Its only November

Miami is coming off of a 5-7 season and no one outside of us cane fans could name the last two bowl wins for Miami and people don't understand why they cant get the best of the best to come here? Start winning and they will come. This is a good class. Was never going to be a great class. Miami is no where close to a Georgia or bama where they can get 20 four and five stars combined every class. For people to say the second best class in the acc is bad is just ridiculous.

Advertisement
Its all about filling holes with the portal. Only takes a few studs at key positions to make a huge difference. Plus you are not getting a true freshman that needs to develop.

8 outside the top 700 might be the most disturbing thing Ive read on CIS.
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad
But wait it gets better, 4 of those guys are outside the top 1000 when we only had 1 last year and he was from the other side of the world

Recruit rankings is inexact science. Some of our lowest commits are OL and a kicker. Borregalas was not top 1500 in his class and anez cooper wasn't top 1000 in his class. Pretty sure we love having them as hurricanes. If Miami can add a good corner and dt this is a good class.
FYI I excluded this year’s kicker and last year’s punter from the number of commits outside of top 700 and top 1000.

Advertisement
You need to land top 250 players to win a title.
This is really all that matters. Everyone loved last year’s class, right? Because we currently have more top 100s committed than last year and are just a few off pace for matching the number of top 250. I don’t think anyone would be completely shocked if we wound up with 5 more top 250 guys in the class.

But even if we wound up with just the current commits, we’re clearly stacking more top talent than in recent years. And I know this thread has now turned to worrying about the guys outside the top 1000, but at the end of the day it’s about stacking the top tier. Those are the teams that win.

The 3 years for Mario are also pretty similar to his 2019-2021 classes at Oregon, and we see how those guys are doing. And that would really be a better comp for the 3 year run after next recruiting class, instead of including the one he had to scrap together after Diaz left us with nothing.

1698931685684.jpeg

1698932450347.jpeg

Advertisement
This is really all that matters. Everyone loved last year’s class, right? Because we currently have more top 100s committed than last year and are just a few off pace for matching the number of top 250. I don’t think anyone would be completely shocked if we wound up with 5 more top 250 guys in the class.

But even if we wound up with just the current commits, we’re clearly stacking more top talent than in recent years. And I know this thread has now turned to worrying about the guys outside the top 1000, but at the end of the day it’s about stacking the top tier. Those are the teams that win.

The 3 years for Mario are also pretty similar to his 2019-2021 classes at Oregon, and we see how those guys are doing. And that would really be a better comp for the 3 year run after next recruiting class, instead of including the one he had to scrap together after Diaz left us with nothing.

View attachment 263896

View attachment 263899

Nice comparative. Really shows how stark it got under Manuela. Also shows what a nice W run can do for recruiting class (Richt 2018). Hope we close the season strong and pick up some flips.

Mario gets paid to stack top classes, not top 15 classes. No excuses.

Finish in the top 7-10 or the class is a let down for an “elite” recruiter.

Raid the portal for difference makers. Keon Coleman, not players that can’t see the field.

What’s the confusion?
This is what I don’t with the Mario slurpers. He wasn’t paid $80m to finish 11-15 - UM with NIL can do that most years with most coaches who have a pulse. He’s paid to finish top 10 every season. Especially since he’s likely going to have a 3 game win improvement maybe 4.

QB - F
RB - A-
WR - B+
TE - C
OL - C+
DE - B
DT - D (an F if Jones flips)
LB - C
DB - D
Safety - B+
Idk how you can give this OL class a C+. If we had a bunch of 6'2 280lb OL like we used to recruit, then okay I get it. But we have size, athleticism, and upside with a lot of these guys. You're strictly looking at stars in one of the position groups that has such high variance when it comes to star ratings.

There was some discussion on Lew in the Kevin Riley thread regarding Auburn recruiting. So looked him and noticed he got his first start at center last week and was Freshman of the Week.

Freshman of the Week - Connor Lew (C) Auburn

• Played every snap in his first career start at center.
  • Helped pave the way for 416 total yards, Auburn's most in a SEC game Oct. 29, 2022.
  • Helped Auburn's offensive line keep a clean pocket - allowing zero sacks and only one QB hurry - while allowing Payton Thorne to pass for a SEC-best 230 yards and 3 TDs

Point being is that this was someone Mario and Mirabal got on early and wasn't really a hotly contested recruit. But the eval was spot on with this kid in addition to a few other lesser know OL recruits (Anez Cooper and Matthew McCoy). OL evals over stars all day.

Now if you can get a Mauigoa in every class, obviously you do it. But I'm not going to stress about OL recruiting, especially with the portal being around and the OL pedigree our staff has. The other position groups though? Yeah, definitely got some worries there.

Idk how you can give this OL class a C+. If we had a bunch of 6'2 280lb OL like we used to recruit, then okay I get it. But we have size, athleticism, and upside with a lot of these guys. You're strictly looking at stars in one of the position groups that has such high variance when it comes to star ratings.

There was some discussion on Lew in the Kevin Riley thread regarding Auburn recruiting. So looked him and noticed he got his first start at center last week and was Freshman of the Week.

• Helped pave the way for 416 total yards, Auburn's most in a SEC game Oct. 29, 2022.
  • Helped Auburn's offensive line keep a clean pocket - allowing zero sacks and only one QB hurry - while allowing Payton Thorne to pass for a SEC-best 230 yards and 3 TDs

Point being is that this was someone Mario and Mirabal got on early and wasn't really a hotly contested recruit. But the eval was spot on with this kid in addition to a few other lesser know OL recruits (Anez Cooper and Matthew McCoy). OL evals over stars all day.

Now if you can get a Mauigoa in every class, obviously you do it. But I'm not going to stress about OL recruiting, especially with the portal being around and the OL pedigree our staff has. The other position groups though? Yeah, definitely got some worries there.
That’s so annoying about Lew lmao

Advertisement

View attachment 263896

View attachment 263899
I got bad news about the 19-21 classes at oregon brotha

Imma take heat for this but I'm ok with a top 15 HS class and top 10 portal class. Not saying this is the long term formula it it may bode well this upcoming off season. Portal recruiting is becoming very important to keep momentum going in a program instead of taking some steps back waiting on development of some players. Ask Dabo
Taking the last two seasons that have been NIL heavy has been interesting

There’s some teams that cleaned up last year and were ahead of the game that have struggled a bit, and then this year we are seeing some ultra aggressive moves by teams that were a step behind the NIL game

So I’m not entirely sure what to make of the entire thing. It’s natural fans get crazy up and down week to week but Mario is here for a long time, I’m trying to figure out if that’s good or bad

We need to be a lot better in a couple of glaring spots though that’s for sure

Advertisement
Miami is coming off of a 5-7 season and no one outside of us cane fans could name the last two bowl wins for Miami and people don't understand why they cant get the best of the best to come here? Start winning and they will come. This is a good class. Was never going to be a great class. Miami is no where close to a Georgia or bama where they can get 20 four and five stars combined every class. For people to say the second best class in the acc is bad is just ridiculous.

How long are we going to talk about 5-7? We’re 6-2. THIS season is almost done and yall are still hung up on last year.

You’ve convinced me, probably a little harsh with the OL grade. I’ll bump it to a B. There’s no sure fire stars like Mauigoa

Advertisement
Back