Jake Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
2014 year - freshman
+++Beat Duke (9-4)
---Lost to Louisville (#24)
---Lost to Nebraska (top 25 most of the season, 9-4)
---Lost to GaTech (#8)
---Lost to F$U (#5)
Finished 6-7

2015 year - sophomore
+++Beat Duke (8-5, ranked #22 at the time)
+++Beat Pitt (8-5, 6-2 ACC)
---Lost to F$U (#14)
---Lost to Clemson (#2)
---Lost to North Carolina (#15)
Finished 8-5

2016 year - junior
+++Beat GaTech (9-4)
+++Beat Pitt (8-5)
+++Beat WVU in bowl game (#18)
---Lost to F$U (#8)
---Lost to VaTech (#16)
Finished 9-4, ranked #20

This is not some huge defense of Kaaya, just an acknowledgement that his performance in big games basically mirrored the overall success of the team. Kaaya didn't really elevate the entire team, but he also wasn't the primary problem. His "big-game performance" got better as the team got better.

I would have loved to have beaten F$U all 3 years, but those were some **** good teams and I don't think Kaaya was so terrible or the cause of our losses. Keep mind, he is Miami's all-time statistical QB in only 3 years of play when ewe went 23-16. It's not like Kaaya piled up the stats in those 23 wins. Miami lost those big games because Miami was a bad team, not because Kaaya had bad games.
Brad's primary problem was he played here under alfraud(hence no dorito). Any qb we could've played at the time was HORRIBLY hampered by the defense... It certainly didn't help that Brad himself became scared to take a big hit. Anyone who payed attention should've known he came in never having faced a legit d that'll punch you in yo****... That's something alot of small school socal kids struggle with. To blame our record on him though would just be dillusional. A cog in the machine was all he was.

Kaaya probably would have been very productive in a modern Air Raid.

His biggest problem was he wasn’t mobile, didn’t have good feet, and had zero pocket presence. QBs can get away with panicking in the pocket at the drop of a hat, if they can scramble. But a QB that panics over any little thing and then sacks himself is going to limit most offenses.

People keep talking about his FSU performance. But that 2016 performance against VT is his worst. He’s just sacking himself and panicking non-stop.

Advertisement
If Kaaya had played for leach or Yost he puts up huge numbers.
Justin Fields threw a pick in the end zone with the game on the line against Clemson and cost them a shot at a title. Every qb throws picks.
Not saying he would or could’ve won a heisman.
But dude put up numbers here with no help from the defense and then a horrible offensive scheme under richter. We would’ve been ranked top 15 easy under golden if we had a dc that wasn’t an idiot.
so while he wasn’t going to be the next miami qb savior he was more than good enough to win us more games than he actually did.

This is what I am saying.

2014, we were staked to a 23-7 lead in the second quarter. F$U then outscored us 23-3 the rest of the way. We missed a FG late in the first half and Dobard fumbled a long completion in the second half. Kaaya went 16-34, 316 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT, comparable to Rapeis Winston's 25-42, 304 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT.

2015, we were behind by 14, Kaaya took us back into the lead in the fourth quarter (our first lead of the game), and then Cook killed us with two long runs to retake the lead. Kaaya went 29-49 for 405 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs.

2016, we were staked to a 13-0 lead in the second quarter. F$U then outscored us 20-6 the rest of the way (including our blocked PAT late, when Kaaya led us back to nearly tie the game). Kaaya went 19-32, 214 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT.

So let's review. We lost 3 games to F$U by 4 points, 5 points, and 1 point. Kaaya averaged 300 yards per game over the 3 games, had 7 TD passes, and only threw 2 INTs. One pick was as a freshman, the other came at the beginning of the second half and did not "cost us the game". Kaaya led two comebacks, one of which fell short due to a missed PAT, the other of which was destroyed by Dalvin Cook.

I understand we lost all three games, but Kaaya battled hard in all three games and we were poised to beat F$U in OT in that third game. This is not a kid who was gun-shy or who disappeared against F$U.
Preach. I’ll never understand the Kaaya hate. Did he have shortcomings yes but coaches also didn’t do him any favors. That kid battled. That missed PAT is always glossed over after kayaa had for we thought was tied the game. Plus them were beastmode FSU squads packed with NFL talent. He’d mop these new FSU teams

With all the negative comments on Kaaya, some fair some not, name a more productive Qb Miami has had since Berlin??? Says everything you need to know about the last 15 years.

Advertisement
If Butch Davis had been Kaaya's head coach instead of Al Golden, Miami easily has a 10 win season.

I can picture Caneinorlando trying to process this.

HwgY.gif

Brad's primary problem was he played here under alfraud(hence no dorito). Any qb we could've played at the time was HORRIBLY hampered by the defense... It certainly didn't help that Brad himself became scared to take a big hit. Anyone who payed attention should've known he came in never having faced a legit d that'll punch you in yo****... That's something alot of small school socal kids struggle with. To blame our record on him though would just be dillusional. A cog in the machine was all he was.
He seemed to have a long memory of the hit that knocked him out of the Clemson game. He played as if he never trusted the OL after that.

Kaaya was a very good college QB and our all-time leading passer.

Best we've had since Brock, and he might've been considered better than Brock if he had the same defenses.

people need to give the kaaya bashing a rest.

at this point, it's like *****ing about mike rodrigue. he had his limitations, (don't we all)?? .... but that doesn't mean he didn't have his strengths.

he wasn't bernie kosar, i get it. but the dude passed for 10,000 yards as a three year starter. that's the all time best at UM and top 6 in the HISTORY of the ACC going back 60 years since they started keeping count. he finished off his career with his best games, including the last one when we ***** slapped WVU in the bowl and he throws 4 TD's.

he wasn't going to win the heisman, but he didn't suck either and people need to stop pretending he did. and if he had ANY help from the defense (and the miserable al folden coaching staff) in 2 of his 3 FSU games, he wins both of those. and he lost his junior year game with richt because of a botched freaking extra point. still trying to figure out how that's the kid's fault. but no matter.

time to put the kaaya bashing in the coffin and lower it into the ditch.

Advertisement
Brad Kaaya was a very nice, albeit athletically challenged college quarterback. The idea an NFL draft analyst (Todd McShay) got ahead of his skis & sold him as 1st round pick isn't a reflection on Kaaya. No need bashing a former Cane, but likewise no reason to let time make him larger or better than he was. A solid player, worked hard & represented the program well. Canes need a few more like Kaaya.

I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I don't think a 20-3 lead with over 26 minutes left in the game would have "ended" the game. Not against F$U.

By the way, I never said we had "no talent", I said it wasn't great talent, and it sure as **** was poor coaching. But I can agree with you on Kaaya's mobility.

I understand the micro-analysis of certain plays...but I just don't agree with it. Three consecutive years, Kaaya's play against a Top 10 team was consistently strong. And I disagree on your mix-and-match approach to critiquing Kaaya. He gets blamed for a freshman-year loss (game-ending INT) to the defending national champions, but the reality is that our defense handed over the lead, he retook it, our defense re-lost it, and YES, he had one bad play to end the final drive. But we were within range of the end zone because he moved us there. Twice.

Then, when he DOES have a great final drive (junior year), you flip to criticizing his early-third-quarter INT that did NOT cost us the game. Kid throws two picks in three years, leads 2 comebacks in three years, throws for nearly 1000 yards, 7 TDs, only 2 INTs, we lose by a total of 10 points across three years...and we're talking about the kid "freezing"?

I've seen shell-shocked QBs before. The last time Kaaya was on the field playing F$U, he led a comeback drive that SHOULD HAVE sent the game into OT.

Kaaya was **** good. Poor coaching, without a doubt.
You’re a ton more patient than I am. When I brought up similar points re: Kaaya’s stats in the fsu games and his response had something to do with Lashlee, I knew there wasn’t much point in continuing down that rabbit hole.

Preach. I’ll never understand the Kaaya hate. Did he have shortcomings yes but coaches also didn’t do him any favors. That kid battled. That missed PAT is always glossed over after kayaa had for we thought was tied the game. Plus them were beastmode FSU squads packed with NFL talent. He’d mop these new FSU teams
its simple, we have some idiot fans......period. Its too hard for them to do the work the guy above did getting facts so they just fall on 0-3.

Advertisement
its simple, we have some idiot fans......period. Its too hard for them to do the work the guy above did getting facts so they just fall on 0-3.
I also feel he played the second half in 16 with a concussion. Matthew Thomas knocked the **** outta him. We had the Walton TD called back and then we got Richt only calling inside draws 🤦🏾‍♂️

jimbo took richt behind the shed in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back