Its time to start the rebuild...

In the 22 seasons played this century, we've successfully recruited 20 young men who played their HS ball in Florida. Less than one a year on average.

Under Coach L (2012-21), the number is 11 recruits in 11 seasons:

Kenny Kadji, Amp Lawrence, Zach Johnson, Dewan Huell, Keith Stone, Harlond Beverly, Angel Rodriguez, Tonye Jekiri, DeAndre Burnett, Joe Thomas, and Shane Larkin.

Frank Haith (2004-11) brought in 6 local kids in 7 years:

Adrian Thomas, Dwayne Collins, Brian Asbury, Eddie Rios, Keaton Copeland, and Denis Clemente

Under Perry Clark (2000-03), the numbers are 3 kids in 4 years:

Ishmael N'diaye, Guillermo Diaz, and Marcus Barnes

When I get some time, I'll add Leonard Hamilton's record to this mix. Anyone expecting it to be much different?
I don’t think this is necessarily fair for the older coaches. High school basketball in Florida, and South Florida in particular, has grown exponentially in quality, focus, and quantity of top recruits in the last decade.

Advertisement
All I know is Coach L is crying all over the Herald reminiscing about the good ole days and how every kid now thinks he has an NBA future. He needs to GTFO yesterday.
I heard that. He also complained about how kids have no patience anymore and think the “grass is always greener” somewhere else. Funny he ******* about the portal now that it’s working against us. Without transfers, he would’ve never had the success he had the first 7 years at miami. Most of his best players were transfers (Larkin, kadji, Sheldon Mac, angel just to name a few).

Blake James is the laziest, most incompetent AD in the country. This program is crumbling and he isn't even thinking of making a change.

I could punch him in his stupid face.
1616717606968.jpeg

In the 22 seasons played this century, we've successfully recruited 20 young men who played their HS ball in Florida. Less than one a year on average.

Under Coach L (2012-21), the number is 11 recruits in 11 seasons:

Kenny Kadji, Amp Lawrence, Zach Johnson, Dewan Huell, Keith Stone, Harlond Beverly, Angel Rodriguez, Tonye Jekiri, DeAndre Burnett, Joe Thomas, and Shane Larkin.

Frank Haith (2004-11) brought in 6 local kids in 7 years:

Adrian Thomas, Dwayne Collins, Brian Asbury, Eddie Rios, Keaton Copeland, and Denis Clemente

Under Perry Clark (2000-03), the numbers are 3 kids in 4 years:

Ishmael N'diaye, Guillermo Diaz, and Marcus Barnes

When I get some time, I'll add Leonard Hamilton's record to this mix. Anyone expecting it to be much different?
Problem is almost half of Larranaga's in-state guys have come via the transfer route, which means to me that someone isn't doing their due diligence or isn't making Florida a priority at the high school level. Angel, Zach, and Larkin were not offered by Miami coming out of HS. Not sure if Keith or Kadji were offered out of HS, but they came to Miami after transferring in from Florida. DeAndre wasn't recruited by Miami until he went up the road for prep school and came back with offers from other P5 programs. The reason Coach L's predecessors weren't landing local recruits back in the day wasn't for a lack of trying. Coach L and staff pretty much go out of their way NOT to recruit here. Big difference.

And truth be told Tonye fell on his lap. They offered Tonye the summer of his senior year. Thankfully, his high school's president/owner is a big UM supporter and helped convince Tonye that Miami was the place to be.

FSU has found success last few years behind the play of in-state players. Even Mike White at Florida has found success behind 2 in-state players (Tre Mann and Colin Castleton) as well. Miami needs to get with the times.

GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Problem is almost half of Larranaga's in-state guys have come via the transfer route, which means to me that someone isn't doing their due diligence or isn't making Florida a priority at the high school level. Angel, Zach, and Larkin were not offered by Miami coming out of HS. Not sure if Keith or Kadji were offered out of HS, but they came to Miami after transferring in from Florida. DeAndre wasn't recruited by Miami until he went up the road for prep school and came back with offers from other P5 programs. The reason Coach L's predecessors weren't landing local recruits back in the day wasn't for a lack of trying. Coach L and staff pretty much go out of their way NOT to recruit here. Big difference.

And truth be told Tonye fell on his lap. They offered Tonye the summer of his senior year. Thankfully, his high school's president/owner is a big UM supporter and helped convince Tonye that Miami was the place to be.

FSU has found success last few years behind the play of in-state players. Even Mike White at Florida has found success behind 2 in-state players (Tre Mann and Colin Castleton) as well. Miami needs to get with the times.

GO CANES!!!

Over half. Harlond Beverly is a Detroit kid. Joe Thomas was a grad transfer as well.
Lawrence, Huell, Jekiri and Burnett who's Dalvin Cook's brother and was recruited the same year. That's 4 out of 10 from HS, which is abysmal.

Over half. Harlond Beverly is a Detroit kid. Joe Thomas was a grad transfer as well.
Lawrence, Huell, Jekiri and Burnett who's Dalvin Cook's brother and was recruited the same year. That's 4 out of 10 from HS, which is abysmal.
The last Florida recruit we signed was Huell in the 2016 class. 5 years ago!

Truly insane and should be a fireable offense on its own. The state of Florida is now loaded with hoops talent and we are completely neglecting it. Shame on L.

Still, Beverly went to school in Florida at Montverde so ... you have to count him as an in-state recruit. Think you also have to count the xfers who went to, and graduated from, Florida high schools.

Advertisement
King of Allapattah pointed out that the quantity and quality of Florida HS players has dramatically improved over what it once was.

I still wanted to see who Leonard Hamilton recruited while at UM back in the 90s. Turns out that in Leonard's 10 years as UM's Head Coach, he recruited 10 in-state high school players. The numbers are no better than for any of our other coaches in the last 31 seasons, but- for those of you old enough to have followed UM in the 90s - think you'll agree that the quality was pretty darn good.

Hamilton Recruits: James Jones, Tim James, Dwayne Wimbley, Lucas Barnes, Steve Rich, Steve Edwards, Trevor Burton, Ochiel Swaby, Pat Lawrence and Brad Timpf. All So Fla kids except Lawrence who was from the Tampa area.

Still, Beverly went to school in Florida at Montverde so ... you have to count him as an in-state recruit. Think you also have to count the xfers who went to, and graduated from, Florida high schools.
Montverde is a basketball factory like IMG is for football. Beverly was only there for his senior season. His first 3 years were at Detroit schools.

Like @Gables Canes said, the last homegrown state of Florida recruit that we signed out of high school was Dewan Huell in the 2016 class.
You can't just rely on Florida transfers who enter the portal for whatever reason looking to come back home.

Little did we know then but now we can say, this was the peak of the Coach L era.
Since 2017, it has all gone downhill.

Advertisement
He was awful that year from a coaching standpoint. That was year I knew the game had passed him by.
The fact that we had 2 NBA players on that roster and a borderline 3rd and we were just a mere 7th seed who lost in the first round is all you need to know.

Coach L was previously known for getting the most of his teams. That season started a trend of underachievement. Any of the slurpers on here who chock up that season to a "lucky" game winning shot by Loyala are fooling themselves.

Advertisement
Back