Its only November

Been a mediocre year..add these guys and ill be ok BUT we better attack the portal with all this money we got left lol

Lyle
Cole
Mincey

Flip one of jj or ellis and im happy, add a big time dt and im really moved but both seem like long shots at this point imo. There is some good guys in this class they just need to add more and push out some of the mid

Advertisement
QB - Big Dud
RB - Very good, especially if Lyle is added.
WR - Elite
TE - Personally not high on him but blah.
OL - All developmental guys with size, good thing is we won’t need them to play early and they have earned some benefit of doubt here.
Edge - Upside guys, need weight. 2 of them likely won’t see the field next year.
DT - 1 big dud, 1 dude, who we may not even keep. Severely underwhelming.
LB - Duds
CB - Duds. Severely underwhelming.
Safety - Player

Need to cut some fat, say everything you want about this class being “good”, but we didn’t pay Mario 8M a year for “good”. If this was a UF/FSU class, you all would be laughing at them.

We need to just keep winning and go after the right guys in the portal. Impact guys who help us in 2024 is the objective, not duds who are backups and rotational guys.

Last cycle was Mario's bump year and this is what 5-7 ultimately gets you. We need to finish 8-4 at a minimum to have a shot at 9+ with the bowl win and then I think you'll see the '25 class back in the range we saw last year. I still think we end up with a top 15 class.

I'd say theres highlights and lowlights in this class. What this class has just demonstrated is A winning absolutely matters and the past season just didn't sit well with 24 recruits and B certain coaches absolutely need to get their papers and get the **** out.

The positives thus far:

- WR recruiting looks great. If we can add Smith, Wingo, or Miller to join our current commits, then we'll have the best WR class in the entire country. As long as Smith doesn't end up at FSU, I think everyone would be very satisfied with the 3 we have at WR.
- Our DE haul is somewhere between very solid and great with Lightfoot being the standout and likely the only one ready to contribute immediately. If we can flip Stewart, it'd be an elite haul.
- We have a couple of elite gets at non-premium positions, i.e. Riley at RB, who looks like a potential difference maker. Sounds like Lyle is a flip candidate, which is great. Hopefully we don't lose Lofton to Texas.

The negatives thus far:

- QB recruiting is atrocious. Hopefully we can flip a premier HS QB recruit AND land a stud in the portal. We need both.
- DT recruiting is atrocious. Jones has a lot of upside and is a very nice get if he sticks, but Russell is not a Power 5 player and shouldn't be in this class.
- CB recruiting is atrocious. Maddeningly on par or below par with how past coaches who've failed here have recruited the position. Thankfully we landed Zaquan or else safety recruiting would be just as alarmingly poor.

I excluded OL from either category because even though we've missed on top targets, Broussard and Plazz are nice developmental prospects and I don't blame anyone for granting benefit of the doubt to Mario/Mirabal here. Calling a spade a spade, this class needs serious upgrades at several key positions and it's not good enough right now. We didn't hire Mario to land the clear third best class in the state. Hopefully we finish very strong.

Last edited:
Advertisement
If you had told me before the season started that we’d beat both Clemson and A&M, but finish 8-4…I’d be completely bewildered.

That GT debacle will haunt us for a while, but have to finish 3-1 at worst in order to deem this season successful. Especially considering how great our OL turned out to be, and we’re wasting it by keeping inferior teams in ballgames with our sluggish offensive approach.

Starts on Saturday by hopefully taking care of a very below-average NC State team that has no pulse on offense.
The GT debacle - best way to label that game - has generated a lot fo negativity around the season and program. What I find solace in is that people generally have short memories. For instance, how harmful (long term) was the Jax St. lose FSU suffered 2 seasons ago? How harmful (long term) was Norvell's cowering from Clemson during Covid season? Finally, how harmful was Deion's poaching Travis Hunter from FSU been?

I don't have a good answer to those three questions, but two years from those events (my timeline may be off so I apologize in advance) FSU finds itself in a position to qualify for the playoffs.

GT was a bad loss, but Miami can overcome it and still be on track which is mostly focused on building this thing back to a sustainable level - no flash in the pan type of unsustainable nonsense. We set aside the emotions and frustrations of the season there are a lot of good things that are taking place with the program things that are tangible (beating TAMU and Clemson, cutting down on penalties, coming from behind to win games or keep them competitive). That's not to excuse anything that has happened this season, or ignore what areas need to continue to develop or improve; but, sometimes we need to remind ourselves to peek at the forest sometimes and take a break from staring at a tree.

Back on track with OP's thread...

I think Mario pulls at least 2 surprises and the class ends up at 9 or 10 which is solid. I also think Mario hits the portal but will add pieces that may not wow us, or helps us win message board arguments with our rivals but the pieces added will prove valuable when the 2024 season is played.

If you had told me before the season started that we’d beat both Clemson and A&M, but finish 8-4…I’d be completely bewildered.

That GT debacle will haunt us for a while, but have to finish 3-1 at worst in order to deem this season successful. Especially considering how great our OL turned out to be, and we’re wasting it by keeping inferior teams in ballgames with our sluggish offensive approach.

Starts on Saturday by hopefully taking care of a very below-average NC State team that has no pulse on offense.
I was just talking about this with a buddy the other day. Who would have thought at the beginning of the season we would beat Clemson and A&M and not be in the top 10 in Nov in recruiting? People would think I was nuts and here we are.

tbd....

i love the all the top guys (pruitt on up on 247 star rankings). below them broussard and shavers i like a lot too. i actually don't hate judd provided we take a QB or two in the portal, because they've already got a bluechip kid locked up for next class.

but if we finish 9-3+ we need to land more top flight guys - at positions of need (CB DT etc) - in this class or i'll be dissapointed.

Advertisement
tbd....

i love the all the top guys (pruitt on up on 247 star rankings). below them broussard and shavers i like a lot too. i actually don't hate judd provided we take a QB or two in the portal, because they've already got a bluechip kid locked up for next class.

but if we finish 9-3+ we need to land more top flight guys - at positions of need (CB DT etc) - in this class or i'll be dissapointed.
Judd and Russell are the only takes I'm scratching my head on. Francavilla is a project for sure but kid is clearly smart and comes from a good prep program, so that's a flyer I'm willing to take, especially along the OL.

This class not good enough without serious top end talent.

I judge classes in groups of 3. plus the portal cannot be ignored so just judging the high school recruit without that wont create a real picture. For example if we bring in a starting caliber QB in the portal, am i gonna spend my time crying about what judd is or could be 2 years from now? No.

Advertisement
The good:

We’ve got a couple of guys imo that are exciting in Riley and Jones. Gotta hang on to them

This class is heavy heavy on evals and the staff, so far, has some solid early returns on finding some dudes others missed. Not Copium to say there’s quite a few guys that I feel are very underrated

The bad:

No Bain, Mauigoa types. I admit I’m not super familiar with how Trader is going and I think he’s a really good player too, but we don’t have any of THAT GUYs in this class

Everyone upset with DT recruiting, and I get it, but the CB recruiting is the most mind blowing **** show I can fathom. I see why we whiffed on a lot of DTs (in general) but this CB recruiting is inexcusable

I will say I’ve backed off following recruiting because between the NIL, the “market adjustments” from teams that cleaned up last year and ones that fell flat, I think this December is gonna be a bloodbath

No idea how it shakes out so I would just be throwing **** against the wall trying to guess what happens

We get some kind of crazy flip from a kid like Robinson and suddenly it’s not so bad

Edited: forgot about Ny Carr. That dude is ****** electric and a type of player this team desperately needed

Last edited:
Advertisement

The OL part is starting to get to me. If we’re to go say 10-2 and play in a NY6 bowl game, I’d bet a large sum of money this line would win the Joe Moore award. Every week we’ve got 2,3 even 4 guys making the PFF top graded lists. It’s becoming unfathomable we could really end up 8-4.

I’m not going to count out Mario going into ESD, this is not game management we’re talking about. If we go 8-4 I will have plenty of confidence Mario closes well, probably a 9-12 finish. If we finish 7-5 or less I can’t imagine there is much juice to capitalize on the trail.

Judd and Russell are the only takes I'm scratching my head on. Francavilla is a project for sure but kid is clearly smart and comes from a good prep program, so that's a flyer I'm willing to take, especially along the OL.
Russell i figure is one of those local guys who helps with other local guys, but is sticking out like a sore thumb as a take cause of all the other DTs we missed on.

with Judd and our QB situation my best guess of our coaches thinking is:
- hit the portal for a starting QB for next year​
- they like emory enough that they think we could have a good enough offense with him running the show for a year in 2 years​
- judd is a big kid with a big arm who can run but is a huge project (triple pause) so develop him for 2 years and maybe they'll have something​
- if judd is a bum, then you'll have nickel in year 2 ready to take the reins​
i don't hate this, but i don't love it either​

Advertisement
Back