Ivins: Now what on CB's

Pull your head out of the sand.

Due to Covid, the nearly-year-long-dead-period, and other issues, the bag schools were not ponying up money this year (at least in quantities that they used to pay).

In a cash-poor world, Miami actually had a shot with Marshall. It's not about "stuck" or "not stuck", it was about "paid" or "not paid".

But when the Gaytors suddenly woke up and realized they were going 0-5 at Palmetto, the money floodgates opened.

Keep in mind, Alabama didn't offer what they normally offer. They expected Marshall to pick Alabama on the cheap because Saban. They did not anticipate that Florida would elevate the price of poker.

And maybe it's too late to go back in time on the money issue. But on the secrecy issue, yes, it would be nice to go into a stealth/assassin mode in order to avoid the Palmetto HC/Gaytor coach criminal conspiracy from having time to organize.

You may be right and i’ve heard the same story. The bottom line is that we have zero corners committed and with all the DBS in south florida that went to the big ten that’s pathetic

Advertisement
You may be right and i’ve heard the same story. The bottom line is that we have zero corners committed and with all the DBS in south florida that went to the big ten that’s pathetic

And those are fair points.

If we lose Markevious Brown due to poor Rumph recruiting (and not some insane desire to live in a ****ty little town that reminds Brown of Pahokee), then I have no problems with Rumph being replaced.

But the ONE THING that doesn't help Miami recruiting right now is Miami fans freaking-the-fvck out about every little development. I would love for Burns to be a part of this class, but let's not pretend that losing him is the same kind of game-changer as losing a 5-star verbal (from the standpoint of perception and momentum, since I have no idea whether Burns will become a first-rounder or a JAG).

We can't do much TODAY. Let's go out and win the next 4 games, and even if we want to debate if 10 wins is "fools gold", let's allow the perception of improvement to sell Miami as a great destination. Let's stack another 25 chips and then keep getting better year-by-year. If Rumph needs to go, if the DC needs to go, we can get that ****e done first week of December.

But there is no need to wreck a perfectly decent season with rumors and in-fighting and arguing with the parents of recruits. This is the kind of bullsh!te that has made Miami Miami over the past 15 years. We need people to learn self-control, to keep family business in the family, and to be surgically brutal when we need to be. I remember when we fired Bill Miller and hired Greg Schiano, and it was certainly a big step forward.

Let's just try to be positive for four freakin' weeks. Focus on the good. Let's stop giving our rivals ammunition to fire at us. Does anyone think that the Gaytor fans aren't laughing at threads like this?

If Manny decides to change some coaches in December, I'm on board.

If we have to flip guys, take transfers, or fight for JuCos to make our numbers, let's do it.

I'm sick of losing. Let's stop moping about the past, stop fighting with recruits' moms, and stop complaining about Rumph as if he is the majority of Miami's problems.

“Miami is expected to keep expanding it's cornerback board and it wouldn't be surprising to see a new offer or two go out.”

This tidbit is all we’ve heard since day 1 of this staff on this particular position. Here were the excuses:

2016: Staff just got here, chill
2017: Class of 2018 is loaded, including two guys Rumph coached directly
2018: ****; SEC bags got to those boys. Nothing Rumph could do
2019: Ayye! Put some respect on Rumph’s name! Huge flip from LSU in Christian Williams
2020: But Rumph at least closed w Dunson after that 2019 debacle. Rumph da Gawd.

L-O-L. More things change, the more they stay the same. In all scenarios, we were looking to “expand” our boards, and looking for a new offer or two. And ppl wonder y our CB room is a f’ing mess.

Advertisement
I would love if a reporter asked Manny flat out what the plan is for CB recruiting. The Boston media can be absurd, but for the most part they at least ask the questions fans want answered. Instead we will just get Susan asking about a tackle a player made and how it made them feel.
And Bill farts and snorts at them...

The Boston Media is absolutely absurd, if you listen to sports talk radio the past 10 years you'd think the Patriots were a perennial bottom dweller between the hot takes and delusional callers. I suppose it's like that everywhere but given the amount of success the city has seen recently its insane to reflect on the lack of perspective out there
The callers are pure comedy.

“Miami is expected to keep expanding it's cornerback board and it wouldn't be surprising to see a new offer or two go out.”

This tidbit is all we’ve heard since day 1 of this staff on this particular position. Here were the excuses:

2019: Ayye! Put some respect on Rumph’s name! Huge flip from LSU in Christian Williams
2020: But Rumph at least closed w Dunson after that 2019 debacle. Rumph da Gawd.

L-O-L. More things change, the more they stay the same. In all scenarios, we were looking to “expand” our boards, and looking for a new offer or two. And ppl wonder y our CB room is a f’ing mess.

a1KD0A6_460s.jpg

I still cant believe we still have people capping for this dude. I fully blame Manny for not getting rid of him but it looked like his main target fell through.

Advertisement
Yeah this Marshall stuff makes me laugh. If he was bought, then what makes anyone think he would have committed here and stuck? This recruiting of corner is pathetic. If you have 5 on the roster, and you sign burns and take a transfer at lest you have something. Having 5 is a joke. They better know what they are doing. That list Ivins mentioned is hilarious.
Khalil Anderson is a solid CB prospect. If you grab him and pair with a Grad Transfer we will be in decent shape.

Advertisement

Who are you mocking? Who tf refers to Rump as “Rumph da Gawd”? Literally nobody. He’s a joke and he needs to go and I think almost any Miami fan with a clue can see that. Even the most avid sunshine pumpers.
I suspect that rumph will be gone at seasons end and we will hit the portal hard, and there will also be names that we don’t know about yet. Obviously that’s not the position we want to be in, but I highly doubt that come February we’ll be sitting here with our ****s on our hand with nobody on board.

Who are you mocking? Who tf refers to Rump as “Rumph da Gawd”? Literally nobody. He’s a joke and he needs to go and I think almost any Miami fan with a clue can see that. Even the most avid sunshine pumpers.
I suspect that rumph will be gone at seasons end and we will hit the portal hard, and there will also be names that we don’t know about yet. Obviously that’s not the position we want to be in, but I highly doubt that come February we’ll be sitting here with our ****s on our hand with nobody on board.
Uhhhh, bruh. There’s A LOT of Rumph supporters on here that I’ve personally gone back & forth w. Why do u think @gogeta4 made his comment. Where tf have u been? Lol.

Advertisement
They only make excuses for him b/c he’s an alum and has ties to the ‘01 squad, trust me. If he was from Ball St, they would’ve been turned on him.

Uhhhh, no.

For this "awful recruiting", the play has not been bad. LBs are worse.

I'm not trying to completely separate recruiting from coaching. But there are other factor$$$$ in play in CB (and WR) recruiting in SoFla. Rumph has been a better position coach than many others on our staff.

That doesn't mean he gets lifetime tenure, and you are seriously overstating the degree to which ANYONE on this board praises and/or defends Rumph.

I'm fine with him being replaced. But he is not Miami's biggest problem.

Insert year and that’s your Miami cb recruiting update for November lol.
Since this staff came on board we've been scrambling for a CB to finish the class late.

2017 it was Jhavonte Dean after losing Henderson, 2018 it was nobody after losing Jobe and missing out on the Heritage CBs, 2019 it was Christian Williams late who's since bounced and 2020 it was Dunson.

The problem is, each class we needed one guy to finish the class off. Now we're looking for 2-3 CBs to even have a class. This has reached an all-time low.

Advertisement
Back