Jaelan Phillips-5 Star UCLA transfer

From sport illustrated

UCLA linebacker Jaelan Phillips was the No. 1 overall prospect in the 2017 recruiting cycle according to the 247Sports composite rankings, and two years later, he’s looking for a new school. He took an official visit to Miami this week, and his comments on social media indicate that he may soon be a Cane. Phillips recorded 41 tackles and 4.5 sacks in 11 games at UCLA before a concussion ended his 2018 season and the school announced he was medically retiring from football after two injury-plagued years in Westwood. At Miami, he would join former UCLA defensive lineman Chigozie Nnoruke, who announced his plans to join the Hurricanes this week on Twitter. Nnoruke played in 11 games for the Bruins last year as a reserve, while starting 10 in 2017 when he posted 49 tackles, 8.5 for loss and two sacks.

Good article. Worth the read.
https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/01/25/transfer-portal-jaelan-phillips-miami-virginia-tech

Advertisement
From sport illustrated

UCLA linebacker Jaelan Phillips was the No. 1 overall prospect in the 2017 recruiting cycle according to the 247Sports composite rankings, and two years later, he’s looking for a new school. He took an official visit to Miami this week, and his comments on social media indicate that he may soon be a Cane. Phillips recorded 41 tackles and 4.5 sacks in 11 games at UCLA before a concussion ended his 2018 season and the school announced he was medically retiring from football after two injury-plagued years in Westwood. At Miami, he would join former UCLA defensive lineman Chigozie Nnoruke, who announced his plans to join the Hurricanes this week on Twitter. Nnoruke played in 11 games for the Bruins last year as a reserve, while starting 10 in 2017 when he posted 49 tackles, 8.5 for loss and two sacks.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/01/25/transfer-portal-jaelan-phillips-miami-virginia-tech
So he visited already

From sport illustrated

Please be true, gotta take a chance on his type of talent

Taking him is a no brainer. He is an ultra rare talent. I remember watching his first game against A&M and thinking he was the next Clowney but with better technique.
His injuries have been things that happen to everyone. I’m sure Chip Kelly is part of the problem chasing all of his players away like he did in Philly.

Last edited:
He's worth the risk, even if his brain is mush.

You don't stumble upon former #1 EDGE players every day. They have a high success rate and an even better contribution rate. If he can physically play, he's going to be very good. The guy had 4.5 sacks in the equivalent of a freshman season. Thats good and clearly has the talent to build on it (FWIW - Jon Garvin has 7.5 sacks in 20 games through two years).

Advertisement
Taking him is a no brainer. He is an ultra rare talent. I remember watching his first game against A&M and thinking he was the next Clowney but with better technique.
His injuries have been things that happen to everyone. I’m sure Chip Kelly is part of the problem chasing all of his players away like he did in Philly.

CHIP
KELLY.

Her can't get caught walking around Philly on GAWD

Advertisement
He's worth the risk, even if his brain is mush.

You don't stumble upon former #1 EDGE players every day. They have a high success rate and an even better contribution rate. If he can physically play, he's going to be very good. The guy had 4.5 sacks in the equivalent of a freshman season. Thats good and clearly has the talent to build on it (FWIW - Jon Garvin has 7.5 sacks in 20 games through two years).
I hope this kid is fully and accurately evaluated before he ever puts his brain at any further risk. Football ain't that important.

Advertisement
From what I can remember he was one best players at the Army game and was a standout defensive player on field in the epic UCLA vs TAMU Rosen game...hope he can stay healthy

Advertisement
Rivals mugging off this portal when we're getting the number one player from 2017. Yeah i'd laugh at that too

Bubba Bolden posted this a few hours ago ...
7CCD381B-394A-462A-9EC4-6CB0850489D3.jpeg

Advertisement
Back