Jake Garcia thoughts

It's a good comp.

Any list will have busts but I was surprised at the hit rate. The majority of those guys played or will play in the NFL.
If anyone has witnessed how JT Daniels has completely transformed that entire UGA squad with his play alone people would be calling Garcia the pickup of the decade!

Advertisement
Just FYI, you cut-pasted the same set of quotes twice.
Thanks for the heads up-here is his Dad's quote on their recruiting experience w/USC

Something else Randy Garcia wants to clear up: why his son decommitted from USC. It’s not because it went after a third quarterback, but because of the way it went about pursuing a third quarterback quietly, he said.

“They could have gone after Joe Schmo from the local flag team; it didn’t matter who it was. The fact that they never said anything until the morning they offered (Dart) was the problem,” Randy Garcia said. “When Bryce Young decommitted, Helton was on the hot seat. Jake committed the following day and put out the flames. Recruiting is a dirty, dirty business. I would have a lot more respect for the process had a USC coach put Miller (Moss) and Jake on a conference call and said, ‘Hey, listen, because of these reasons, we needed a third quarterback in your class.’

“Because you know as well as I do, they called Jake and called Miller and said to both of them, ‘We still think you’re the dude in this class,’ blah, blah, blah. Well, if you’re gonna tell Jake that and Miller that separately, put us on a conference all at the same time and tell us, ‘Who’s the dude?’ You want to be transparent? Put us on a conference call, tell the kids what’s going on and let them make up their minds. But it’s a dirty business and it’s about the school. It’s not about the kids. So they put the kids in a bad spot because now the story is he’s running from competition. Well, he’s not running from the competition; he’s running from the mistrust. Be upfront.”

Like you, I was never excited about Garcia as I want another QB in the mold of King.
The pocket-passer types scare me with the OL play we've had over the last several years here. But, for once, I'm optimistic about some of the young guys on the roster. It seems that we're building some decent depth on the line for the first time in a while.

I think this class is going to be special. Not just from a talent perspective. The way this class has hung together never wavering on national signing day despite the UNC debacle the previous week.

I was really nervous after the UNC game that some recruits may waiver pushing their recruitment to February. None did. Now we have Garcia to compete with Van Dyke for 2022.

I think we break thru on a national level in 2022. 2021 has potential, but there are still things that need corrected.

Excellent excellent post, Bennu. I also loved Steve Walsh. He was just accurate, clutch and found ways to win. He had so many intangibles. He was a total winner.

Like you, I was never excited about Garcia as I want another QB in the mold of King. But like you said, the fact that this kid moved to Georgia - and then 2 different schools - I think he got disqualified from playing in one District - when he didn’t have to, showed me the intangibles. That he’s supposed to be accurate as well - it just started rubbing me as Steve Walsh-esque like you said.

I hope someone shows him some Steve Walsh highlights. Definition of a winner.
Sorry I missed your initial post. In terms of pure arm talent, he is as good and probably better. But the on-field intangibles are what made Walsh special. Time will tell if Garcia is built like that.

Advertisement
A lot.

Here are Miami's All-Time QB Recruit list.

Kyle Wright - .9984
Jake Garcia - .9775
Jarren Williams - .9614
Kevin Olsen - .9582
Kirby Freeman - .9440
Brad Kaaya - .9375
Robert Marve - .9373
Jack Allison - .9264
N'Kosi Perry - .9218
Tyler Van Dyke - .9173

Jake Garcia is basically a hair away from a 5-star ranking (5-stars start at .98). TVD was a low 4-star (4-stars start at a 90).

God **** that list is filled with a significant amount of slop.
Look at this list. Bursts and near bursts. I’m worried that Garcia is on it, and high on it for that matter. I hope he changes the narrative.

Glad he is on board. Kid showed me a lot by finding a place to play football all the way across the country. He is all in.

Most QB’s recruited at a high level have arm strength to a degreee, have some athleticism, size. What separates these guys? Obviously some arms are stronger, some are better athletes.

It really does come down to intangibles and some nuisances of the position.

I think Garcia has a leadership quality.
I also saw last night when Norcross double blitzes the LBer’s up the A gap, he keep his eyes down field then delivered the ball. He didn’t get happy feet, and drop his eyes to the rush, then take a sack.

He doesn’t have to be a great athlete, but he needs to be able to manipulate the pocket, slide around to avoid the pass rush, and deliver the ball. Something Brady, Manning, and Brees have done so well.

I also did see him throw a ball seemingly 60 plus yards on a cold night. I didn’t know he had that type of arm strength.

Advertisement
If the class years were reversed and we took Garcia before TVD the board would be a lot more positive but instead thinks TVD will be the savior. QB is a craps shoot, the more highly rated QB’s we have the better our chances are of finding a guy. We don’t know if either will be but I like our chances with two options instead of one.

Most QB’s recruited at a high level have arm strength to a degreee, have some athleticism, size. What separates these guys? Obviously some arms are stronger, some are better athletes.

It really does come down to intangibles and some nuisances of the position.

I think Garcia has a leadership quality.
I also saw last night when Norcross double blitzes the LBer’s up the A gap, he keep his eyes down field then delivered the ball. He didn’t get happy feet, and drop his eyes to the rush, then take a sack.

He doesn’t have to be a great athlete, but he needs to be able to manipulate the pocket, slide around to avoid the pass rush, and deliver the ball. Something Brady, Manning, and Brees have done so well.

I also did see him throw a ball seemingly 60 plus yards on a cold night. I didn’t know he had that type of arm strength.
And he was moving to the left to and under pressure. He definitely got some zip on his passes and his downfield arm strength surprised me too. Even though the throw was incomplete that throw was very impressive imo

Advertisement
He seems to be ambidextrous - noticed he signed his LOI with his left hand yet he throws with his right.

My daughter is the same way. 100% left handed as a writer and a batter. Only throws right -handed. Uses both feet as a soccer player. Lot of advantages to having two strong sides.

My biggest concern is to why USC cooled off on him?
I think the recruiting of Dart was more about not being left holding the bag is Garcia bolted. All the Miami attention, etc and the fact he moved to the East Coast. Moss was never in doubt; once the kid committed he wasn't going anywhere. To me, Dart is another version of Slovis

Advertisement
He seems to be ambidextrous - noticed he signed his LOI with his left hand yet he throws with his right.

My daughter is the same way. 100% left handed as a writer and a batter. Only throws right -handed. Uses both feet as a soccer player. Lot of advantages to having two strong sides.

My dad writes lefty but does everything else with his right hand from throwing a football/baseball to eating.

He blames his sister for teaching him to write that way and in all honesty, he writing is horrendous.

He was flirting with Miami on social media and moved East. USC kept his spot but offered a third QB as protection. Bryce Young burned them last year. They ended up signing two good prospects which was their goal.
I could have sworn they offered the other QB before he moved to Georgia?

Advertisement
Back