J.J. helping Manny out.

Advertisement
One thing JJ and good coaches do is trust themselves and don’t coach scared or uncertain.

manny was so unsure of himself he wouldn’t create consequences for kids who quit. That tells you a lot.

note, confidence doesn’t mean success - you have to be good, not just strong-willed. But if you coach scared and let others run all over you, you will fail.
Every coach out there that's any good will praise you one minute then the next minute be all over your a$$ when you make a mistake.and one thing they all have one thingin common well two.they don't b.s around and don't keep the trouble makers around meaning the cancers.

JJ's advice would go way beyond the X's and O's. Whether or not the game has changed a lot from the time he was at the U is immaterial. His advice and insight on being a leader of men is much more valuable than the play on the field. JJ's leadership resulted in success on the field.

"...I'm still confident he can get it done"...

means "...he has been a huge disappointment so far and has one last chance to salvage this mess..."
Reading between the lines he may not have had a high opinion of Enos.

Advertisement
People's criticism of JJ's comments are extremely misdirected.

If you think he's going to come out & blast a sitting HC at his school publicly in the media then you simply have no idea how JJ feels about this school & program.

Whatever critiques he would have would be in person directly to the man, going in the media & trashing a coach is bush league & counterproductive for an icon like Jimmy.

If JJ was watching games & said he noticed some things that needed to be changed, then it's pretty clear he gave constructive criticism & the fact he said he wasn't sure how Manny would take means that it wasn't all just nice guy talk.

Agreed

JJ loves THE U but he is part of the coaching click so don't expect him to throw trash. He always said it was the Jimmies and the Joes not the X's and the O's, He was talking about systems and plays and the fact that players matter on the field.

Howard said Miami always had enough talent and ONLY lacked coaching. JJ's time here proves that. He came as good coach but left as a great one. Howard came as great one. The delta was, Howard got one shot at title and won it. JJ lost his first two shots and then learned how to coach big bowl games and won one. Both left tremendous talent for the next man. Both men knew how to handle players.

“The current HC lacks HC’ing and may not recognize some of the things that may be holding him and the program back from achieving more success.”

He doesn’t have to mention anything about him being fired. He can be more direct with being and *******. To be clear, that’s not what I’m asking him to be. Just don’t sell me the BS sandwich about Manny being able to get it done.

Alas, tho we’ve spent too much time on this. I enjoy these dialogues my guy!

What if he truly does believe that Manny can get it done but just needs to get some experience? "There were a couple of things I thought he could have done had he been a head coach longer"

The fact that he is offering to help probably means in his mind its not a lost cause. He wouldn't waste his time if he thought Manny getting fired was the only possible path to success and there was no chance for him to grow into the role.

I'm going to take him at his word and not try to interpret my own opinions into this short interview. YOU may think the current HC is holding the program back and can't get it done (and maybe I do too) but that doesn't mean JJ feels the same way. His words and actions are actually showing the opposite. That Manny is still wet behind the ears but can grow into a good head coach of the U.

Advertisement
Why is this so complicated for some people? JJ is a great coach, and the call wasn’t about X’s & O’s I can almost assure you from the tenor of what I read.

Manny Diaz is seriously lacking in leadership skills and I’ll bet you it had something to do with that.

Bruh, J.J. saw that “got my lunch money took” look and was like “What In The Holy **** is That ****?!?!?”

Gave Manny a call and sent him a copy of Psychocybernetics.

Again. JJ was there for Al Golden too. He supported Richt. I am not getting my hopes up because JJ is talking to our HC behind the scenes.
This is false. He said he didn’t help golden because golden didn’t want help and him and richt didn’t really have a relationship.

Didn’t jj also supposedly help golden
Unless he can force Diaz to do the things he suggests
Diaz is just gonna let it go in one ear and out the other
Golden had one problem and that was his best friend. I think had he dumped that piece of **** he might still be here. JMO.

Golden had one problem and that was his best friend. I think had he dumped that piece of **** he might still be here. JMO.
Maybe not still, but he wouldn't have had the exit that he did.

Although he really did want to be a long term head coach somewhere.

Advertisement
JJ loves THE U but he is part of the coaching click so don't expect him to throw trash. He always said it was the Jimmies and the Joes not the X's and the O's, He was talking about systems and plays and the fact that players matter on the field.

Howard said Miami always had enough talent and ONLY lacked coaching. JJ's time here proves that. He came as good coach but left as a great one. Howard came as great one. The delta was, Howard got one shot at title and won it. JJ lost his first two shots and then learned how to coach big bowl games and won one. Both left tremendous talent for the next man. Both men knew how to handle players.

When did Howard say Miami only lacked coaching? The 'State of Miami' was all about recruiting. He knew the recruiting base had the talent to win big at Miami but lost a lot of talent to other schools. Anyone who thinks Miami had enough elite talent in the 70s is delusional.

This is false. He said he didn’t help golden because golden didn’t want help and him and richt didn’t really have a relationship.

Jimmy Johnson famously spoke to the team and the speech is available on the internet. Al Golden was the head coach at the time. We can argue about coaches being helped and not wanting help. The fact is, JJ has always been available and our coaches either can’t or won’t succeed after the fact. JJ hired Randy Shannon at the Cowboys. I can’t imagine him not being available 13 years ago either.

Advertisement
When did Howard say Miami only lacked coaching? The 'State of Miami' was all about recruiting. He knew the recruiting base had the talent to win big at Miami but lost a lot of talent to other schools. Anyone who thinks Miami had enough elite talent in the 70s is delusional.
When he took the job. He never meant you didn't need talent and he when into hoods others dared not go before then(except maybe OU) to find the talent. Miami always had top talent, not like it did in 80's and 90's but a solid base to compete -- for a quarter or half. Depth was big issue. If talent is all that matters please explain Coker? Butch left him All Pro team and he won one and faded. JJ left Dennis less talent, still unbelievable but merely NFL talent without established QB and he won two. I have no issue with load to the gill talent but Butch is gone and not coming back so we need a Howard level coach, not merely a Dennis -- have we haven't come close to his level since Butch.

Quality of recruiting to beat Clemson and maybe UF? Yes

Quality of recruiting to beat Duke, GT, FIU, and LA Tech? **** no.

Advertisement
Back