J.J. helping Manny out.

Advertisement
We have talented 4 and 5 star guys yet its due to poor coaching as to why they seem to regress each year
JJ is talking about the quality of recruiting not just perceived talent, which is quite often overrated.
It’s more about everything beyond just the physical attributes which yields a high quality player.

The players background, motivation, drive, focus, passion, preparation, goals, intellect, mental fortitude, maturity, socioeconomic status, spiritually, etc. That’s why recruiting is about building relationships and mastering the alchemical process - V.I.T.R.I.O.L.

(The alchemical motto for vitriol is “Visita Interiora Terrae Rectificando Invenies Occultum Lapidem,”
“Visit the interior of the earth and rectifying (purifying) you will find the hidden stone.”)

“The current HC lacks HC’ing and may not recognize some of the things that may be holding him and the program back from achieving more success.”

He doesn’t have to mention anything about him being fired. He can be more direct with being and *******. To be clear, that’s not what I’m asking him to be. Just don’t sell me the BS sandwich about Manny being able to get it done.

Alas, tho we’ve spent too much time on this. I enjoy these dialogues my guy!
JJ isn’t going to entertain what your opinion is much less speak it for you. You have all day/night on the board to post away. JJ also isn’t going to cause riffs or issues in the media, who already take things and run with them. He said he hesitated to reach but ultimately did. Just cause that’s what you would say to the media doesn’t mean Jimmy should follow your lead.

Talent is never fully realized until it's developed. I get what JJ is saying and other elite coaches will talk about the need to have great recruiters stacking the depth chart, but you can't out-talent poor coaching. And it's not just development. You've gotta be able to manage the egos and get everyone fed.

Advertisement
People's criticism of JJ's comments are extremely misdirected.

If you think he's going to come out & blast a sitting HC at his school publicly in the media then you simply have no idea how JJ feels about this school & program.

Whatever critiques he would have would be in person directly to the man, going in the media & trashing a coach is bush league & counterproductive for an icon like Jimmy.

If JJ was watching games & said he noticed some things that needed to be changed, then it's pretty clear he gave constructive criticism & the fact he said he wasn't sure how Manny would take means that it wasn't all just nice guy talk.
JJ was an operator. he was brutal and blunt in his day. I don’t believe for a minute he called to sugarcoat things.

Folks here are crazy, confusing fan emotion for professional behavior. Some folks here are upset because JJ wants to help no matter who our HC is? What would they prefer, that JJ quit caring?

Nearly spilled my drink laughing at the idea that football could conceivably change so drastically in 3 decades that Jimmy wouldn't have valuable, sage advice for the HC at UM.

We’ve got people here so wrapped in negativity, maybe because they’re miserable in their own lives, that they can’t see something good coming from one of our legends.

The simple minded third grade level thinking here is something to behold.

In the first place, I’ve never heard a quote like this from Jimmy Johnson before. He’s never said anything like this about another coach. So him saying this is completely novel.

JJ could’ve very well have read him the riot act, or at the very least had a very blunt realistic type of critique. We don’t know. But assuming he did, does anyone think that he would then broadcast that to the media?

That’s why am saying some of you guys are simple minded. You assume that because he left the gloves on when talking to the media it means that’s how he spoke to Manny.

Newsflash for some of you simple bozos. All coaches have a habit of not bad mouthing other coaches, no matter how bad they are, to the media. It just doesn’t happen. But that’s not how they talk to each other.

At the end of the day, if Manny is as bad as I think he is, it’s not gonna make a difference. But at least show some respect for Jimmy Johnson

Last edited:
Advertisement
So a HOF coach says its not the quality of coaching, but the quality of recruiting.

The Truth is, jimmy johnson and jerry west have some of the best eye's for talent in the history of their sport and ozzie newsome definitely is one of the greatest talent evaluators of all time. When its all said and done, ozzie may end u drafting the most H.O.F.'s

I can almost guarantee one of the observations was if you see your oc calling consistently dumb ****, tell em you want 3 running plays, sitting back watching those 5 & 7 step drops against the gaytors over and over was just as much as coach diaz fault as it was for enos already!
I sure he had a few choice words to Olividotti after that "hail flutie" pass.

Advertisement
So a HOF coach says its not the quality of coaching, but the quality of recruiting.

Player development means finding superior players. All of a sudden the entire staff are geniuses at player development. Jimmy Johnson got sick of losing to Oklahoma at a job where Oklahoma had access to superior players, so he took a job where he had access to superior players than Oklahoma.

Nick Saban has done a superior job at player development at LSU and Alabama than he ever did at Michigan State.

He doesn’t have to call him trash. He can acknowledge that Manny has limitations that may prevent him from being successful instead of the company lines

Just because JJ has a difference in opinion than most on CIS doesn’t make it the company line.

The only saving grace with Manny right now is that everyone says he’s hardworking and smart. So I don’t see that as news.

Advertisement
Jimmy is also assuming you are developing players and running a sound scheme as well.

I know Jimmy loves his Jimmies and Joes but as we know...he was a beast at motivating, developing, and always had good coaches around him when it came to Xs and Os.

Quiet frankly we’ve been overly slacking in maximizing he players we do get.

"...I'm still confident he can get it done"...

means "...he has been a huge disappointment so far and has one last chance to salvage this mess..."

Advertisement
Back