnson needs to be on the field this fall as much as possible at safety and boundary corner if that's where they need him.

Advertisement
Back