Jaquan Johnson (Switch to CB?)

Astcloud11

Senior
Premium
Will Jaquan Johnson switch to CB?

-The biggest thing that stops FR from playing rotational minutes is that upperclassman usually have an advantage in knowing the system. We are learning a new system, meaning that the best safety will play regardless on if they are FR (Wright, Finley, Jeff James) or SR (Carter, Jenkins).
-We obviously need CB's badly.
-Playing with 4 quality CB's and 4 quality Safties, (assuming Jeff James RS's) makes more sense than 3 quality CB's and 5 quality Safeties.

Even though he was mainly a safety in high school, abilities at CB was on display during Army All American practice:
Quotes

-Best WR at one point in practice was TJ Rahming (4* WR that signed with Duke in 2015), said Johnson was the toughest DB he faced
( 2015 Duke commit TJ Rahming turned heads at Army Bowl )

-
Another Miami pledge in Top247 safety Jaquan Johnson had a huge day. A smart player that picked up the defense quickly, he played both safety and corner on this day, primarily nickel in 7-on-7 stuff. Johnson broke up a ton of passes, and he likes to press.
( Five-Stars Shine At Army Bowl East Practice )

-
With the passing game for the East struggling to find much rhythm in bad conditions on Thursday, the secondary was rarely challenged. But Miami (Fla.) Killian four-star safety Jaquan Johnson makes his presence known with his consistency from rep-to-rep. He has all of the athletic tools needed to be effective in coverage. He does a very good job of positioning himself to play the receiver and the ball. His game is complete from both a physical and mental standpoint.
( Army All-American Bowl East Standouts: Thursday )

The best one: Army Team East Practice Report: Miami Targets
It didn’t take long for Johnson to establish himself as one of the top defensive backs on the East squad. Johnson was the most feisty defensive back on the team during one-on-one drills. Johnson looks to get physical with receivers at the line of scrimmage and is very disruptive on the timing between the quarterback and receiver. He showed better coverage skills than anticipated and earned praise from defensive backs coach Mike Rumph, who told Johnson that he should play more corner. The East defense looks like they want to use Johnson as a nickel corner this week.

Highlights:

vs Darius Slayton (Auburn)
[VINE]Owvz0P15gpX[/VINE]
[VINE]Ownl0DYzA2d[/VINE]
[VINE]Owq79K0mIuU[/VINE]

vs Juwan Johnson (Penn State)
[VINE]OwvBLXzdm2Y[/VINE]

vs Lawrence Cager (Yo Mama)
[VINE]OwbFlA3MdBX[/VINE]

vs TJ Rahming (Duke)
[VINE]OwbFJWWetUq[/VINE]

vs Deon Cain (Clemson 5*)
[VINE]OwbtpdIlplU[/VINE]
This one went viral:
[VINE]OwqKuv6LOuH[/VINE]

Don't think it's out of the question or stupid to think he could make the move to CB. Remember, Mike Rumph was the CB coach for all this.

Advertisement
One more against Darius Slayton:
[VINE]OwqZlEezAtu[/VINE]

Dropped the interception lol

This may be our best option. His ceiling is still higher at safety but considering the lack of depth we have we need someone to step up and play CB, Johnson may be our guy. Especially since our safety depth is looking pretty good.

I still think Young can come and contribute here as a nickel corner but unless Redwine steps up in a big way as the clear #2 we don't have many options.

I wouldn't be as worried with our lack of depth if the DB's didn't play such a crucial role in Diaz defense, playing that aggressive D will open up pockets for the offense to throw and if we don't get to the QB or put pressure its very easy to get lit up in the secondary. The hire of coach Kool is absolutely crucial in masking our deficiencies in the secondary. His coaching can easily change the landscape of the game since its all about establishing presence on the LOS. The pass rushing ability of AQM, Chad, and Willis needs to show up big time this season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
**** that! Go watch this kids high school highlights... Sickest instincts i've seen for a safety in a decade.

**** that! Go watch this kids high school highlights... Sickest instincts i've seen for a safety in a decade.

I agree he has a higher ceiling at safety but we have 3 maybe 4 kids that can play corner, that's some tragic ****. We need bodies at the position. He can move back to primarily playing safety when we stock up in 2017.

Good work OP. If things stay as they are and there are no late additions to the 2016 class at cb then JJ's ability to help out here would be huge. Those videos make me feel a little better that we have another possible option at cb if nothing changes..

Advertisement
The problem with him moving to corner is his top end speed you notice on the streaks. They got past him both times just straight running speed. I mean you can mask this with help over the top but, who knows I could be wrong. Don't get me wrong JJ is one of my favorite players on the team as a safety. I think he could make the switch the only problem is the deep routes. With our new rushing attack though they may not have the time for that to develop. Can't wait to see what the coaches decide to do.

I agree he has a higher ceiling at safety but we have 3 maybe 4 kids that can play corner, that's some tragic ****. We need bodies at the position. He can move back to primarily playing safety when we stock up in 2017.

He will play both. Start at fs and in nickel situations he moves to nb and put jenkins at fs.

Jesus Christ i hate u guys

The his would be a horrible ******* horrible decision... Hey let's move Shaq to corner while we're at it? This would be a straight golden move...

Last edited:
Advertisement
2017 we lose carter and jenkins. JJ will be our best safety, as it is he can probably start at S this year. Our safety depth is not that crazy great that we can move Johnson. We really just gotta hope that Jackson or Mayes takes a step forward into their sophomore years.

Advertisement
I'll take him as 80/20 safety over corner per game because he can become an ELITE safety and you don't **** with that

Very versatile kid.

Will play both spots.

No he will not he cannot play corner against superior athletes ... I'm laughing at 3 clips from an all star game... I remember when golden tried to move Dallas Crawford to corner... U move Jaquan to corner and that's exactly how U lose future recruits..... We will just have to ride with elder, red wine Jackson Henley and malek young and that ****** Ryan mayes

Advertisement
Back