It's time to put your money where your mouth is....

The IRS doesn't care one whit about where your money comes as long as you pay your taxes.

At the same time, if the IRS cared about messing with CFB, it would have already. We all know there's payments getting made that don't see the light of the Treasury.
They're also lazy. It's easier to get people for making false statements to the IRS than it is to get them for avoiding taxes by dropping a pile of cash.

Also, if we have a recruit driving a Ferrari, he'll get reported, but if a Bama guy is doing the same, nobody will ever know.

Advertisement
Bama to 5 star CB from SoFla.

"You come to Bama and we'll have 100 people pay you $100 a pop to sign a napkin......every week! The local car dealership will provide a Charger when you do one commercial for them. If you do two 30 sec commercials they will provide one to your mom as well. How much is UM going to offer?"

They're also lazy. It's easier to get people for making false statements to the IRS than it is to get them for avoiding taxes by dropping a pile of cash.

Also, if we have a recruit driving a Ferrari, he'll get reported, but if a Bama guy is doing the same, nobody will ever know.
I'm not sure I agree. Unless you don't file a return, you're making a false statement via omission as much as misstatement.

Maybe you mean tracking down omissions is harder than misstatements. I'm sure that's generally true.

But I'm also not sure why there would need to be any misstatements in a NIL environment. It's all easily trackable. Give the kids their 1099 and move on.

As for loose lips sink ships, yeah. The SEC is better than Miami at keeping mouths shut. But google maps could show you the ferraris in the Alabama parking lot. I don't think the issue is the NCAA paying too little attention to them. UM's problem has been showing up in paper trails and depositions.

"You come to Bama and we'll have 100 people pay you $100 a pop to sign a napkin......every week! The local car dealership will provide a Charger when you do one commercial for them. If you do two 30 sec commercials they will provide one to your mom as well. How much is UM going to offer?"
The flaw in this thinking is it assumes there's an incremental ability in the Alabama booster base to up spending without limit. I don't know how to square that with the assumption they're already spending a fortune.

Miami can close the gap, and focus on its local kids. If Alabama over-pays for Miami kids, it'll cost it elsewhere.

I'm not sure I agree. Unless you don't file a return, you're making a false statement via omission as much as misstatement.

Maybe you mean tracking down omissions is harder than misstatements. I'm sure that's generally true.

But I'm also not sure why there would need to be any misstatements in a NIL environment. It's all easily trackable. Give the kids their 1099 and move on.

As for loose lips sink ships, yeah. The SEC is better than Miami at keeping mouths shut. But google maps could show you the ferraris in the Alabama parking lot. I don't think the issue is the NCAA paying too little attention to them. UM's problem has been showing up in paper trails and depositions.
I'm saying a guy with a bag of cash is easier to keep hidden than a guy who got $5000 for autographs and claimed he only got $50. The IRS has to look for the first guy, the second is trying to slide by them.

If the NIL money gets too much too fast, that will be a red flag. We'll have to see how much attention it gets and who really cares. The NCAA really doesn't.

Advertisement

Do you think that Bama isn't giving kids 6 figures and free cars now? They've been doing this for years. Making it legal for everyone else won't change things. Paying kids is just business as usual for them.

I've long maintained that NIL benefits bigger media markets like Miami and national brands. Especially for local legends and star skill position players. It's simple population and median household income counting.

Juju (USC) - maybe the most successful athlete/internet crossover. Didn't start til he was in the league afaik though
Michael Pittman Jr (USC) - 357K youtube subscribers
Chase Claypool (ND/national fanbase) - 227K subs
Jake Garcia (LA) - had a popular YT account similar to Pittman but I think it was deleted when he split with his GF

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see $EC athletes with that type of reach. I don't think the bag school disciplinarians would even allow it. Baga and Georgia players are neutered from having any personality or individualism. I saw more interview articles with Jaelan Phillips than Trevor Lawrence this year.

If you're not familiar with Youtube and Twitch you can monetize subs/views with ad revenue but also receive donations, superchats/bits (chat donations), gifted subs, etc. Good luck to the NCAA if they think they can moderate that stuff. So if you want to donate to your favorite athlete just do it on Twitch or Youtube.

5 star CB from Florida to Bama:
"****... my cousin didn't have to sign no napkins or spent all that time doing commercials for the cash and the cars HE used to get"

Advertisement
I still don’t see how this levels the playing field..

SEC teams like Bama. uGA. LSU etc already have boosters giving these kids tens of thousands of dollars.What’ to stop a booster from giving a 5 star recruit 10 grand for an autograph or go out and buy say 500 jerseys ...The schools that do it now will just do it then only it will be able to be above board...

just don’t see how this will be regulated...

Not sure that’s the case. How many people in Miami would recognize Deriq King walking down the street? His likeness doesn’t mean anything to most people within the city whereas the majority of a college town probably recognizes a 2nd string LBer walking down the street.

There’s exponentially more businesses, and marketing dollars, in the tri county. The U is a national brand, there will be money to be made.

Advertisement
Somebody Like D. King would be a great person to represent a company, and I believe he would be very appealing to businesses.

Advertisement

About half of that

They’re supposed to be able to prove some kind of evidence that it was earned. Like a YouTube channel, paid advertisement, sponsorship, autograph, etc

But who knows. If they can just post their cashapp then Miami football will be over
So you saying we got a lot of broke fans,Alumni & boosters...

Advertisement
Back