Jake Garcia in spring

let's be real there is no competition this spring.

the path of outcomes for Garcia is pretty clear:

- if TVD has a great year and declares, Garcia returns and enters next spring as the presumptive starter
- if TVD has a great year and comes back, Garcia transfers out
- if TVD doesn't have a great year and comes back, there is competition next spring and the loser transfers out

coming back this year, getting a feel for the new staff and seeing how this all plays out always made the most sense for him
You forgot:

-Brown surprises everyone and gets playing time as our "JJ MacCarthy" Change of pace / Running QB.

He looks so good and elusive that he eventually becomes the starter in 2023.

#TheGuysWeHaveNeverSeenAreUsuallyTheBest

Advertisement
But what did we see with our actually eyes ? When they both played was one better than the other or they both played about the same ? Like I get it coach said tvd but we seen both in the spring and in live game setting Jake keep up with TVD … have we not ?
When TVD struggled early against UVA I could’ve seen Garcia getting a look to try and spark the team. TVD took an opportunity and when it clicked ran with it. Now we are in a good spot with our QB room.

Advertisement
What was Jake's injury this past season? Also, did he have any serious injuries in high school? Sorry if I am behind the loop.

As the #1 promoter for Garcia as QB I have watched all the limited videos of him there are. 1. He reads the defense quickly. 2. He's very accurate at all levels. 3. Has a quick release. 4. Excellent pocket presence, keeps eyes downfield and doesn't panic. 5. Can run very well. 6. Doesn't need to put a lot of air on his deep passes which doesn't give DB's a chance to make up ground.

Kid has skills "similar" to Aaron Rodgers.
I AGREE with everything you said but TVD is even better. We are very lucky.
When is the last time we had this much talent in the QB room?

Advertisement
What was Jake's injury this past season? Also, did he have any serious injuries in high school? Sorry if I am behind the loop.
Not sure of what the specifics were ... but he apparently had his ankle rolled up on during the Ct. State game. Might have aggravated an old HS injury and they decided surgery was the best bet for it to be corrected. They are very tight with injury information. Could have been a soft tissue injury of some type ... had to have been unless there was a dislocation as well. Those can be nasty. Glad he is 100% and hope he stays to take over a year from now.

When TVD struggled early against UVA I could’ve seen Garcia getting a look to try and spark the team. TVD took an opportunity and when it clicked ran with it. Now we are in a good spot with our QB room.

We could have had a totally different conversation this year about TVD transferring out if Garcia wasn't hurt last year. It's not like TVD was head and shoulders above Garcia last Spring. He had 1 year on Garcia but on the field it seemed pretty even to me.

We could have had a totally different conversation this year about TVD transferring out if Garcia wasn't hurt last year. It's not like TVD was head and shoulders above Garcia last Spring. He had 1 year on Garcia but on the field it seemed pretty even to me.
I think TVD was ahead a little but when he struggled early in his first few starts I could've seen the coached go to Garcia if he was healthy.

Advertisement
I think TVD was ahead a little but when he struggled early in his first few starts I could've seen the coached go to Garcia if he was healthy.
Pretty sure Garcia would have gone in when TVD suffered those slow starts. They really had no other option so TVD was allowed to play through his struggles. Who knows what would have happened if Garcia would have gone in and sparked the offense?

Pretty sure Garcia would have gone in when TVD suffered those slow starts. They really had no other option so TVD was allowed to play through his struggles. Who knows what would have happened if Garcia would have gone in and sparked the offense?
Those struggles were simply slow starts and he rectified that pretty quickly. If Garcia is better he'll show that from here on out with new coaches who are totally neutral.

I know TVD is QB1 but I hate when people try to make it seem like he’s sooo much better than Jake. Let’s remember…. it was a competition till Jake got hurt. If Jake doesn’t get hurt who knows what happens. It just happens that tvd ran with his opportunity. Which put us in a great position. We should have two back to back nfl draft picks.
And I hate when people try to make it seem like a guy who’s never played is probably as good as a guy who has. Maybe Garcia is as good, maybe he’s better. Or not. But having seen him in practice means f*ck all. Until you see him in a few games, you have no idea what he can do. Then again, TVD has shown what he can do in real games against real opponents who mean him no good. Until they’ve both played multiple games we won’t know for sure, but it’s foolish to pretend there’s any question about who should start at this point.

Advertisement
Those struggles were simply slow starts and he rectified that pretty quickly. If Garcia is better he'll show that from here on out with new coaches who are totally neutral.
I think “totally neutral” might be a stretch, but I believe they’ll play the guy they believe has the best chance to win. It’s amazing that that even needs to be said.

I'll never understand this "either or" fandom dynamic that so many seem to employ across sports. It devolves into denigrating one promising contributor because of need to support another promising contributor

But in reality...TVD was ahead...

NOTHING wrong with "Playing through struggles" whatsoever....

Advertisement
Back