Jacurri Brown's game today

i think jacurri is an exciting prospect but every time he is discussed on this board, people bring up cam newton and vince young. someone in this thread posted a video of lamar jackson. people need to understand how high of a bar that is for any player -- three heismans, two NFL MVPs in that group. my thing with jacurri is, putting the throwing question aside, whether he has the athleticism to be the scrambler/runner in college that he looks like in high school. personally, i don't really see it. i could be wrong, i just don't see the twitchiness. comparing him to cam, vince young is pretty ridiculous to me, those are once in a generation players.

there's a bunch of QBs every year who are 6-4, 200ish pounds and who can run. go look at the 247 dual threat QB rankings for any recruiting class. ****, this is the kind of QB that virginia tech almost exclusively recruits: logan thomas, josh jackson, henden hooker etc. there's guys like kelly bryant, jarrett stidham. that anthony richardson the kid at UF. and those are the pretty good players... the rankings have dozens upon dozens of 4 star 6-4, 200 dual threats who never did anything in college.

again, i think jacurri is really exciting. maybe he's a better prospect than a lot of the other similar rated recruits -- he's been really productive in a tough region, seems like a great leader, wants to be great. but people need to prepare themselves for the fact that his skillset is much more likely to produce outcomes similar to those virginia tech QBs i named than cam newton or vince young.

Advertisement
People forget that at Auburn Lashlee/Malzahn were running spread option offenses with mobile QBs that HS coaches still wax nostalgic about. 11on11 football is a powerful thing.

The N'kosi Perry comparisons are idiotic because Jacurri actually has functional pocket movement. He's shown he can climb the pocket, slide and reset his feet, get flushed and throw on the move. He's very dangerous on 2nd reaction plays but in a good way not self-destructive like Perry. Perry was a chicken with his head cut off in HS. He really struggled in the conventional dropback game and broke structure with disastrous results, and of course that carried over to college.

As far as running QBs go Jacurri is further along mechanically than most and that speaks to the work he's put in with offseason training over the years. Yet our "fans" act like he's a total project just playing backyard football with no substance to his game as a passer.
Lashlee doesnt want to run that. He wants a QB who can make the reads and passes.....not a running back playing QB. Whether its TVD or Garcia next year if lashlee is still here the offense will look alot different.

Neither was Lamar Jackson coming out of HS. Or RG3. He can ABSOLUTELY be a stud dual threat QB in college.
Correct. Doesn’t mean he will develop like those two. However, both of them were about at the same level as passers at this point in their careers. It’s a projection but we are in a place to take a shot. The potential here is through the roof and he is a great kid. I’ll take my shot here.

Don’t know if y’all gonna like this, but this kid is not good. If Kosi could barely play at Miami… then this has no chance. So glad we have Garcia.

I think he looks similar to Vince Young with his style. I’m not saying he is, but he has size, legit speed and can throw the ball. Clearly improvement with his passing need to take place. But worse case, this kid looks like a 6-4 stud receiver. My opinion

Advertisement
Let me try to understand these posts since I didn’t watch the game and only read what I can here.
Brown lead Lowndes to 2 touchdowns in the final 26 seconds by throwing 2 touchdown passes, of his total of 3, and also ran for 150 yards.
And people are on this website complaining about mechanics? Is anyone considering just how stupid a complaint about mechanics is after watching a quarterback lead a team back from 14 points that late in a game?
The kid is a winner and he’s the best athlete on the field.
Lashlee and Diaz are not so dumb as to pass up on someone with the potential of a Lamar Jackson or Vince Young or at least Tayson HIll. You think players like this grow on trees?
CIS Gonna CIS....smfh

Advertisement
I am not saying the kid is going to be elite at the next level or start at a major program, but how does he get an invite to the elite 11 amongst the nation's top qb prospects if he was that terrible?
He ended up rated 20th best at Elite 11. I guess they have at least 20 at the Elite 11. It’s like how some states count votes these days.

At least on the Elite 11 Report I saw.

Again, I am not saying he is going to be elite. Still he made it among the top prospects. Doesn't guarantee anything, but he certainly worth a shot on just potential. If he doesn't pan out you still have an incredible athlete.
Kirby Friedman was an Elite 11.

] i just don't see the twitchiness. comparing him to cam, vince young is pretty ridiculous to me, those are once in a generation players.

there's a bunch of QBs every year who are 6-4, 200ish pounds and who can run. go look at the 247 dual threat QB rankings for any recruiting class. ****, this is the kind of QB that virginia tech almost exclusively recruits: logan thomas, josh jackson, henden hooker etc. there's guys like kelly bryant, jarrett stidham. that anthony richardson the kid at UF. and those are the pretty good players... the rankings have dozens upon dozens of 4 star 6-4, 200 dual threats who never did anything in college.

again, i think jacurri is really exciting. maybe he's a better prospect than a lot of the other similar rated recruits -- he's been really productive in a tough region, seems like a great leader, wants to be great. but people need to prepare themselves for the fact that his skillset is much more likely to produce outcomes similar to those virginia tech QBs i named than cam newton or vince young.

Once in a generation yet both Vince and Cam are from the same generation, explain that one to me.

Advertisement
There's a lot to work with, but he just isnt' one of those guys who is ready to play day one. Which is fine, this is where depth and the ability to take your time with players of this ilk comes in handy. The question is : is he willing to work and wait for his turn
Yeah, guys. Have patience….meant patients.
This place my god.
Multiple threads about how Goldie could’ve landed us in the moon with Lamar Jackson.
Then turnaround and criticize Garcia and tvd cause they’re not a real dual threat.
How many dudes on here weren’t impressed with Garcia at all and were critical about us taking him? I still recall a thread where someone said “the only reason Garcia looks good is because he has 2 p5 receivers at Narbone”.
Brown is not a good running qb. He is an exceptional running qb. He’s a fckng problem out there. A really big fckng problem. His arm is good enough to be more than respected but his running is a **** nightmare for a dc. To big to tackle with a small guy and too fast to tackle with a big guy.
People out here making blanket statements without asking about how good is his offense scheme right now? What about his receivers?
Good running qb’s have wrecked havoc in cfb since shoelaces went to Michigan. Exceptional running qb’s make irrelevant teams look like the next man up. Nobody wanted to play Louisville and auburn ain’t winning sht without cam. This place would explode if Plunlee would’ve transferred here.
There is always the element of not knowing till he plays an actual college game. But wtf??!!!
We always had trouble with mobile QBs during JJ’s years. And those guys were often average passers at best.

You look at Lamar Jackson high school highlights and he just jumps out the screen,you look at jacuri and it the same thing. I’m not saying his going to be Lamar Jackson but I think we got a special talent in jacuri brown.the kid just makes plays

You look at Lamar Jackson high school highlights and he just jumps out the screen,you look at jacuri and it the same thing. I’m not saying his going to be Lamar Jackson but I think we got a special talent in jacuri brown.the kid just makes plays

It took Bobby Petrino 2 years to turn LamarJackson into a very good passing QB. The last year was Jackson deciding to put on thed extra training he needed to get better, he in used VR goggles to help him train of the field. Brown further to go develop than Jackson did.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
It took Bobby Petrino 2 years to turn LamarJackson into a very good passing QB. The last year was Jackson deciding to put on thed extra training he needed to get better, he in used VR goggles to help him train of the field.

Go Canes
Jackson started 8 games his freshman year had like 20 tds.his sophomore year won the heisman had over 50 tds so if brown is just half as productive in college ad Jackson we got a good one.

Agree.
We need Accurate Passers.
Not accurate is no bueno.

Reading Rosier's name reminded me that he definitely had some B-LLS !!
Not the best passer of course but i will always remember that play against FSU on their turf with 6 seconds left when he came out from the sideline egging the crowd on by raising his arms; only to thereafter complete the winning TD to Langham .
If he could have us a season like Rosier first one as a starter I’ll take it lol. Thing is he is 100x the runner buddy was. You have to stack the box with this cat.

There's a lot to work with, but he just isnt' one of those guys who is ready to play day one. Which is fine, this is where depth and the ability to take your time with players of this ilk comes in handy. The question is : is he willing to work and wait for his turn
True that! Cause we have two other 4* guys who could play now waiting their turns and we will bring more 4* guys in 23 and beyond. There will be plenty of other options if buddy cannot get right.

Advertisement
Back