Ivins Team Notes

Advertisement
Diaz started running the 4-2-5 before he came to miami. At mississippi st. he took and bigger safety and basically was playing him at striker. His first year here in 2016 the plan was to run the 4-2-5 and they had grace playing striker but he got suspended which forced them to play more 4-3. In 2018 mccloud was the starter at striker but obviously he couldn’t play that role.
They didn’t incorporate the “striker” position until 2018. They used the traditional Mike, Will, Sam designation for the first two years. Is there a huge difference between the “Sam” and the “striker”? Not really but I do know that Romeo Finley was on the roster in 2017 but they kept rolling out Mc Cloud to cover slot receivers against spread teams. They did have McCloud listed as a reserve at the striker position the last two seasons but o don’t think he played more than a few snaps there.

They didn’t incorporate the “striker” position until 2018. They used the traditional Mike, Will, Sam designation for the first two years. Is there a huge difference between the “Sam” and the “striker”? Not really but I do know that Romeo Finley was on the roster in 2017 but they kept rolling out Mc Cloud to cover slot receivers against spread teams. They did have McCloud listed as a reserve at the striker position the last two seasons but o don’t think he played more than a few snaps there.
You not understanding . This isn’t something diaz just switched too. The plan was to run the 4-2-5 from the beginning. And mccloud was the starter at striker in 2018 and finley was his backup and he played more than a few snaps. I think he started about 10 games in 2018.

Advertisement
If TVD succeeds, he'll be the third QB in the history of Connecticut to do so. Steve Young (Greenwich) and Dan Orlovsky (Shelton) are the current notables. And, I'm not sure that Steve Young wasn't "transplanted" to the State. My point is: HS football in the Nutmeg State is NOT very good. About as far from South Florida in quality as you can get.

A little trivia quiz for any old timers on the board: Who was the highest rated HS recruit from Connecticut that we ever recruited (at least that I know of)? Clues? He was from New Britain, CT, a starting DB on the 1970 UM squad (and likely in earlier years too), the #16 draft pick of the Oakland Raiders in 1971, and his initials were TS.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Huff is the type of LB we’ve been missing since the Booch era—a fast guy who can cover ground quickly. I’m not all that sold on the big plodding LB model. Get me the 220 pound lean fast guys who can cover ground.
Agree, he's also a nasty hitter, not a "Dive for the legs" type of tackler like our previous starters, I believe him and Brooks will get alot of clean shots this year. We've seen glimpses of Jennings also in the Duke game a couple years ago. Let's just hope we see an intimidating defense this year fellas.

If TVD succeeds, he'll be the third QB in the history of Connecticut to do so. Steve Young (Greenwich) and Dan Orlovsky (Shelton) are the current notables. And, I'm not sure that Steve Young wasn't "transplanted" to the State. My point is: HS football in the Nutmeg State is NOT very good. About as far from South Florida in quality as you can get.

A little trivia quiz for any old timers on the board: Who was the highest rated HS recruit from Connecticut that we ever recruited (at least that I know of)? Clues? He was from New Britain, CT, a starting DB on the 1970 UM squad (and likely in earlier years too), the #16 draft pick of the Oakland Raiders in 1971, and his initials were TS.
another famous Connecticut product (not at QB) was the one and only Aaron Hernandez.

Tony Stawarz wasn't the #16 pick, he was the 16th round pick

Advertisement
He’s an old school Cane. Fast, angry and underrated. That’s the kind of kid we can build a great roster around in our backyard. Not necessarily the Rat Spermstains and Tyson Cumbags and Tyreek Stevensons who are chasing bags and have no love for the hometown. If we can start signing more of the Avery Huff types from down here we’ll be all set.

I love what you are saying here, only issue is bandy and Pinckney were like that when they arrived that administration tho!!! My prayer is they get out of the way

You not understanding . This isn’t something diaz just switched too. The plan was to run the 4-2-5 from the beginning. And mccloud was the starter at striker in 2018 and finley was his backup and he played more than a few snaps. I think he started about 10 games in 2018.

Here are the depth charts for week one 2017 and week one 2018. Notice that in 2017, Zack McCloud is listed as the starter at strong side linebacker and there is no "striker" position listed on the depth chart. Now look at the 2018 depth chart. McCloud is still listed as a starter at strong side linebacker and Romeo Finley and Derrick Smith are listed as 1st team and 2nd team at the striker position.

Maybe Diaz ran a 4-2-5 at LTU and maybe that was his original plan here. Doesn't change the fact that in 2016 and 2017 he did not use a "striker" and only listed players as MLB, WLB SLB.

Attachments

• 2018 depth chart.jpg
    2018 depth chart.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 2017 depthchart.jpg
    2017 depthchart.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't see Perry as a bridge. I think Lashlee's offense fits him. I expect Perry to be the starter his Senior year. You really want to roll out an inexperienced QB against Bama and Mich St in 2021?
Yeah give me 5 year senior vs bama and if tvd or PM are that dude then ease them into the roll Trevor Lawrence style week 4-5 if they show they are that much better than Perry. But up until that point he will have logged the most useful mins on the roster.

Advertisement
Back