Ivins Team Notes

Running a 4-3 in today's game is the equivalent of running the pro style offense.

Yeah we shouldn’t hamstring ourselves trying to cover slots with linebackers.

If we are going to play man, there should be a nickel corner there. Striker should be for zone coverage unless Frierson improves in man coverage.

I still think Frierson should be an actual safety and Carter a striker/linebacker.

Advertisement
There isn't a UM Coordinator who CaneInOrlando misses more than Sonny Lubick.....Without question, the Best DC in UM History....Total Mastermind.....Gary Patterson has a strong semblance (Defense Wise)....For those who think a 4-3 with the right personnel..and right position coaches, couldn't lay waste upon present day spreads...Dont know what to tell ya....
Go watch his Defenses from 89-91...and tell me those 4-3 Defenses couldn't exist today, and I'd laugh...

I like the base 4-3 until teams attack the Sam deep in man coverage.

I just don’t see a way to run man with 3 linebackers without using the safety to help, which makes you vulnerable elsewhere.

I didn’t like how we would leave the Sam on perimeter in weird alignments against the y receiver. I felt we should allow him to attack the receiver and knock him of his route. Bad things happen expecting the Sam/striker to run with those guys.

Your outta your mind...2001 UM could run the same exact Defense against 2019 LSU...
Why not??...

The man 2 would always have safety help over the top. If you let the Sam press and rough up the slot it could call problems.

We would need an adjustment to account for quarterbacks coached to run as soon as coverage turns to run with receivers.

I always thought that sneaking in some Tampa 2 and using a robber safety from our man 2 look would have made the defense even more dangerous and generated even more turnovers.

The man 2 would always have safety help over the top. If you let the Sam press and rough up the slot it could call problems.

We would need an adjustment to account for quarterbacks coached to run as soon as coverage turns to run with receivers.

I always thought that sneaking in some Tampa 2 and using a robber safety from our man 2 look would have made the defense even more dangerous and generated even more turnovers.
True...I remember Antrell in 2003 blitzing from CB like Crazy....but with SeanTay over the Top...it was the norm...

Advertisement
I'll take this Secondary over 2019 Clemsons or LSUs secondary 7 days a week...and I'll have absolutely No problem putting them against any WR corps today....
27067182_1894365150605221_5466215118510195824_n.jpg

IMO higher highs but lower lows. 55 and 56, as seniors, were rarely out of position. Steady. Obviously didn’t make every play, who does? But more often than not they were steady, being in the right spot but probably not a tremendos amount of eye-popping plays. That’ll change next year. I expect the athleticism to increase significantly. But there will be more times where the kids will be fooled and be out of position. Growing pains, but the ceilings of 6 and 9 are higher than 55 and 56.
On the flip side, those seniors didn't look a heck of a lot better their senior years than their freshman years. So, why can't guys replacing them, who have been in the system longer than those guys were when they started right away, be just as good? I like experience at LB, but I love play making ability that learns with reps.

Advertisement
Sounds like Carter at striker is what everyone wants to see. But with Bolden out that leaves Hall, Smith, and maybe Washington to play safety in the spring.

They also have Ragone listed at striker along with Frierson.

There's a lot that's going to unfold but there should be optimism with four projected junior starters (Ivey, Blades, Bolden, Hall) who have all played a lot of ball.

Couch is the forgotten man. He showed a willingness to hit on special teams and is probably much better in coverage than just about anyone. Williams looks the part, too.

Carter, Frierson, Harrell and Keontra are in the mix but can they cover?

Many have alluded to it but I'd like to see a return to a 4-3 base (with Carter, Frierson, Keontra or Huff at SLB) and Couch entering as the nickel back on passing downs.

I know we are thin at corner but I believe Restrepo wouldn’t help us there right now as a frosh. Imo. Our back 7 in a nickel look should be

CB
Blades
Ivey

nickel/striker
Bolden

LB
huff
Mccloud

FS
Hall

SS
Carter or
Smith
Bolden at nickel in obvious passing situations is intriguing. I like Huff at striker and having Brooks play alongside McCloud.

Bolden at nickel in obvious passing situations is intriguing. I like Huff at striker and having Brooks play alongside McCloud.
That’s what I’m thinking. I feel our secondary not being a + unit in man to man last year hurt our d line on passing downs.

I wanna see bolden take away the easy read (slot/te) to give our d line the extra time to create havoc.

This is factoring In improved play by Ivey and the blades we saw last year shutting down the outside.

Advertisement
That’s what I’m thinking. I feel our secondary not being a + unit in man to man last year hurt our d line on passing downs.

I wanna see bolden take away the easy read (slot/te) to give our d line the extra time to create havoc.

This is factoring In improved play by Ivey and the blades we saw last year shutting down the outside.
I just wanna see us be more multiple in our fornations and athletic in the back 7 overall. We got better stopping the run but lacked a lot of athleticism & experience that we should have more of now. Interested to see how this D plays out.

No, it's a hybird position. If it's a safety then why dont they call it that. I dont think you have a clue of whats going on
A hybrid safety. Frierson isn’t a LB. They were recruiting branch at striker and that dude is 175 and **** sho ain’t no LB

Advertisement
A hybrid safety. Frierson isn’t a LB. They were recruiting branch at striker and that dude is 175 and **** sho ain’t no LB

Yeah which is basically a safety playing the LB position, so essentially it's a more athletic LB

Advertisement
Back