Jaelan Phillips-5 Star UCLA transfer

Advertisement
Ok not to high jack a thread but I wanted to point something out when it comes to recruiting trends.

We could have had all the STA kids at Miami had we been more patient with J.Davis and not turned down J. Brown. Those kids were all coming from an elite program and showed interest in playing together. That pipeline unraveled as the kids got in eachothers heads and our season fell apart.

Similar to Carol city, we had that place locked down until this season. We weren’t making their top guys priorities and it left us with nothing. These kids from top high schools want to play together.

These Vegas kids are recruiting each other more so than our coaches are recruiting them. It’s great to see but hopefully the staff recognizes why.

Just my two cents. Would love to hear others opinions.

i respectfully disagree. just because they come from elite programs/feeder schools doesn't mean we have to take everyone from that school. We need to be just as selective in our backyard. I'm fine with passing on brown originally b/c the guys we had on the backer board were desired more. i see what you're talking about in general though.

i'll point out that i did like davis originally and you can never have enough competent nickel corners

Advertisement
Not trying to cause a conflict, but do we have any evidence that he was declared medically ineligible? I’ve seen several things that said his season was over, but nothing reported that says his career was.
I am not sure that's why I am asking. I know he medically retired, so I figured he had to have some kind of medical decision to do so. Thought they may have ruled him ineligible.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...hillips-will-medically-retire-due-to-injuries

Advertisement
Not saying you don't have valid points but for every instance like the ones you mention there are countless other ones where we've made kids and schools and even high school coaches "priorities" and they still **** on us and clowned us in the end.

The notion of an actual perennial "pipeline school" to UM in Broward or Dade is always more of a goal than an achievable reality, imo.

I think we aim to dominate the entire local area in recruiting without over-relying on specific schools (as much as you can do that, obviously. STA and others are always going to be churning our talent).

Fair. Nothing is guaranteed with these kids/coaches.

But, we have the most talented high schools in the country littered around our campus. It may not be possible to have a legit pipeline but it still needs to be the goal.

IMO that means you've got to pitch them on playing together and give them every opportunity to do so. (If they are scholarship worthy of course).

You are in for a rude awakening. Willis was a 5th year senior. Nasty will be in his 2nd year. DT is one of the toughest positions to make a splash early. However, if we get the UCLA kid to start alongside him and Bethel, Ford and Miller can be anything above JAGS, I'm feeling good about our inside DL.
I know all about DT. Nesta already has the size to play at DT. His strength will go through the roof this year. Willis was much smaller coming out of HS. The main difference is going to be depth. We can’t expect Nesta to play as many snaps this year as Willis did last year. Thats why getting the UCLA DT transfer is so huge.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back