Jamie Gordinier

What depth at LB? Please review game films from last year, and pay attention to the second unit giving up big plays. Owns was not ready to play until the bowl game. Perry and Smith made some good plays but was not consistent. I believe the defense unit will be much better, but remember coaches will adjust to Diaz scheme too. I am just happy to finally say we have a football team and staff that will be competent and competitive. We are two recruiting classes away to be Canes again. Canes means... anyone any place anytime.

Advertisement
This thread is an absolute clinic.

Vintage Ken Dorsey threading the needle left and right without the defense knowing what hit it.

Lacks the necessary muscle mass to be consistently good at the point of attack imo.

Get some triceps then we'll talk...

sfl-canes-linebacker-jamie-gordinier-out-for-season-20160904

He looks concussed in that picture which makes my Dan Morgan comparison even more accurate. He does have a visually offensive physique though.

The single greatest S & C coach in the history of sports, Mike Woicik, used to award "The Most Offensive Body" trophy annually at Syracuse when he was there.

Saw Gordinier in NJ today training with his two brothers. He looked good running. Looks trim and moving well.

Advertisement
Nothing against him personally but if there's anyone on this team who I'm rooting against it's this kid.

And it's sad because he's probably a good dude but the fact of the matter is that he attended Al Golden's alma mater in Red Bank, NJ.

**** shame we ever recruited kids from New Jersey, like Njoku. Stupid Golden.

I guess Danny Stubbs was OK back in the day because he went to the public school in Red Bank.

I think Gordinier and Golden both attended Red Bank Catholic; I think Danny went to a public school, maybe called Red Bank Regional.

The architect of our 1983 NC defense, Tom Olivadotti, had been a coach at Red Bank Catholic years before. When he didn't get the job instead of JJ, that led to the turmoil and hard feelings in 1984. Tom wouldn't coach under Johnson and quit. Johnson started transitioning to the attacking front midway in the '84 season because he didn't like Olivadotti's 5-2 gap control defense. It was chaos on the defensive staff for the second half of the season.

in fact, I remember that Olivadotti wrote a book years ago called Coaching the Gap Control Rover Defense.

Last edited:
Hey, remember that time we didn't take that kid from Carver High School because he wanted to play RB? He played for a school that didn't traditionally produce NFL talent, and we passed. His name is Marshall Faulk.

Yeah I think we wanted for corner. Curtis Johnson recruited him for the Aztecs.

UF wanted Clinton Portis for CB.

Go figure.

Good player, good teammate. Not sure where he fits, but ultimately think he's best outside. Will provide depth and ST help this year. Would start on some previous Canes teams, not this version.

Advertisement
Hey, remember that time we didn't take that kid from Carver High School because he wanted to play RB? He played for a school that didn't traditionally produce NFL talent, and we passed. His name is Marshall Faulk.

Go figure.

Can you imagine Marshall Faulk on the Canes? Turns my stomach when I think about it.

Go figure.

Can you imagine Marshall Faulk on the Canes? Turns my stomach when I think about it.

I went to the 1989 SDSU game in the OB. I don't remember what Faulk did in that game. We won pretty handily as I remember. After the game, I got to go to the VIP pressbox where the coaches and ADs from both teams would go to a buffet, along with Golden Canes and other important people. I talked briefly to Curtis Johnson and Bob Bratkowski who was our OC under Dennis. Curtis was coaching for SDSU and he had recruited Faulk from New Orleans. Curtis was originally a Dennis guy, having played and coached under him, as I recall. Later, Dennis brought him to UM and that led to a Golden Age of UM recruiting in Louisiana. It was never the same after he left. I don't know what CJ is doing now. He coached Tulane for a while. I do remember my conversation with Curtis and another SDSU coach, I think. They said they couldn't believe how good our LB was on the film they watched in preparation. That was Mo Crum, they were talking about. I guess Crum didn't have the size for the NFL.

I can't really remember very well who we had at RB in that era. Don't forget--we ran a one-back set for most of Dennis's time at the U. In '89, it probably was Steve McGuire. That would have been a **** of a one-two punch to alternate Steve and Faulk. Wow!

We later had guys like Larry Jones, Donnell Bennett and I think James Stewart playing the single back at one time or another. The coaches really wanted Bennett to switch to LB but he was the only of the three to have any significant NFL time at all at RB.

We could have easily played both McGuire and Faulk in the one-back offense, and given both plenty of carries. People don't remember that the prior year, 1988, Dennis had two 1000 yard rushers on the same Washington State team, yet the team was known for a wide open passing attack with Timm Rosenbach. It was a very effective offense for a while, at least in the Pac-10, where they upset UCLA and knocked them from no. 1 in '88.

Go figure.

I went to the 1989 SDSU game in the OB. I don't remember what Faulk did in that game. We won pretty handily as I remember. After the game, I got to go to the VIP pressbox where the coaches and ADs from both teams would go to a buffet, along with Golden Canes and other important people. I talked briefly to Curtis Johnson and Bob Bratkowski who was our OC under Dennis. Curtis was coaching for SDSU and he had recruited Faulk from New Orleans. Curtis was originally a Dennis guy, having played and coached under him, as I recall. Later, Dennis brought him to UM and that led to a Golden Age of UM recruiting in Louisiana. It was never the same after he left. I don't know what CJ is doing now. He coached Tulane for a while. I do remember my conversation with Curtis and another SDSU coach, I think. They said they couldn't believe how good our LB was on the film they watched in preparation. That was Mo Crum, they were talking about. I guess Crum didn't have the size for the NFL.

I can't really remember very well who we had at RB in that era. Don't forget--we ran a one-back set for most of Dennis's time at the U. In '89, it probably was Steve McGuire. That would have been a **** of a one-two punch to alternate Steve and Faulk. Wow!

We later had guys like Larry Jones, Donnell Bennett and I think James Stewart playing the single back at one time or another. The coaches really wanted Bennett to switch to LB but he was the only of the three to have any significant NFL time at all at RB.

We could have easily played both McGuire and Faulk in the one-back offense, and given both plenty of carries. People don't remember that the prior year, 1988, Dennis had two 1000 yard rushers on the same Washington State team, yet the team was known for a wide open passing attack with Timm Rosenbach. It was a very effective offense for a while, at least in the Pac-10, where they upset UCLA and knocked them from no. 1 in '88.

Matador, Faulks freshman year was in 91 and they played Miami late in that year and he had like 150-plus yards vs the Bermuda Triangle. He was one of the few RB's in that era that I saw actually turn the corner on a Miami defense. He had that extra special gear....

Go figure.

Mo Crum is one of my all-time favorite Canes. That dude loved playing LB and was a **** good one. Told everyone he tackled their business. #49 could play some ball.

Go Canes!

Advertisement

Go figure.

Matador, Faulks freshman year was in 91 and they played Miami late in that year and he had like 150-plus yards vs the Bermuda Triangle. He was one of the few RB's in that era that I saw actually turn the corner on a Miami defense. He had that extra special gear....

You're right about that. It's been so long, I guess I got the years confused. I was at that 89 game, and we handled SDSU pretty handily, as I remember. We had a fabulous DL.

Actually, the game Faulk didn't play in was 92, when he and Torretta were neck-and-neck for the Heisman. That game probably gave it to Torretta. We clobbered them and Faulk was on the sideliine with a knee injury.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL - A Heisman Duel Is Reduced to a Hurricane Tuneup - NYTimes.com

I did meet C.J. and Bob Bratkowski in the VIP press box after the game. I think there was another SDSU assistant there and he and C.J. raved about Crum from the pregame videos they studied.

I'm pretty sure C.J. recruited Faulk to SDSU and a few years later he rejoined Erickson at UM. I think he coached at UM for quite a few years before leaving. A god friend who was very close to the program before he passed away told me our Louisiana recruiting was never the same after Curtis Johnson left.

Go figure.

You're right about that. It's been so long, I guess I got the years confused. I was at that 89 game, and we handled SDSU pretty handily, as I remember. We had a fabulous DL.

Actually, the game Faulk didn't play in was 92, when he and Torretta were neck-and-neck for the Heisman. That game probably gave it to Torretta. We clobbered them and Faulk was on the sideliine with a knee injury.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL - A Heisman Duel Is Reduced to a Hurricane Tuneup - NYTimes.com

I did meet C.J. and Bob Bratkowski in the VIP press box after the game. I think there was another SDSU assistant there and he and C.J. raved about Crum from the pregame videos they studied.

I'm pretty sure C.J. recruited Faulk to SDSU and a few years later he rejoined Erickson at UM. I think he coached at UM for quite a few years before leaving. A god friend who was very close to the program before he passed away told me our Louisiana recruiting was never the same after Curtis Johnson left.

Matador, I still maintain that the 89 Dline was UM's best, I mean, the two tackles were Tez and Maryland, and Jimmie Jones as the 3rd guy( all three had long NFL careers, Kennedy is in Canton). The ends were Pegues and Mark( who was actually the sack leader that year and the defensive MVP) Ive never seen a defensive front that had the get-off that that group and consistently disrupted things behind the backfield like they did

FSU and Bowden did a brilliant job of exploiting that with the sprint-draw in Tally that year.

But that 89 Canes defense is a personal favorite of mine

And yeah, CJ did great stuff in LA but I think even his effectiveness as a recruiter in Bayou country was limited once Saban got to LSU, IMO

Advertisement
Back