Ivins Update 1/29

The problem is Martin and Martell might have to sit till 2020. What happens if Miami wins 8 games next year? You think we will have a top 25 class? Nothing is changing on the defensive staff so why should we expect better results in recruiting next year? Our only hope is Enos puts up points and makes Miami entertaining again.

FSU had/has one after winning 6

Advertisement
I’m ready for the 2019 class to be over and done with. What a mess it was. We got some good players and hopefully 2020 can be a rebound year. If not, Diaz will be fired in 3 years also.
Next class needs to be a recruiting class of at least 90.75 plus on the 247 composite in terms of recruit average ranking. Got to start stacking elite classes. 2017 was a good class, 2018 was really good and we still have nearly all of the 2018 class outside of Ezzard and while the 2019 recruiting class(not including the transfers) is not rated high I absolutely Love the top half of the class for sure. We have a couple on defense who are pure studs in my book like huff, keontra smith, Harvey, Blissett, brooks and then on offense Jeremiah Payton who is a top 55 player in the country. The transfers helps alleviate some of the bad feeling from the 2019 class in terms of their rank because we for sure got some **** studs from the portal to say the least. So with that being said whoever we get we get next week. Manny closed with some heat in the transfer portal already

i wish transfers were included in that they def play a larger role esp with the ones that have 2-3 lyears left
Should look at the bright side. The program is in a state of intentional turmoil. In a matter of weeks, Manny has shaken this program from top to bottom. We have turned ovet, I have read, 29 players or more than a third of the roster. He has plundered the portal.

He has pushed out an entire half of the coaching staff.

Along with this, I'm hoping he has started to remake a mentality and culture of mediocrity. I am hoping he has started to introduce the fire and energy that usually typified our defense into the rest of the program.

Given our history over the last forty years and how we had a certain mentality and approach to the game, I'm not as concerned with the final class rank if our culture and team mentality shows signs of changing.

Advertisement
Coach Manny is maybe 5'9" on a good day in some stacy Adams.

DxYefZMWwAA4gf1
What's that green box for? Extra balloons?

I'm not kidding when I say that's the first time I've seen somebody here say that. There are lots of kids like this...open to Miami, but very likely to go somewhere else. Kids that you have a small shot at stealing but no real expectation of getting.

And then there's CIS where every single recruit is ours to lose. Each time we don't get one we offered too early/late, didn't offer his friend, wanted him to play the wrong position, didn't show him enough love, just plain suck at recruiting. Whatever the case, each time it's the staff that fumbled what should have been a sure thing. Every staff, every time. Same thing.
You forgot the biggest one of all: no bags.

Advertisement
I’m ready for the 2019 class to be over and done with. What a mess it was. We got some good players and hopefully 2020 can be a rebound year. If not, Diaz will be fired in 3 years also.
If Diaz doesn't have a great first year in his first year as head coach, he's doomed to be fired in 3 years? Come on man, no chance.

Like that Manny is going solo.

Since Coker, our HC in-homes have too often sounded like group events. Have always wondered if that was for the kid, or for the Hc. Some guys wouldn’t be comfortable going solo. Manny is. That’s a good sign.

No judgment if he goes elsewhere - I expect that. But if Manny snags him, that will be a sign that he can be a Boss recruiter.

#nowitnesses I'm cool with this.

Gonna add Harrison-Hunte and Emerson. That's it.

Miami will finished ranked about 30th-35th on the composite, and it will probably mark the worst class on paper in 247 history (2011 class was 33rd).

Thankfully, games are not won on paper. Diaz and his staff better hope the evaluations are right and the hit rate is higher than normal, and also that the portal kids turn out to be studs. 2020 becomes a MONUMENTALLY gigantic, program-shaping class. Miami signed the #8 class in the country in 2018, and 22 of the 23 signees are still on the roster. You can absorb something like this, provided you hit on your key spots (looking at you, DTs, QBs, and OL). But 2020 must be an elite haul. You're not beating good teams consistently with back to back classes in the 30s.

It starts 8/31.
Good to see you over here my man. Been wondering where you've been (on tos).

I'm not kidding when I say that's the first time I've seen somebody here say that. There are lots of kids like this...open to Miami, but very likely to go somewhere else. Kids that you have a small shot at stealing but no real expectation of getting.
It’s ironic to point out in the context of your comment, but I meant no judgment re Manny as a recruiter, not re Bogle as a recruit. Now, that said, I am often saying on this board not to judge kids for where they go, so if you haven’t seen that, you have not seen my comments I guess.

And then there's CIS where every single recruit is ours to lose. Each time we don't get one we offered too early/late, didn't offer his friend, wanted him to play the wrong position, didn't show him enough love, just plain suck at recruiting. Whatever the case, each time it's the staff that fumbled what should have been a sure thing. Every staff, every time. Same thing.
See, you’re so overstating the point, you make the opposite argument more appealing.

The reality is plenty of fans here blame everything other than our coaches. It’s the flaky kids, the bags, etc etc etc. If you can bring yourself to admit that our staffs have not been good enough, for a long time, and in amongst the many ways they were not good enough, recruiting was one of their imperfections, then maybe we can get past the bags excuses and just discuss recruiting. Discussing what we did well and what we could have done differently is part and parcel of discussing recruiting. Discussing only things out of our control is uninteresting, imo.

Advertisement
Good to see you over here my man. Been wondering where you've been (on tos).

StateOfMiami if I had to guess. Yeah, slowly but surely migrating here. Some smart dudes over there (yourself included) but it’s getting to be too much of a ****show for me, and that’s saying a lot considering where this conversation is taking place.

You forgot the biggest one of all: no bags.

Not so. "Bags" absolve the staff...after all, what can you do when another school is offering a kid $100k and a car? You have to remember, the fault is always with the staff. In every situation they could have easily landed the recruit, but didn't.

It’s ironic to point out in the context of your comment, but I meant no judgment re Manny as a recruiter, not re Bogle as a recruit. Now, that said, I am often saying on this board not to judge kids for where they go, so if you haven’t seen that, you have not seen my comments I guess.

See, you’re so overstating the point, you make the opposite argument more appealing.

The reality is plenty of fans here blame everything other than our coaches. It’s the flaky kids, the bags, etc etc etc. If you can bring yourself to admit that our staffs have not been good enough, for a long time, and in amongst the many ways they were not good enough, recruiting was one of their imperfections, then maybe we can get past the bags excuses and just discuss recruiting. Discussing what we did well and what we could have done differently is part and parcel of discussing recruiting. Discussing only things out of our control is uninteresting, imo.

And that's what I was commenting on. I think you're right not to judge Manny based on this kid's decision, but I think most porsters will absolutely blame him and say he failed if the kid doesn't come. They'll say he was ours to lose when in fact he's playing around. It looks a lot like he's only talking to Miami because he likes to feel wanted. I may be wrong about that, but he's acting like a lot of kids have in the past and none of them came to Miami.

My comment had nothing to do with blaming kids, I think people too often put the blame on coaches. Like if a kid really wants to go somewhere else, his mom wants him somewhere else, or he sees a chance to grab some cash a good recruiter should be able to talk him out of it. People always blame the coaches like they messed up.

As for your second point, yeah there are lots of reasons a kid doesn't pick Miami, and sometimes it's the staff's fault. I get why you don't want to consider bags and that's fine. My problem is when people want to say "I don't care about bags, you have to get him anyway!" Yeah, that's the job, but it's worth noting that sometimes you just can't do it.

All that said, our new staff needs to recruit better than the last several. Period.

Advertisement
And that's what I was commenting on. I think you're right not to judge Manny based on this kid's decision, but I think most porsters will absolutely blame him and say he failed if the kid doesn't come. They'll say he was ours to lose when in fact he's playing around. It looks a lot like he's only talking to Miami because he likes to feel wanted. I may be wrong about that, but he's acting like a lot of kids have in the past and none of them came to Miami.

My comment had nothing to do with blaming kids, I think people too often put the blame on coaches. Like if a kid really wants to go somewhere else, his mom wants him somewhere else, or he sees a chance to grab some cash a good recruiter should be able to talk him out of it. People always blame the coaches like they messed up.

As for your second point, yeah there are lots of reasons a kid doesn't pick Miami, and sometimes it's the staff's fault. I get why you don't want to consider bags and that's fine. My problem is when people want to say "I don't care about bags, you have to get him anyway!" Yeah, that's the job, but it's worth noting that sometimes you just can't do it.

All that said, our new staff needs to recruit better than the last several. Period.
I agree its not fair to make a big deal out of any one kid’s decision vis a vis a staff member. However, it is fair to discuss trends and view a body of work overallwhen considering recruiting by staff members.

Some folks run too far with the ‘you can’t balme them for so and so’ times ten and it turns into ‘no accountability.’

But nothing new on these boards in 20 years. Both views are exaggerated in posting back and forth. Mine too no doubt.

StateOfMiami if I had to guess. Yeah, slowly but surely migrating here. Some smart dudes over there (yourself included) but it’s getting to be too much of a ****show for me, and that’s saying a lot considering where this conversation is taking place.
Yep, and I agree. A few posters I really like but getting hard to have a discussion over there. This site has come a long way in the past year or two, both with the message boards and the articles.

Advertisement
Back