Jalen Harrell decommits from FSU

Advertisement
I mean, that is what the striker position is - no? It's basically a smaller LB with better coverage skills and has been generally manned by converted safeties.
Yes, that is correct. Some would prefer having a nickel corner instead of the striker, but yes the striker position is manned by a hybrid player. Both the striker and viper positions are meant to deal with today's spread offenses. We still need to be more athletic with our 2 main LBs and the DBs we recruit. Miami should never look slow against any team. We have good team speed but it needs to be improved if we want to compete with the big boys. Of course everything starts in the trenches, but the thread was about a big DB so it reminded me of the old recruiting strategy JJ used.

I mean, that is what the striker position is - no? It's basically a smaller LB with better coverage skills and has been generally manned by converted safeties.
JJ used the strategy on the DL as well converting LBs to DEs etc..

Advertisement
Yes, that is correct. Some would prefer having a nickel corner instead of the striker, but yes the striker position is manned by a hybrid player. Both the striker and viper positions are meant to deal with today's spread offenses. We still need to be more athletic with our 2 main LBs and the DBs we recruit. Miami should never look slow against any team. We have good team speed but it needs to be improved if we want to compete with the big boys. Of course everything starts in the trenches, but the thread was about a big DB so it reminded me of the old recruiting strategy JJ used.
Going back to your previous statement about turning S into LB. I hope you don't think they took guys like Jalen Harrell and turned them into LB, becuase if one tried to put about 40 LBs on him there is no it would come out good. I thought that strategy worked for big DBs like a Derrick Smith or Amari Carter.

We need to bring in full classes of speed every year and let the players sort it out.....when guys leave, we bring in more speed.

It's fine to take the occasional "football player" who lacks ideal physical skills for some positions, but you can't make a team of them or you'll end up being a middle of the road team.....which is what we are right now. 4.8 corners do not age well in most programs.

I respect your post but we are not a middle of the road team because of our secondary my friend. They are the least of our problems.

I think the only CB we have that is having a hard time keeping up speed wise is Ivey. And most on here are not ready to give up on him yet since they think its a technique thing.

That said, I trust Rumph and his knack for developing CBs so that is why I like all 3. Now if this were Patke or Barry, I would have a different take. I don't trust either of them with "project/developmental" type players right now. Patke is about to be handed two 4-5* level athletes at their position in Huff and Brooks. Lets see what he can do with them next year.

Advertisement
I respect your post but we are not a middle of the road team because of our secondary my friend. They are the least of our problems.

I think the only CB we have that is having a hard time keeping up speed wise is Ivey. And most on here are not ready to give up on him yet since they think its a technique thing.

That said, I trust Rumph and his knack for developing CBs so that is why I like all 3. Now if this were Patke or Barry, I would have a different take. I don't trust either of them with "project/developmental" type players right now. Patke is about to be handed two 4-5* level athletes at their position in Huff and Brooks. Lets see what he can do with them next year.

Patke isn't coaching either huff or brooks

We are killing ourselves with slow DBs I mean look at the games this year they have getting beat Time and time again. It’s time to recruit spreed at these positions like we have in the past.
We are way to slow on defense. If you watch the top teams, one of the things that jumps out to you is their speed on defense. We have to get back there.

DBs grow on trees down here. But every ****** cycle Rumph can’t seem to make his mind up.

He’s had 4 years to show something. He’s hasn’t landed anyone and his best development was Corn Elder and a 5th year DB from Texas.

Cane or not he sucks as a coach.
Name 5 bluechip dbs down here this cycle

Advertisement
Besides looking at times, one could just look at the tape and Harrell does not look like a 4.9 kid on tape, he looks to more around high 4.6 which is fine for the safety position. If UM was recruiting him as a CB then I would be worried about his straight line speed.
True but that Sanguenetti kid looked faster than the 4.86 he ran in testing and many others schools saw that and reevaluated him lower.

No they will not, if they wanted to drop Washington they would have been dropped him. UM just lost 2 DB commits, so they will replace them wi th 2 more DB commits.

So in late November early December after coaches have been fired and committed prospects from those schools start looking around we should say sorry to an elite safety prospect thanks but no thanks we got can’t sign you we got Keshawn Washington?

Man don’t be naive.

Advertisement
So in late November early December after coaches have been fired and committed prospects from those schools start looking around we should say sorry to an elite safety prospect thanks but no thanks we got can’t sign you we got Keshawn Washington?

Man don’t be naive.
Ur the one being naive thinking that we would be in the race for an elite Safety prospect in late November or early December. If a kid is still trying to figure out were he is going by that time he us chasing bags, we lose that battle everytime.

There has been talk of Branch at striker, but Harrell would be a better fit there. He’s heavier.

I would work recruiting strategies differently than most.

I would recruit safeties and LBs and only occasionally target a guy specifically for the striker position. Otherwise let the guys who aren’t quite big enough to be an LB or not quite fast/fluid enough to be a S take over the striker position. That’s what happened with Romeo. When you recruit specifically for it and then miss on a S, you can run into depth issues bc you have a bunch of guys more suited for striker, which is only one position. If you hit on them all, you then move the guy who fits best. In the grand scheme, the striker shouldn’t be as important as the other positions and isn’t usually on the field as much. It’s one player in some packages vs 2 LB and 2 S in just about all packages.

I do the same on oline. I over-recruit tackles and recruit less interior guys bc if you miss on tackles you can usually kick them inside....but if you don’t recruit enough you get stuck with the issue we have right now.

Advertisement
Back