Jake Garcia thoughts

Advertisement
Another thing that stood out to me @DMoney, was his former teammates at Valdosta are all still pulling for him to do good. He was only at VHS for a short while, and for him to have that type of impact on his teammates speaks volumes to what kind of leader that we’ve picked up.
I know a coach from Valdosta HS. He said Garcia’s leadership ability was amazing. The team became his the day he stepped on the practice field.

Garcia needs to work on his feet and follow through. His stats seem pretty solid, though It would be better if he didn't have as many Interceptions. But at least I think his level of competition was higher than like Goffs... I think Garcia has a quick enough release, but idk he looks awkward after the ball leaves his hand on some throws, like throwing the ball deep took a lot of effort or something. Not really questioning his arm either, because he looks like he can hit the throws (Don't think he's like Colt McCoy who had no arm at all), but it just doesn't feel as easy as it does for Goff. Basically I think Goff is a more natural passer than Garcia - which is what made him a #1 overall pick. But theres a lot of room between Kaaya and Goff, so if Garcia is somewhere in that ballpark, that'll be a pretty **** good QB for us.

Plus they have different body types, Goff was tall and kinda lanky while Garcia is more athletic looking - though not sure he actually is more athletic. Anyone know if Garcia was a multi-sport athlete? Usually its pretty good when the QBs have played multiple sports each year. Lots of top NFL QBs played baseball (not necessarily pitcher btw) and Football.

Goff HL Garcia HL 1 Garcia HL 2
As far as follow through, QB mechanics are changing. Now, in order to prevent over rotation, you don’t see as many QBs with their shoulder of their throwing arm pointing at their target. Shoulders are basically lateral to the target.
Also, you’ll see their Back foot pivot or drag instead of a big leg kick.......it’s just how modern mechanics are being taught. I think this is the lesser follow through that you describe.

How slow is he? He is like a true statue like Trask? Or can he run a little bit if necessary. I havent seen him run in the clips I've watch but I really hope this isn't another kaaya. Kaaya was pretty good with a clean pocket but he couldn't get out of any pressure when the pocket collapsed. The way Miamis OL seems to always be that spells trouble and is the exact reason I'm praying for one more fun year with King.

Advertisement
110's, 300's, "toughness" drills, & mat drills aren't going to fix this. Hope the S&C staff has learned something about visual-cognitive-motor skill training vs pointless jogging at 60% intensity
Say more please. This is an important topic for our program. We're below the standard on modern S&C and data analytics and profiling, IMO.

How slow is he? He is like a true statue like Trask? Or can he run a little bit if necessary. I havent seen him run in the clips I've watch but I really hope this isn't another kaaya. Kaaya was pretty good with a clean pocket but he couldn't get out of any pressure when the pocket collapsed. The way Miamis OL seems to always be that spells trouble and is the exact reason I'm praying for one more fun year with King.
He’s obviously not mobile like king but he’s also not immobile like kaaya

Garcia will make the QB room competitive again - not including King. He's smart; the kid has picked up two offensive systems pretty quick this spring. He's a gamer; stands in and takes a hit to make a big throw. No one is saying he will be a Heisman contender but he will absolutely raise the level of that QB room and he comes in with the support of the entire offensive part of his class. I just don't see any downside to this and am not sure why all the negativity. Lashlee clearly wanted him - he didn't even recruit other guys that hard.
100%

Say more please. This is an important topic for our program. We're below the standard on modern S&C and data analytics and profiling, IMO.

I've made this point in the past. Yeah man, we are out of sync with the modernity of college football.

****, still waiting on the SEEKER to appear on Greentree. After we watch Dee Wiggins, Mark Pope, and Mike Harley (in the first few games) drop everything thrown their way...you'd figure we'd get on this...but here we are.

Advertisement
I've made this point in the past. Yeah man, we are out of sync with the modernity of college football.

****, still waiting on the SEEKER to appear on Greentree. After we watch Dee Wiggins, Mark Pope, and Mike Harley (in the first few games) drop everything thrown their way...you'd figure we'd get on this...but here we are.
It’s part of the evaluations topic I harm on, and definitely part of the QB training program at modern places. There are so many tools and resources available today to improve decision making.

Yes. He has good pocket presence mentally- he's not scared and he is aware of his surroundings. It's more about twitch.

He's shown flashes in that area (check the clips above) so hopefully he can continue to grow in that aspect.
Couple interesting comments from his QB coach:

“The things that he doesn’t get enough credit for is his athleticism,” Hernandez said. “The guy can move. He has very good spatial awareness, and that’s one thing that not a lot of quarterbacks have. You see a pocket passer and you think that he’s a statue back there. But he really understands how to create space, how to generate power in small spaces, and those are a lot of things that we’ve worked on in the offseason to be able to get him to do that. He embraces that gift that he has.”

Hernandez said Garcia has a strong arm and can throw a ball 70 yards.

“The thing that I always look at when it comes to arm strength is 20 yards into whatever that maximum is, you got to be an absolute surgeon,” Hernandez said. “I believe he is. Everything that’s basically in that umbrella of 50 yards, the kid is gonna put it exactly on the spot that it needs to be. He’s very accurate.”

And his dad on the how it went down with USC:

“The things that he doesn’t get enough credit for is his athleticism,” Hernandez said. “The guy can move. He has very good spatial awareness, and that’s one thing that not a lot of quarterbacks have. You see a pocket passer and you think that he’s a statue back there. But he really understands how to create space, how to generate power in small spaces, and those are a lot of things that we’ve worked on in the offseason to be able to get him to do that. He embraces that gift that he has.”

“The thing that I always look at when it comes to arm strength is 20 yards into whatever that maximum is, you got to be an absolute surgeon,” Hernandez said. “I believe he is. Everything that’s basically in that umbrella of 50 yards, the kid is gonna put it exactly on the spot that it needs to be. He’s very accurate.”

Advertisement
Couple interesting comments from his QB coach:

And his dad on the how it went down with USC:

Just FYI, you cut-pasted the same set of quotes twice.

Advertisement
@DMoney , do you get Steve Walsh vibes with this kid?
Not sure DMoney saw your post, but I didn't want it to go unanswered. Steve Walsh is my all time favorite Cane QB. He was the definition of clutch. I can't tell you his completion percentage or how strong of an arm he had or whether his throwing motion was correct, but I can tell you that he consistently made plays under the lights with the nation watching and hating when it mattered most. Old Stevie Ice Water.

I agree with DMoney that Jake's decision to play in spite of the ban in California, to do so in south Georgia, and to play at a really high level has changed my opinion on him. I was where other posters were on him. I honestly didn't think he'd be much competition for TVD. But that south Georgia region is an uber-talent rich and football crazy part of the country, and Jake has been outstanding on two different elite teams down there. To do that at the QB position is really really impressive. Football requires trust and typically it takes guys time to gel. And I don't mean to imply that his new teammates there would not have been receptive to having an elite high school QB join their team, I'm sure most of them would. It's just that it usually takes time for everyone to get in sync, i.e., pick up the offense, learn tendencies, etc. Jake has stepped right in twice and made a great impact.

Based on that I believe the kid is mentally tough and adaptable, which means he should fit right in here. I love that he comes from a blue collar back ground. If like DMoney claims, he's physically tough and, more importantly, unafraid, I'm far less concerned about how twitchy he is. Our OL is getting better, and I'm more concerned about his ability to quickly decide where he needs to go with the ball (and the scary thought that our commits were recruiting him harder than our coaches. I'll leave that alone for now).

To your question about Steve Walsh vibes, to this point, as an old head, I'll say I do get those vibes. I even like the kid's name - Jake. I'm NOT crowning him a Steve Walsh clone, just saying it is Walsh like to want to compete with the best so bad that you move across the country to a football hotbed and show out. We obviously won't know who he is as a QB until he's in a really game at this level, but what I've seen from him over this past year has really elevated my confidence in his likelihood of success here. I also think Jake should do himself a favor in studying film on Stevie Walsh. Let's hope for our sake that he is like him.

I've hated that we haven't been able to see more TVD this season since it was a throw away year because in addition to throwing it well he struck me as being tough, like he too plays fearlessly. If this turns out to be true, it's a good place for us to be in.

Here's the link for his game tonight. It's a small subscription fee but you can cancel at any time. also, you can designate the fee to go to any school you want.

Not sure DMoney saw your post, but I didn't want it to go unanswered. Steve Walsh is my all time favorite Cane QB. He was the definition of clutch. I can't tell you his completion percentage or how strong of an arm he had or whether his throwing motion was correct, but I can tell you that he consistently made plays under the lights with the nation watching and hating when it mattered most. Old Stevie Ice Water.

I agree with DMoney that Jake's decision to play in spite of the ban in California, to do so in south Georgia, and to play at a really high level has changed my opinion on him. I was where other posters were on him. I honestly didn't think he'd be much competition for TVD. But that south Georgia region is an uber-talent rich and football crazy part of the country, and Jake has been outstanding on two different elite teams down there. To do that at the QB position is really really impressive. Football requires trust and typically it takes guys time to gel. And I don't mean to imply that his new teammates there would not have been receptive to having an elite high school QB join their team, I'm sure most of them would. It's just that it usually takes time for everyone to get in sync, i.e., pick up the offense, learn tendencies, etc. Jake has stepped right in twice and made a great impact.

Based on that I believe the kid is mentally tough and adaptable, which means he should fit right in here. I love that he comes from a blue collar back ground. If like DMoney claims, he's physically tough and, more importantly, unafraid, I'm far less concerned about how twitchy he is. Our OL is getting better, and I'm more concerned about his ability to quickly decide where he needs to go with the ball (and the scary thought that our commits were recruiting him harder than our coaches. I'll leave that alone for now).

To your question about Steve Walsh vibes, to this point, as an old head, I'll say I do get those vibes. I even like the kid's name - Jake. I'm NOT crowning him a Steve Walsh clone, just saying it is Walsh like to want to compete with the best so bad that you move across the country to a football hotbed and show out. We obviously won't know who he is as a QB until he's in a really game at this level, but what I've seen from him over this past year has really elevated my confidence in his likelihood of success here. I also think Jake should do himself a favor in studying film on Stevie Walsh. Let's hope for our sake that he is like him.

I've hated that we haven't been able to see more TVD this season since it was a throw away year because in addition to throwing it well he struck me as being tough, like he too plays fearlessly. If this turns out to be true, it's a good place for us to be in.
Excellent excellent post, Bennu. I also loved Steve Walsh. He was just accurate, clutch and found ways to win. He had so many intangibles. He was a total winner.

Like you, I was never excited about Garcia as I want another QB in the mold of King. But like you said, the fact that this kid moved to Georgia - and then 2 different schools - I think he got disqualified from playing in one District - when he didn’t have to, showed me the intangibles. That he’s supposed to be accurate as well - it just started rubbing me as Steve Walsh-esque like you said.

I hope someone shows him some Steve Walsh highlights. Definition of a winner.

Advertisement
Back