Ivins said Diaz now saying 25 is the minimum

The original cane too

Go blow yourself.

This board is full of idiots who have only been looking up the number of NSD signees, and then falsely claiming that we have 5 countbacks for the past 10 years.

It isn't true.

We are out of countbacks.

Advertisement
lol so the dudes vehemently defending that we could only take 25 were completely wrong, and everyone saying we had a couple to backcount were correct.

- Anyone who is being admitted to Miami for the first time and accepts/Signs a scholarship offer counts as an Initial Counter.
- Anyone who enrolls in January can be back counted until the 25 IC limit is reached for the previous year. Everyone else counts for the current year 25 IC limit.

We are not wrong. We are right.

The number is 25 and can ONLY increase via mid-year graduate replacement exception, and NOT through countbacks.

In a few weeks, go and grab a December graduation program, look up the names, and then tell me how many football players are graduating and leaving the team. Then you'll know the final number.

The number is 25 and can ONLY increase via mid-year graduate replacement exception, and NOT through countbacks.

In a few weeks, go and grab a December graduation program, look up the names, and then tell me how many football players are graduating and leaving the team. Then you'll know the final number.

It’s guys graduating / asked to leave that’s freeing up spots. So it could be a couple more spots if I were guessing.

Go blow yourself.

This board is full of idiots who have only been looking up the number of NSD signees, and then falsely claiming that we have 5 countbacks for the past 10 years.

It isn't true.

I actually thought we might have one left (for a total of 26) and have said so for a minute, but I hedged a bit because it's hard to keep that count straight. 100% agree with your general sentiment, though.

We have clowns saying it's 30, people thinking transfers don't count as an IC, dude's who have no idea that there is a midyear replacement rule, people with no idea what the rules for taking grad transfers or giving scholarships to walk-ons look like... but these seem to be some of the loudest individuals when it comes to class size.

Advertisement
Go blow yourself.

It isn't true.

Except you’re wrong and I pointed that out in the other thread, we have one count back for this year unless our coaches completely screwed up last class. 2018’s class was only 23 signees, last year was 26 with transfers, should have counted two of those for the previous year as I know we had at least a couple of the transfers enroll in dec. That should open up one extra spot this year.

It’s guys graduating / asked to leave that’s freeing up spots. So it could be a couple more spots if I were guessing.

No, it's not. "Asked to leave" only frees up spots on the 85-man roster. We are STILL limited to signing 25 guys under the Initial Counter rules. We can go PAST 25 if we are (a) at the 85 scholarship number (and we are because we give scholarships to walk-ons, same as 95% of the other teams), and (b) we have undergrad players who graduate in December and leave the team. Under THOSE SPECIFICS we can "replace" an existing Initial Counter with a mid-year signee, without impacting the 25 number.

So, once again, if we have any UNDERGRADS who graduate in December (grad students don't count) and then they leave the team, then we can "replace" them with a January enrollee without counting against the 25 number.

People need to read the rules, and not just go on Rivals to look at Signing Classes and count to 18 (or whatever the number is in any given year). Transfers count. Late signees count. We have 25 ICs we can enroll. Plus December graduation replacements.

That is all.

Except you’re wrong and I pointed that out in the other thread, we have one count back for this year unless our coaches completely screwed up last class. 2018’s class was only 23 signees, last year was 26 with transfers, should have counted two of those for the previous year as I know we had at least a couple of the transfers enroll in dec. That should open up one extra spot this year.

Again, you use the word "signees". Except that's wrong. It's enrollees. Always has been under the IC rules.

25, plus December grads.

From Miami Herald - interview with Diaz today.

"Teams are only allowed to add 25 players in each recruiting class, but early enrollments make the number a bit more complicated. Players who enroll early can be counted either to their current class or the prior one, in certain situations.

"The Hurricanes are still expecting a bit more attrition and have a few more positions spots are being held for — a couple wide receivers, another linebacker, an offensive lineman, probably two more defensive backs, and potentially a running back and tight end — which could mean a slight numbers crunch as the early signing period approaches next month."

A big recruiting class would help Miami get closer to one other important number: 85. The desire to get close to the maximum scholarship number, Diaz said, was part of the impetus for leaning so heavily on the transfer portal ahead of this season. The Hurricanes only had seven returning seniors before they went out and landed some transfers, so he needed to land some older players rather than loading up strictly on freshmen. With the roster balanced better, Miami can take a good-sized class once again this recruiting cycle."

“It’s going to be hard to get to 85, but we’re going to get to whatever number we’re allowed to get to and try to get as close as we can,” Diaz said. “Certainly, we obviously have a lot of young guys on the team that we can continue to develop to that nucleus and add a really good recruiting class behind it.”

"

Advertisement

"Teams are only allowed to add 25 players in each recruiting class, but early enrollments make the number a bit more complicated. Players who enroll early can be counted either to their current class or the prior one, in certain situations.

"The Hurricanes are still expecting a bit more attrition and have a few more positions spots are being held for — a couple wide receivers, another linebacker, an offensive lineman, probably two more defensive backs, and potentially a running back and tight end — which could mean a slight numbers crunch as the early signing period approaches next month."

A big recruiting class would help Miami get closer to one other important number: 85. The desire to get close to the maximum scholarship number, Diaz said, was part of the impetus for leaning so heavily on the transfer portal ahead of this season. The Hurricanes only had seven returning seniors before they went out and landed some transfers, so he needed to land some older players rather than loading up strictly on freshmen. With the roster balanced better, Miami can take a good-sized class once again this recruiting cycle."

“It’s going to be hard to get to 85, but we’re going to get to whatever number we’re allowed to get to and try to get as close as we can,” Diaz said. “Certainly, we obviously have a lot of young guys on the team that we can continue to develop to that nucleus and add a really good recruiting class behind it.”

"

"in certain situations" = Mid-year graduation replacement exception

"a bit more attrition" = meaningless comment, as "a bit more attrition" doesn't change the IC rules

No, it's not. "Asked to leave" only frees up spots on the 85-man roster. We are STILL limited to signing 25 guys under the Initial Counter rules. We can go PAST 25 if we are (a) at the 85 scholarship number (and we are because we give scholarships to walk-ons, same as 95% of the other teams), and (b) we have undergrad players who graduate in December and leave the team. Under THOSE SPECIFICS we can "replace" an existing Initial Counter with a mid-year signee, without impacting the 25 number.

So, once again, if we have any UNDERGRADS who graduate in December (grad students don't count) and then they leave the team, then we can "replace" them with a January enrollee without counting against the 25 number.

People need to read the rules, and not just go on Rivals to look at Signing Classes and count to 18 (or whatever the number is in any given year). Transfers count. Late signees count. We have 25 ICs we can enroll. Plus December graduation replacements.

That is all.

Pretty sure I heard on a podcast if you asked a guy to leave that had graduated in dec but was say a rs jr that would be a spot that could be used on a transfer or feb signing.

Thats the only way to manipulate the 25. Or maybe I just heard wrong. I tend to lose focus at times.

"in certain situations" = Mid-year graduation replacement exception

"a bit more attrition" = meaningless comment, as "a bit more attrition" doesn't change the IC rules
Hopefully some of the "dead weight" decides to leave. The compliance department knows exactly the situation to conform to NCAA Rules.

The first part of the first sentence matters. A school can only count-back to a maximum of 25 ICs per class (and that includes transfers, grad transfers, etc...). So, for example, if the 2019 class was full at 25 ICs, you can't count-back any EEs in the 2020 class.

Advertisement
Pretty sure I heard on a podcast if you asked a guy to leave that had graduated in dec but was say a rs jr that would be a spot that could be used on a transfer or feb signing.

Thats the only way to manipulate the 25. Or maybe I just heard wrong. I tend to lose focus at times.

You are correct, sir.

Outside of the stink of "asking a kid to leave", the intent of the mid-year replacement rule is to allow a kid who graduates (and usually that means he has used up all of his eligibility or else is entering the draft, though it could obviously be a guy who has never cracked the starting lineup too) and is leaving school to not clog up an IC spot for the entire year.

So if a kid goes to school for a half-year, but then leaves school AND the team in December, you can bring in a "replacement" in January without ******** up your numbers. A) the school is not punished for a kid doing the right thing, i.e., graduating; and B) you incentivize the "doing of the right thing" for kids to graduate. Yes, it might be abused occasionally, like when a non-starter graduates early and is "asked" to leave.

Advertisement

You're can't say that we can only sign 25, then also say that you are right if we are able to sign more than 25.
Either you are saying we won't be able to sign more than 25, or you aren't saying ****. Simple as that. It doesn't matter what terminology you want to use for it, we CAN sign more than 25.

You are correct, sir.

Outside of the stink of "asking a kid to leave", the intent of the mid-year replacement rule is to allow a kid who graduates (and usually that means he has used up all of his eligibility or else is entering the draft, though it could obviously be a guy who has never cracked the starting lineup too) and is leaving school to not clog up an IC spot for the entire year.

So if a kid goes to school for a half-year, but then leaves school AND the team in December, you can bring in a "replacement" in January without ******** up your numbers. A) the school is not punished for a kid doing the right thing, i.e., graduating; and B) you incentivize the "doing of the right thing" for kids to graduate. Yes, it might be abused occasionally, like when a non-starter graduates early and is "asked" to leave.

That’s what I meant by “graduating / asked to leave”.

Thats what happens , you tell them their services wont be needed for the their last year eligibility.

Hopefully they bring Irvin back , I’d like to have him one more year.

We are at 73-75 right now. We have 1-3 counters from 2019. We likely will have some additional December departures allowing us to sign 12 or more EEs and 25 for 2020 plus 1-3 for 2019. So long as we sign 1-3 kids in the early period who enroll early, we can sign more than 25. The END!

Advertisement
Back