It's Officialy Time: Fund The US1 Billboard UPDATE: $3845 Raised!

I started this campaign after the original thread gauging interest received overwhelming support, and well over 3k views. If every single one of those readers donated just $2 to this effort, we would have more than enough to get it done.

Truth is simple banners aren't going to cut it anymore. I gave it several hours before checking the news today, and laughed that the most embarrassing loss in school history hasn't merited any firings. Blake James should have been shown the door immediately to get the party started at least, when you compound this loss with the way all the major athletic programs have performed in recent years.

It's time to take matters into our own hands, and give notice to the entire administration from the community that we think them a joke and a clown show. Clearly being beaten by the commuter school in Sweetwater wasn't embarrassing enough for them. So throw in your money, and throw in your billboard ideas. The one requirement is that it needs to target the school/administration as a whole, and not any one individual. There is plenty of stink to spread around. Bonus points for creative ways to embarrass the school as much as possible without getting me sued for defamation lmao.

Fundraising link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/us1-billboard-protest-um-administration

UPDATE 11/27 :

Billboard
Billboard companies are being pretty slow in responding given turkey week, but I've successfully given specifics to one who will be emailing me options on the Dadeland - i95 stretch shortly. I told him it was for community outreach haha. The only definite info I got from him on the call is that digital is cheaper, both in terms of monthly price (since it gets cycled with other ads on the same board), and since print costs can be pretty high, like easily 1k apparently. Unfortunately vast majority of that stretch is traditional print boards, and to compound matters printing is usually backed up this time of the season with holiday advertising in full swing. I'll create an official update to the OP and fundraising page when I have more concrete details. Takeaway is that this will be a logistical challenge even with cash in hand. So the more that can be raised the better, as it seems likely the amount will have to be raised if we're forced to go the print route.

Legal
Messaging wise, I've made the decision that while I would absolutely love to, I don't feel comfortable putting up names of the BOT. Simply put, all the members of the BOT are very wealthy and well connected locally. Many of them are attorneys/politicians or have many attorney buddies. There are a category of laws called anti-SLAPP laws which aim to prevent abuse of the civil justice system by way of frivolous lawsuits. Unfortunately Florida's variety of these laws are extremely narrow and only apply where government agencies are involved, not disputes between private persons. The take away here is if I go after any one of them personally, they can easily sue me even if no laws are broken and I would be screwed. Even if it's highly unlikely that they win, they can still tie me up in legal processes and fees for years out of spite if they were so inclined. Unfortunately I'm just not willing to paint that kind of target on my back. The furthest I'm willing to go would be a simple "fire blake james" type of thing. Fortunatly I think we can still take an effective shot at the school and the BOT by extension without resorting to outright naming.

Actual Messaging
I plan on throwing up a poll of the top few general ideas I've seen so far to narrow it down substantially, either late tonight or early tomorrow in a new thread. My own submission to the poll is the following, the exact details of which can be debated and decided later via another poll if it edges everything else out:

U Should Be Ashamed (or, The U Is Dying)
15 years. 0 ACC titles, one division title, one 10 win season.
UM 24 - 30 FIU (or, can be excluded)
www.fireTheAthleticDepartment.com (or, fireblakejames.com)

I'd argue that it's a simple and attention grabbing message that will embarrass the school. As for the details, I'm genuinely afraid that if Blake James gets fired they'll just promote some other loser from the same failing group in his place, just like they did with Manny. So I want to send the message that they need to just clean house without having a laundry list of names. Flip side is it might lack punch, idk.

If you have a substantially different, but still simple and effective, idea petition me to include it in the voting as an option here over the rest of today.
I think you need to get a life.

Advertisement
If we have gone this far already, we should probably go through with it at this point. $3,000 is a lot of money to just stop now.

If we have gone this far already, we should probably go through with it at this point. $3,000 is a lot of money to just stop now.

Don’t think anyone has plans of stopping it this close.

This is a long term play, even if it takes another month to raise the money, the message we’re sending will still be relevant in January.

But I don’t think it will, I’ve seen a lot of people say they’re waiting to donate until they see the final message and price.

OP, long time consultant here with years experience with high level briefings, and I also have an Ivy MBA. Think in this way:

Problem
Challenge
Solution

My advice...if you’re doing this, think it all the way through and take your time with it...don’t rush. Namely, think weeks - and that’s with your foot on the gas, and not days. You’re creating a high level marketing campaign and a pitch, so do it right. You’ll need a push-pull strategy to create stickiness (make memorable) so I see a three phased approach, not one...or two.

1. The billboard message must be simple, High level, targeted, and with punch. One must be able to digest it all in a glance....in 7-10 seconds.

2. Pull strategy. Build your website and added at the bottom of the build board (firewhomever.com), and the website should go into your high level points. Here, you’re “pulling” your audience in. Don’t turn it into a manifiesto that goes too deep in the weeds or it won’t get read. Have a good writer for this - don’t just throw it together. Make sure the website is vetted (have a number of drafts before finalizing) and completed BEFORE you put up the billboard.

3. Push strategy. include a social media campaign. This is 2020 folks, not 2002. Here, you are ”pushing” info to your target audience. This also needs to be developed and vetted before the billboard goes up.

Finally, after you guys get close to your message, I’d recommend working with 5-7 smart guys on this to sharpen it...find consultants, publicists, brand strategist or people that have worked on marketing campaigns before. You should be able to find plenty of them on this board or the WEZ, I’m sure.

Don’t open this up to the entire board. The messaging could get convoluted due to all the white noise (chatter). You be the liaison to give updates and provide status to the board, but work as a small group. Give everyone tasks and meet biweekly as a group by teleconference, Skype, etc to bring it all together and to finalize the deliverable

I’ll never understand why posters feel the need to list their personal accomplishments / accolades on this board. If you’re smart enough to go to Ivy MBA, be smart enough to use PM.

OP, long time consultant here with years experience with high level briefings, and I also have an Ivy MBA. Think in this way:

Problem
Challenge
Solution

C'Mon Man, UM Athletics is a National Joke!

Building Champions? Nah, Decades of Suck! or (Losing)

Fire James Blake and Jenn Strawley!

Advertisement
I’ll never understand why posters feel the need to list their personal accomplishments / accolades on this board. If you’re smart enough to go to Ivy MBA, be smart enough to use PM.

This just seems like the bigger issue is with yourself. You’re having an issue your lot in life, and that’s obvious if something that triggers you. By your logic, why shouldn’t everyone just us PMs to post the OP instead of in the thread?

I listed my background because this is a marketing/branding project with a consultative component, and that I’ve done high value, highly visible projects before. You guys want to put up a billboard, and that could draw a lot of attention if done correctly OR it could fail spectacularly.

I offered advice to give guidance, a little structure and a simple framework to keep you guys from wasting thousands of dollars, which is exactly where this is headed if you guys go with some of the suggestions floating out there. Some of the suggestions were wild (listing all BOT names on a billboard, etc) and I didn’t want to see things spiral... or would that be your preference?

And I would assume most here would list personal accomplishments when discussing a subject that might require nuance, special training or expertise (Legal or Medicine), especially if you’re trying to help someone or a cause free of charge.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Waiting for the confirmation asking for Diaz removal on the billboard.

This admin is so dumb they would simply look at this as the fans wanting Diaz to be given more resources when the guy needs to be fired immediately.

It HAS to say to fire Blake and Manny. HAS to.

I started this campaign after the original thread gauging interest received overwhelming support, and well over 3k views. If every single one of those readers donated just $2 to this effort, we would have more than enough to get it done.

Truth is simple banners aren't going to cut it anymore. I gave it several hours before checking the news today, and laughed that the most embarrassing loss in school history hasn't merited any firings. Blake James should have been shown the door immediately to get the party started at least, when you compound this loss with the way all the major athletic programs have performed in recent years.

It's time to take matters into our own hands, and give notice to the entire administration from the community that we think them a joke and a clown show. Clearly being beaten by the commuter school in Sweetwater wasn't embarrassing enough for them. So throw in your money, and throw in your billboard ideas. The one requirement is that it needs to target the school/administration as a whole, and not any one individual. There is plenty of stink to spread around. Bonus points for creative ways to embarrass the school as much as possible without getting me sued for defamation lmao.

Fundraising link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/us1-billboard-protest-um-administration

UPDATE 11/27 :

Billboard
Billboard companies are being pretty slow in responding given turkey week, but I've successfully given specifics to one who will be emailing me options on the Dadeland - i95 stretch shortly. I told him it was for community outreach haha. The only definite info I got from him on the call is that digital is cheaper, both in terms of monthly price (since it gets cycled with other ads on the same board), and since print costs can be pretty high, like easily 1k apparently. Unfortunately vast majority of that stretch is traditional print boards, and to compound matters printing is usually backed up this time of the season with holiday advertising in full swing. I'll create an official update to the OP and fundraising page when I have more concrete details. Takeaway is that this will be a logistical challenge even with cash in hand. So the more that can be raised the better, as it seems likely the amount will have to be raised if we're forced to go the print route.

Legal
Messaging wise, I've made the decision that while I would absolutely love to, I don't feel comfortable putting up names of the BOT. Simply put, all the members of the BOT are very wealthy and well connected locally. Many of them are attorneys/politicians or have many attorney buddies. There are a category of laws called anti-SLAPP laws which aim to prevent abuse of the civil justice system by way of frivolous lawsuits. Unfortunately Florida's variety of these laws are extremely narrow and only apply where government agencies are involved, not disputes between private persons. The take away here is if I go after any one of them personally, they can easily sue me even if no laws are broken and I would be screwed. Even if it's highly unlikely that they win, they can still tie me up in legal processes and fees for years out of spite if they were so inclined. Unfortunately I'm just not willing to paint that kind of target on my back. The furthest I'm willing to go would be a simple "fire blake james" type of thing. Fortunatly I think we can still take an effective shot at the school and the BOT by extension without resorting to outright naming.

Actual Messaging
I plan on throwing up a poll of the top few general ideas I've seen so far to narrow it down substantially, either late tonight or early tomorrow in a new thread. My own submission to the poll is the following, the exact details of which can be debated and decided later via another poll if it edges everything else out:

U Should Be Ashamed (or, The U Is Dying)
15 years. 0 ACC titles, one division title, one 10 win season.
UM 24 - 30 FIU (or, can be excluded)
www.fireTheAthleticDepartment.com (or, fireblakejames.com)

I'd argue that it's a simple and attention grabbing message that will embarrass the school. As for the details, I'm genuinely afraid that if Blake James gets fired they'll just promote some other loser from the same failing group in his place, just like they did with Manny. So I want to send the message that they need to just clean house without having a laundry list of names. Flip side is it might lack punch, idk.

If you have a substantially different, but still simple and effective, idea petition me to include it in the voting as an option here over the rest of today.

Anyone who donates, coordinates, funds, or helps in any way these stupid billboards and banners are giant toolbags. I am just as ****ed off about the state of the program as anyone else. But think about how dumb it is to actually think a billboard or banner is going to improve the situation. What's the ultimate goal? Get whatever coaching staff/AD is currently in place fired? Do you actually think the school will make the right hires next? It's unlikely. But these billboards and banners won't even get that done. Schools don't care. They just don't. And it scares off recruits, which in the end just hurts the program more. So don't waste your money, because you look like an idiot doing so.

Advertisement
Disgusting, shameful, and humiliating. The administrators, coaches, and players deserve our support.

You are a founder. You can turn your “disgust” into shutting this thread down. You don’t.

Rather, you keep traffic rolling and can have plausible deniability to any wtf backlash from the school. Yep.

No mods post here. Where is dan loser dangerous who hates manny?

And the no bump game posts. Solid work on that.

Here's a rough draft. I can modify an edit to everyones liking. The file is too big so i had to screen shot it.

Reminder: Whatever pictures we use can't contain original logos or people's faces without alterations. <--- If we don't want the clowns to take it down, which they will find anything to try and censor this.

Screen Shot 2019-11-29 at 3.33.47 PM.png

If you denote the sports with picture icons, I would not exclude basketball. Last year was fairly abysmal and some are saying we won't even make 10 wins this season.

Advertisement
Back