Its only November

cway313

If I write K, you are an idiot
Premium
Officially November 1st. Just wanted to give anyone the chance to go on record with thoughts on class. Looking down our commit list, I am not encouraged, and this is not a top 10 class. I think another 3 wins is our ceiling this year, but I won't go on record with my prediction.

How do you see these next 45 days shaking out? Is it still too early to judge? Is it only November and Zo and Mario are waiting to shock the world? Is the class fine and Cway a mope?

Advertisement
I'd give it a 6 out of 10. Disappointing in general but it's not a bad class.

The two things I'm most concerned about is the failure to address key positions of need along with the fact that UF and FSU both have top 5 recruiting classes.

Many have said...just you wait...those classes will fall apart...and while I'm sure Florida will definitely lose some players and maybe FSU, they're both likely to finish with significantly stronger classes than us.

I’ve made my thoughts clear. At least 8-10 guys that don’t improve the quality and depth of this roster, and that’s a casualty of lack of wins in 2023 + losing battles on the trail to more successful programs (and maybe stingy with the checkbook? That part changes with each recruiting win or loss it seems).

Regardless, we should never have the third-best class in the state with Mario as our coach.

Instead, just hope we finish 3-1 to finish out the year and they said “win and they’ll come”. So let’s win 9 games.

If we win 9, I expect a class within that 8-10 range and an average per recruit rating inside the Top 13. That would be much better, and hope we hit at a higher clip in the portal for the ‘24 season.

Advertisement
I think we are staring at a top 15 class, with the potential to get to the 6-9 range. We would need to play the flip game to get there which I’m not a fan of doing.

Season wise I think we go 3-1 the rest of the way. 9-3 is ok, but knowing we’d be kneel down from 10-2 and possibly playing for the ACC title will make me sick.

QB-Project
RB-Elite player
TE-Very good player
WR-Elite class
OL-Athletic projects down year for OL across the nation

DE-Very good class, maybe 1 elite player in Lightfoot
DT-1 good player, missing quality and numbers
LB-Ok class
CB-I personally like Mack and Frederique, but I know the star gazers dont like this CB class
S-Really like this safety class with arguably top S prospect in America, and high upside S

Again this recruiting class is fine if you supplement it with portal players also. Like DT, isn't as big a miss since you added Burroughs.
If Miami adds a portal QB, that position isn't a big miss.

I still expect Miami to add a few more quality players in this class.

I think we are staring at a top 15 class, with the potential to get to the 6-9 range. We would need to play the flip game to get there which I’m not a fan of doing.

Season wise I think we go 3-1 the rest of the way. 9-3 is ok, but knowing we’d be kneel down from 10-2 and possibly playing for the ACC title will make me sick.
If you had told me before the season started that we’d beat both Clemson and A&M, but finish 8-4…I’d be completely bewildered.

That GT debacle will haunt us for a while, but have to finish 3-1 at worst in order to deem this season successful. Especially considering how great our OL turned out to be, and we’re wasting it by keeping inferior teams in ballgames with our sluggish offensive approach.

Starts on Saturday by hopefully taking care of a very below-average NC State team that has no pulse on offense.

Advertisement
Rb, Wr we overachieved. Landed a stud safety and a very good D end class once again. Qb is a project, corner is underwhelming but I like Mack a lot, and DT has been a failure. Landing Bell will boost o line class quite a bit. But hard to grade this class any better than just decent.

Officially November 1st. Just wanted to give anyone the chance to go on record with thoughts on class. Looking down our commit list, I am not encouraged, and this is not a top 10 class. I think another 3 wins is our ceiling this year, but I won't go on record with my prediction.

How do you see these next 45 days shaking out? Is it still too early to judge? Is it only November and Zo and Mario are waiting to shock the world? Is the class fine and Cway a mope?
Thank you, I appreciate you providing me with this opportunity to share my opinions about the recruiting class.

As long as we finish this class out with a few more early impact types and do well in the portal I’m fine with it. Now if next year we are right back here then I’ll be bummed. But let’s win 2-3 more games. Win a bowl, no bad losses and next year with our schedule win 10+ finally.

If you had told me before the season started that we’d beat both Clemson and A&M, but finish 8-4…I’d be completely bewildered.

That GT debacle will haunt us for a while, but have to finish 3-1 at worst in order to deem this season successful. Especially considering how great our OL turned out to be, and we’re wasting it by keeping inferior teams in ballgames with our sluggish offensive approach.

Starts on Saturday by hopefully taking care of a very below-average NC State team that has no pulse on offense.
Agreed!

And, the central players in this need to understand that money - not metaphorical money - actual money-MONEY is on the line.

So, it's time to buck up, get centered, get rested, practice hard, watch film, see your shrink (if that's part of your world) and win 3 out of the next 4. They do that and even those of us who predicted 10 wins will be satisfied and we'll still be able to log in that 10th win with the bowl game.

Advertisement
QB-Project
RB-Elite player
TE-Very good player
WR-Elite class
OL-Athletic projects down year for OL across the nation

DE-Very good class, maybe 1 elite player in Lightfoot
DT-1 good player, missing quality and numbers
LB-Ok class
CB-I personally like Mack and Frederique, but I know the star gazers dont like this CB class
S-Really like this safety class with arguably top S prospect in America, and high upside S

Again this recruiting class is fine if you supplement it with portal players also. Like DT, isn't as big a miss since you added Burroughs.
If Miami adds a portal QB, that position isn't a big miss.

I still expect Miami to add a few more quality players in this class.
I want to focus on the bolded part quickly, as we can go back-and-forth on high school evals leading up to ESD.

This is a huge part of recruiting now. We all can admit how it’s helped FSU fast-track their rebuild. Ole Miss uses the portal a ton, LSU, USC, Oregon, etc. Heck, we have Lee, Cohen, Kiko and Deen that have heavily impacted our production. We’ve had some misses for sure, probably too many if you’re relying on the portal…but of the good that’s come out, it’s been very good.

With that being said, A LOT of teams are gearing up to attack the portal in ‘24. It’s going to be a madhouse. It’s going to affect everyone, and what I mean by that is you probably won’t see an FSU pull 10 studs out of the portal. It’s going to be spread around the nation, and of course some teams will get more than others…but there will be more uniformity imo. Money talks, and everyone is getting their checkbooks ready.

You can ask @Rellyrell regarding USC, but you can clearly see them as an example of a team that’s scaled back the high-school recruiting and is gearing up for monster portal moves. The cream of the crop. Bama getting ready, OU/Texas are getting ready for their conference moves, Oregon (Lanning uses the portal well) and Washington for their conference moves, Auburn needs to keep reloading and they have money to burn, Napier is feeling pressure and UF has deep pockets, A&M, UGA and LSU will always be threats, FSU will want to maintain some momentum and will continue to sell their souls for instant production, Deion is probably going to throw the kitchen sink at any OL with a pulse…but probably go after big portal names, etc.

Point is, we’re going to have to fight off a ton of big programs in the portal.

Advertisement
QB F, Judd isn’t it
RB A, no complaints whatsoever
WR B, still think we need one more elite talent
TE B, need a second legit option
OL C-, only giving them this rather a D because of their development
DE B+, still would like more size than Pickett/Rudolph provide but they have 3 top 25 talents
DT D-, I believe Jones will flip but rather than the F they get the D- because they have him for now
LB C-, Pruitt likely is a player with time but that’s it
CB F, just putrid again
S B-, Patterson is a star and I think Mack contributes with time

Overall it’s a C- class - way too many misses at QB, DT, and CB again which is going to cause unlimited problems moving forward and prevent Mario from getting this right in Year 3

QB F, Judd isn’t it
RB A, no complaints whatsoever
WR B, still think we need one more elite talent
TE B, need a second legit option
OL C-, only giving them this rather a D because of their development
DE B+, still would like more size than Pickett/Rudolph provide but they have 3 top 25 talents
DT D-, I believe Jones will flip but rather than the F they get the D- because they have him for now
LB C-, Pruitt likely is a player with time but that’s it
CB F, just putrid again
S B-, Patterson is a star and I think Mack contributes with time

Overall it’s a C- class - way too many misses at QB, DT, and CB again which is going to cause unlimited problems moving forward and prevent Mario from getting this right in Year 3
Even for me that’s a tad bit harsh. Won’t argue against it overall, personally would go C+ range with improvement very much possible. The issue is this class doesn’t build upon last year’s - at best it’s stagnant.

I think Carr is an absolute stud and our best WR recruit. Not down on that room at all. Agree with the DE, DT and DB assessment.

Worried about Pruitt and Bama, think he can play.

8-4 was the goal and it is more than attainable at this point in time. The fact that we have the class we have is very concerning. I figured that we would have a top ten class when the smoke cleared and reality is that we are looking at 15-17. Now some will retort that we have a top 11 class right now… look at our average and then look at who is behind us and their average. We have 24 guys committed and there are 4-6 programs that once they get to 24 commits will all but assuredly pass us. We have a month and a half to go so things can still change but the time is now and finishing with a class ranking of 15-17 with an 8-4 record would be a disaster given the why we hired Mario and what we paid him.

Advertisement
Back