It's Officialy Time: Fund The US1 Billboard UPDATE: $3845 Raised!

305_separatist

Threskiornithidae
Premium
I started this campaign after the original thread gauging interest received overwhelming support, and well over 3k views. If every single one of those readers donated just $2 to this effort, we would have more than enough to get it done.

Truth is simple banners aren't going to cut it anymore. I gave it several hours before checking the news today, and laughed that the most embarrassing loss in school history hasn't merited any firings. Blake James should have been shown the door immediately to get the party started at least, when you compound this loss with the way all the major athletic programs have performed in recent years.

It's time to take matters into our own hands, and give notice to the entire administration from the community that we think them a joke and a clown show. Clearly being beaten by the commuter school in Sweetwater wasn't embarrassing enough for them. So throw in your money, and throw in your billboard ideas. The one requirement is that it needs to target the school/administration as a whole, and not any one individual. There is plenty of stink to spread around. Bonus points for creative ways to embarrass the school as much as possible without getting me sued for defamation lmao.

Fundraising link: https://www.gofundme.com/f/us1-billboard-protest-um-administration

UPDATE 11/27 :

Billboard
Billboard companies are being pretty slow in responding given turkey week, but I've successfully given specifics to one who will be emailing me options on the Dadeland - i95 stretch shortly. I told him it was for community outreach haha. The only definite info I got from him on the call is that digital is cheaper, both in terms of monthly price (since it gets cycled with other ads on the same board), and since print costs can be pretty high, like easily 1k apparently. Unfortunately vast majority of that stretch is traditional print boards, and to compound matters printing is usually backed up this time of the season with holiday advertising in full swing. I'll create an official update to the OP and fundraising page when I have more concrete details. Takeaway is that this will be a logistical challenge even with cash in hand. So the more that can be raised the better, as it seems likely the amount will have to be raised if we're forced to go the print route.

Legal
Messaging wise, I've made the decision that while I would absolutely love to, I don't feel comfortable putting up names of the BOT. Simply put, all the members of the BOT are very wealthy and well connected locally. Many of them are attorneys/politicians or have many attorney buddies. There are a category of laws called anti-SLAPP laws which aim to prevent abuse of the civil justice system by way of frivolous lawsuits. Unfortunately Florida's variety of these laws are extremely narrow and only apply where government agencies are involved, not disputes between private persons. The take away here is if I go after any one of them personally, they can easily sue me even if no laws are broken and I would be screwed. Even if it's highly unlikely that they win, they can still tie me up in legal processes and fees for years out of spite if they were so inclined. Unfortunately I'm just not willing to paint that kind of target on my back. The furthest I'm willing to go would be a simple "fire blake james" type of thing. Fortunatly I think we can still take an effective shot at the school and the BOT by extension without resorting to outright naming.

Actual Messaging
I plan on throwing up a poll of the top few general ideas I've seen so far to narrow it down substantially, either late tonight or early tomorrow in a new thread. My own submission to the poll is the following, the exact details of which can be debated and decided later via another poll if it edges everything else out:

U Should Be Ashamed (or, The U Is Dying)
15 years. 0 ACC titles, one division title, one 10 win season.
UM 24 - 30 FIU (or, can be excluded)
www.fireTheAthleticDepartment.com (or, fireblakejames.com)

I'd argue that it's a simple and attention grabbing message that will embarrass the school. As for the details, I'm genuinely afraid that if Blake James gets fired they'll just promote some other loser from the same failing group in his place, just like they did with Manny. So I want to send the message that they need to just clean house without having a laundry list of names. Flip side is it might lack punch, idk.

If you have a substantially different, but still simple and effective, idea petition me to include it in the voting as an option here over the rest of today.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm willing to chip in. But first we need to get the messaging perfect. Can't half *** this. We need facts and stats showing James' and the BOT's ineptitude.

I agree, open to ideas. In terms of direction, I'm torn between something more factual and direct, and something that just outright clowns the schools. I think both could be effective. The former may be much harder to ignore/dismiss, but embarrassment can pack a punch...

Advertisement
I agree, open to ideas. In terms of direction, I'm torn between something more factual and direct, and something that just outright clowns the schools. I think both could be effective. The former may be much harder to ignore/dismiss, but embarrassment can pack a punch...

1574726632756.gif

You can always put a link up to a website or something similar to save space and tell the whole story

I'm willing to chip in. But first we need to get the messaging perfect. Can't half *** this. We need facts and stats showing James' and the BOT's ineptitude.

just show the the records of our football and baseball team since Blake has been here

Advertisement
Advertisement
Meh, people have very short attention spans. Not hard to add a link and url but I think the billboard absolutely must stand on its own.
Billboard makes a much bigger impact. It's a great idea. I do think you need to have a website though that it links to. Maybe just have the website show records from the last 15 years with some comments from people talking about how the program has lost its way. I'd encourage that the billboard or website tells people to stop buying tickets and merch until changes are made.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back