Jamie Gordinier

Heard rumblings about C. Perry making strides over the spring.

It's an uphill battle for Gordinier considering he's got no experience and is coming off a major injury.

Perry reminds me of a young Darrin Smith.

Can you power rank the LB group?

1. Shaquille Quarterman
2. Michael Pinckney
3. Zach McCloud
4. Darrion Owens
5. Mike Smith
6. Charles Perry
7. Jamie Gordinier
8. Bradley Jennings Jr.
9. De'Andre Wilder
10. Waynmon Steed
11. Terry McCray

Is it a problem that one thru six should be gone next year with Terry Mcray and only one lb expected for 18?

Advertisement
The code is strong in this thread. Even those trying to crack on the code, are still doing so on code LOL!

IMG_4707.jpg

Dan Morgan did not seem like much even though he started on Bad Miami teams his first couple of years. But then to be the highest decorated defensive player to come from Miami 2 years later. That guy put some serious work in. If JG can put 75% of that effort we might have something.

You're right. After 2 years in the program, Dan Morgan only had 250 tackles. So he was only 250 ahead of Gordo at the same stage.

Omaha! Omaha!

It's an uphill battle for Gordinier considering he's got no experience and is coming off a major injury.

1. Shaquille Quarterman
2. Michael Pinckney
3. Zach McCloud
4. Darrion Owens
5. Mike Smith
6. Charles Perry
7. Jamie Gordinier
8. Bradley Jennings Jr.
9. De'Andre Wilder
10. Waynmon Steed
11. Terry McCray

Is it a problem that one thru six should be gone next year with Terry Mcray and only one lb expected for 18?

I doubt that all 3 starting LBs from last year will leave after their sophomore year.

Advertisement
Was JG a 4* or 3* coming out of high school? I thought he was a 4*, but I could be wrong.

He was a solid three star.

Offers included BC, NC State, Syracuse, Purdue, UCF.

Typical of Golden to take a kid like JG over someone from SoFla.

1. Shaquille Quarterman
2. Michael Pinckney
3. Zach McCloud
4. Darrion Owens
5. Mike Smith
6. Charles Perry
7. Jamie Gordinier
8. Bradley Jennings Jr.
9. De'Andre Wilder
10. Waynmon Steed
11. Terry McCray

I doubt that all 3 starting LBs from last year will leave after their sophomore year.

They're ineligible for the NFL draft after next year. Unless they transfer (would be dumb), all three will be Canes in 2018.

Maybe, but he was slated to start last year before his injury. Regardless, whether it's him (at full) or Perry, we're in a ridiculously better position than we were last year at this time (even with Grace).

Agree with our LB unit being deep and light years beyond last year. Regarding Gordinier, I agree with Rok here. JG has a difficult task in cracking this 2 deep coming off a major knee injury. It has taken Mike Smith almost 3 years to fully return to his pre injury form which he showcased this past Spring and it will have taken Owens about 2 years to get back to form after his knee injury. Knowing this it would be foolish to expect Gordinier to be a major contributor one year removed from his injury.

This.
I don't know the extent of JG's knee injury, but the other two were severe. It is at least possible JG had a more straightforward injury. We often see LBs come back from ACL tears in a year. No idea if that will be the case for JG, but we're basically talking about a guy fighting Perry for the backup LB spot.

Advertisement

Maybe, but he was slated to start last year before his injury. Regardless, whether it's him (at full) or Perry, we're in a ridiculously better position than we were last year at this time (even with Grace).

Agree with our LB unit being deep and light years beyond last year. Regarding Gordinier, I agree with Rok here. JG has a difficult task in cracking this 2 deep coming off a major knee injury. It has taken Mike Smith almost 3 years to fully return to his pre injury form which he showcased this past Spring and it will have taken Owens about 2 years to get back to form after his knee injury. Knowing this it would be foolish to expect Gordinier to be a major contributor one year removed from his injury.

This.
I don't know the extent of JG's knee injury, but the other two were severe. It is at least possible JG had a more straightforward injury. We often see LBs come back from ACL tears in a year. No idea if that will be the case for JG, but we're basically talking about a guy fighting Perry for the backup LB spot.

He isn't battling Perry. They play different positions.

This.

He isn't battling Perry. They play different positions.
Owens and Smith are established on the 2nd team. Only other spot would be between Perry, JG and a handful of True Frosh, correct?

*I guess the better question is do you think they'd necessarily lock Gordinier (and I guess Owens) in one position?

Last edited:
I don't remember them ever defining his injury but it was at least severe enough that he had no contact in the spring.

Was JG a 4* or 3* coming out of high school? I thought he was a 4*, but I could be wrong.
He was a 3*, but again, from everything I've seen and been told, he was making really good progress last year. Here's to hoping the severity of his injury wasn't as complex as some other guys'. I think he could really help us.

Advertisement
He was a 3*, but again, from everything I've seen and been told, he was making really good progress last year. Here's to hoping the severity of his injury wasn't as complex as some other guys'. I think he could really help us.

I remember him being really good in practice reports when he was redshirted. Golden, however, didn't want to burn his redshirt for playing time late in the season. He's a quality player that will contribute if he comes back healthy.

Advertisement

1. Shaquille Quarterman
2. Michael Pinckney
3. Zach McCloud
4. Darrion Owens
5. Mike Smith
6. Charles Perry
7. Jamie Gordinier
8. Bradley Jennings Jr.
9. De'Andre Wilder
10. Waynmon Steed
11. Terry McCray

They're ineligible for the NFL draft after next year. Unless they transfer (would be dumb), all three will be Canes in 2018.

My bad. Meant to say after next year which would be after their JR

Agree that JG could most definitely help if in fact his injury wasn't as severe as the other 2 and he is cleared for fall. If Gordinier gets back to pre injury form he could relieve some of the pressure on our starters.

Advertisement
Back