Its only November

Plenty of needs in the class and on the team….BUT five dudes in the Top 75 is exceptional. Last year’s class was the highest ranked class in the 247 era and we had three commits in the Top 75, two of which are making massive impacts on the field this year. Not saying we have a Bain-type in our class yet, but the hit ratio on our high end guys will be the best it’s been with Mario leading the way.
Definitely a positive but we also only had 3 guys outside the top 700 last year while currently having 8. Last class, 16 out of the 23 HS commits were in the top 500. This class has 11 out of 24. Obviously still time for some guys to get a recruiting bump but its unlikely to happen for more than 2 or 3 of the commits.

Advertisement
I'll simply leave it at I disagree. This is just people seeing things the way they choose. By that logic should a&m & Clemson have lost to us? Because they're Georgia from a recruiting perspective. Furthermore unc is closer to that then us as well RIGHT NOW. So not sure that should be the argument. It's called competitive sports and **** happens. The key is simply limiting it from rolling downhill. For me several posters on here I simply think of **** rolling downhill whenever I see there names.

I think the program is on the right track and Mario is the right man for the job. I want our admin and our NIL people to step it up though and support Mario a little better so he has the chance to recruit the talent he needs to get Miami back to being what Miami needs to be.

I think this rebuild would be a lot easier if we had signed a couple of those 5-star d-linemen we hosted over the summer and some stud corners like the kid committed to Georgia. I don’t blame Mario for those misses, I know the man can recruit and I know he and Alonzo know talent. I blame the NIL people for being stingy and not paying the bills

Definitely a positive but we also only had 3 guys outside the top 700 last year while currently having 8. Last class, 16 out of the 23 HS commits were in the top 500. This class has 11 out of 24. Obviously still time for some guys to get a recruiting bump but its unlikely to happen for more than 2 or 3 of the commits.
8 outside the top 700 might be the most disturbing thing Ive read on CIS.
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

This is a good review. I won't disagree with anyone who calls this recruiting cycle an L in general because it appears we'll come in 3rd to FSU and Florida
This shouldn't be the metric that we judge a class. It should be, did the class address our needs. One way to assess that is something I remember Shadow said on his old board "look at a rolling two-year class instead of a class in isolation". These days you have to also factor in portal adds.

Even from that perspective, there are still holes mainly DT and CB. As I've said before, I hope Mario's dusting off his back channeling chops.
The jury's not in yet.
But did we get enough to be successful in the future? I'd say yes and trust our development more than FSU or Florida. This isn't a dud class but you definitely don't want to come in 3rd again any time soon.

Advertisement
8 outside the top 700 might be the most disturbing thing Ive read on CIS.
Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad
But compared to 16 the previous year. At least it's trending the right direction. The value of this class will be determined on well the bottom half is rather than how well the top half is.

It’s not what we hoped for. Regardless, this class will bring in players that straight up outclass Many Diaz’s players. With some good portal transfers we can fill in the other holes we have. FSU had an unremarkable class last season five seasons and they are at the top of the conference. This our first season with Guidry and Dawson. Let’s see how the next year plays out.

Advertisement
Winning OT games while looking bad on offense is like using a bucket to scoop intruding water out of your boat. Sure, we stay afloat for now, but nobody is dying to jump on board with us.

We need to drop 40 points and beat NC St convincingly. Beat FSU as ugly as you want. And then beat UL by 10.

At that point, then elite recruits will want to jump on to our ship. Or at least more willing to.

Right now, they're looking at the ship and questioning everything about its safety even though it hasn't sunk.
“But we are 6-2, bro!”

Recruit rankings is inexact science. Some of our lowest commits are OL and a kicker. Borregalas was not top 1500 in his class and anez cooper wasn't top 1000 in his class. Pretty sure we love having them as hurricanes. If Miami can add a good corner and dt this is a good class.

So how does that not endorse my last sentence 100%? Having some concerns is one thing when it's based upon our CURRENT SITUATION. For yall to say your concerns are based upon our past 20 years is a blatant crock of ****. What does our past 20 years have to do with MARIO CRISTOBAL and this staff? Every single step we've made in the last 2 years has been contrary to ANYTHING we've done in the last twenty years... #1 our admin isn't committed to winning because they refuse to spend what's necessary to bring in the right individuals... Response: we went out and spent 80 million on a head coach and plenty more on his choices for staff(no matter what the results), we went out and got one of the more respected ad in all of collegiate sports, we have flipped this campus on it's head with construction and a commitment to our facilities with far more to come, we built a collective of multiple billionaires in a space that honestly we would seriously struggle in the local climate if not for our collective, our head coach looked in the mirror and heard the criticism and made hires to address how the majority of the fanbase feels we should be schematically playing football,etc etc etc.

Do people take a second to look at that or do they simply shart words constantly for lil reason.
Legit concerns are we trend to go conservative now because our QB is having a confidence crisis & our OC potentially has lost some confidence in him as well.
Legit concerns are our boundaries corners are either not being taught how to correct inside leverage and pivot Or they lack situational awareness.
Legit concerns is far too often we have mental breakdowns that cost us in HUGE moments as a staff and as players.
Legit concerns is what exactly will we have to do in order to gain the confidence of recruits at certain key positions...

The sky isn't always falling hermano. Especially if you choose to embrace the beauty of the moment... You know why I choose not to pay attention to many on here? I know this process well. I went through it in college and to a lesser extent in the NFL. Adversity is the only way you can grow as a team...
It’s the “What have you done for ME lately” and “I want it NOW” mentality of our society in general. I’ve said many times, NO ONE could overcome 20 years of mediocrity at Miami in less than 2 years.

Are there still some shortcomings on the roster? No doubt. Mario has a proven track record of recruiting at a high level and still has some negative stereotyping to overcome.

Does Mario have faults? Can’t deny them. So does every major CFB HC in America. His year 1 coordinator hires were an obvious disaster but he didn’t hesitate to make changes. The juries still out on Dawson but Guidry seems to be an “A” hire.

The vast majority of the comments on these boards focus on any negative aspect of the program in general. Attribute it to any number of EXCUSES. We can choose to focus on the negative or we can look at the big picture and realize there are plenty of positives to acknowledge as well.

Advertisement
Officially November 1st. Just wanted to give anyone the chance to go on record with thoughts on class. Looking down our commit list, I am not encouraged, and this is not a top 10 class. I think another 3 wins is our ceiling this year, but I won't go on record with my prediction.

How do you see these next 45 days shaking out? Is it still too early to judge? Is it only November and Zo and Mario are waiting to shock the world? Is the class fine and Cway a mope?
We have 2 examples with the last two classes of how Mario can make major moves down the stretch with signing day looming. I'm a believer he will have some surprises for us this year just like he has the previous two years and I'll keep that mindset until he lays an egg with no flips or surprises before a signing day.

It’s the “What have you done for ME lately” and “I want it NOW” mentality of our society in general. I’ve said many times, NO ONE could overcome 20 years of mediocrity at Miami in less than 2 years.

Are there still some shortcomings on the roster? No doubt. Mario has a proven track record of recruiting at a high level and still has some negative stereotyping to overcome.

Does Mario have faults? Can’t deny them. So does every major CFB HC in America. His year 1 coordinator hires were an obvious disaster but he didn’t hesitate to make changes. The juries still out on Dawson but Guidry seems to be an “A” hire.

The vast majority of the comments on these boards focus on any negative aspect of the program in general. Attribute it to any number of EXCUSES. We can choose to focus on the negative or we can look at the big picture and realize there are plenty of positives to acknowledge as well.
This is the 2024 class opinion thread.

Advertisement
This is the dangerous part of believing this though. Yes you can find one or two gems but the class can’t be half gems. You need to land top 250 players to win a title. For every Concepion from NC state who was ranked in the 500s there are 3 dozen others who won’t do **** around the same ranking.
Recruit rankings is inexact science. Some of our lowest commits are OL and a kicker. Borregalas was not top 1500 in his class and anez cooper wasn't top 1000 in his class. Pretty sure we love having them as hurricanes. If Miami can add a good corner and dt this is a good class.

This is the dangerous part of believing this though. Yes you can find one or two gems but the class can’t be half gems. You need to land top 250 players to win a title. For every Concepion from NC state who was ranked in the 500s there are 3 dozen others who won’t do **** around the same ranking.
These dudes live in the twilight zone. Been 15 years of “gems” and we have stunk to high heaven. Meanwhile the teams who land classes filled with blue chips up and down the list are competing for titles.

Yes I know… but Zo bro!!!! We better hope he’s that good or it’s going to be much of the same. Stacking classes like last year (23 class was elite) is so important for Mario

This shouldn't be the metric that we judge a class. It should be, did the class address our needs. One way to assess that is something I remember Shadow said on his old board "look at a rolling two-year class instead of a class in isolation". These days you have to also factor in portal adds.

Even from that perspective, there are still holes mainly DT and CB. As I've said before, I hope Mario's dusting off his back channeling chops.
The jury's not in yet.
I actually have the same view as you. I just said I wouldn't argue with anyone who wanted to view it the other way. Haha the hate for those schools is deep so I aint mad at that perspective. It just isn't a perspective that will actually matter to wins and losses.

I'd also bet Mario can't stand being 3rd either though. He seemed to revel in destroying Billy last year and FSU wasn't even a factor.

Advertisement
Back