Its all about UNC

Advertisement
We're not beating FSU until a receiver steps up as "go to" or we have a bag full of explosive trick plays to generate offense.

They are capable of scoring on us and executing the same defensive game plan that A&M did with more pressure. Just reality.

VT is capable of executing the defensive game plan but I don't think they can score enough to win.

UNC is capable of scoring more than both VT and FSU and can probably slow us down enough with the bend/don't break. I think the prime time game at home gives us the advantage. Coming off a bye week as well.

Virginia is terrible in the trenches and we'll probably blow them out. They have 4 legit WRs and a good QB if they figure out how to keep us off Armstrong it could get interesting.

Duke is a wild card. Elko will scheme something up on defense and their offense looks dangerous. I think we pull it out but I expect it closer than I thought in the summer.

We'll blow out GT

This offense can't move the ball on Clemson. Too big and tough up front and they have the blue print. Probably another 17-9 or 17-13 type game. A&M wasn't nearly as loud as I thought it would be. Death Valley gets much louder on the field and creates those issues in a tough environment.

Pitt will give us trouble on offense with their blitzes and they'll swallow our WRs in coverage and will probably move it on our defense. I don't think they have the offensive talent to beat us badly. I expect the tougher team to win. That'll be a Mario 'culture building' game.

I still think we're a 9-3 team. Probably in the ACCCG. Our defense is tough and we're tough in the trenches. Special teams will be fine. We HAVE TO find a WR1. It took Rambo 3-4 weeks to step up too. Maybe it happens again.
As I said when posters were acting like we were so much better than everyone on our schedule “ minus a couple games we can lose to **** near anyone”. The d will break some games and won’t be able to carry the load.

Last edited:
As I said when posters were acting like we were so much better than everyone on our schedule “ minus a couple games we can lose to **** near anyone”. The d will break some games and won’t be able to carry the load.
Any team below the top tier of 3-4 lose at least one of the "should win" games every year. You just never know where it is.

Always have to build in another L somewhere.. even Bama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, etc. are dropping the occasional dud performance (Alabama losing to A&M last year, Ohio State losing to Purdue, Georgia losing to UF in 2020 and USCe in 2019, etc.)

Let's see how UNC looks against ND this week.
ND is actually a comparable situation to us except their offense is somehow even worse. Their defense is good(barf). Unc is garbage water on defense so nd should be able to score some points maybe

Advertisement
Every game will be a dogfight until the offense proves otherwise. You’re telling me we can’t install some lashlee plays and principles in 3 weeks? The offense already knows the plays except ladson skinner and Horton. Only gattis needs to learn it and he is getting paid enough to do it. If he wants a chance at being a head coach he Better lean on TVD like lashlee did

ND is actually a comparable situation to us except their offense is somehow even worse. Their defense is good(barf). Unc is garbage water on defense so nd should be able to score some points maybe
they kept their OC (Rees) who has been trash there and their QB situation isnt good (ND).

UNC will never defend anything lol (its a mack brown staple lol). they will score a ton on everyone this year

I'm afraid A&M gave away the formula to stop us or at the very least slow us down enough to be very beatable. UNC already plays that style of defense as it is in a bend don't break.

Play 6 men in the box and let us run it. We will chunk 5-6-7 yards and eventually you'll get us for 0 or 1 and then force us to throw. In sure passing downs bring 3 and sit 8 guys in coverage. UNC has the DBs that can match up and lock us down like A&M did even with their 3rd string at times.

We are an efficient running team that really lacks explosion and big-play ability on the ground because we only have slightly above average backs. Parrish is efficient and Knighton can be explosive (him making big plays and breaking big runs might be the key to our season going forward) but goes down on the first contact. Thad is big and smooth but he's not a power runner by any means and lacks speed to break it open. We badly need someone that can break tackles and take it to the house. Both guys with that ability won't play this year in Chaney and Citizen.

Either break big run plays or successfully hit on the trick plays like the flea flicker we've tried 2 weeks in a row. I think that one has run it's course.. time to draw up some new trick plays down field. I'd love to see a return of the RB wheel we saw wide open so many times with Lashlee.
We just need practice hard during the week and not shoot ourselves in the foot on game day.

If we do that nothing else really matters.

Advertisement
That offense will show if last Saturday's defense is real or just a product of an anemic A&M offense. Maye is one of the best QB we will face this season
Regardless of our defense being "real" you can't reasonably expect them to hold UNC's offense to the same levels they held a garbage ATM offense. The heels will undoubtedly present a much tougher challenge for our defense. The thing that I like and think will be significant is the confidence our defense gained after their performance against ATM. It seemed that the defense began to gel in that game and things started to click for them. Moving forward there will be bumps in the road but if the defense can keep improving game to game they could develop into a very good unit.

I can see kids like James Williams and Kam Kinchens beginning to really gain confidence as they start to put it all together. DJ Ivey needs to build on the game he had Saturday and keep playing with confidence and physicality. Corey Flagg had him best game as a Hurricane as well and he should continue to improve despite his limitations. Caleb Johnson and Wes Bissainthe are getting better as is the entire DL who IMO have only scratched the surface of what they can become as a unit. Leonard Taylor, Darrell Jackson, Akeem Mesidor, JHH, Jafari Harvey, Elijah Roberts, Mitch Agude, Nijalik Kelly, and Thomas Davis will all get better and better every game. Jake Lichtenstein Antonio Moultrie, Chanz Williams, Jordan Miller and Jabari Ishmael will also play roles in a very deep unit. I said before the year began that the team who finishes the season will be very different from the team that began it. I really look forward to seeing weekly improvement with us playing our best football towards the end of the season.

Regardless of our defense being "real" you can't reasonably expect them to hold UNC's offense to the same levels they held a garbage ATM offense. The heels will undoubtedly present a much tougher challenge for our defense. The thing that I like and think will be significant is the confidence our defense gained after their performance against ATM. It seemed that the defense began to gel in that game and things started to click for them. Moving forward there will be bumps in the road but if the defense can keep improving game to game they could develop into a very good unit.

I can see kids like James Williams and Kam Kinchens beginning to really gain confidence as they start to put it all together. DJ Ivey needs to build on the game he had Saturday and keep playing with confidence and physicality. Corey Flagg had him best game as a Hurricane as well and he should continue to improve despite his limitations. Caleb Johnson and Wes Bissainthe are getting better as is the entire DL who IMO have only scratched the surface of what they can become as a unit. Leonard Taylor, Darrell Jackson, Akeem Mesidor, JHH, Jafari Harvey, Elijah Roberts, Mitch Agude, Nijalik Kelly, and Thomas Davis will all get better and better every game. Jake Lichtenstein Antonio Moultrie, Chanz Williams, Jordan Miller and Jabari Ishmael will also play roles in a very deep unit. I said before the year began that the team who finishes the season will be very different from the team that began it. I really look forward to seeing weekly improvement with us playing our best football towards the end of the season.
I am not asking for that. However, A&M did not test Miami in the passing game like UNC will. UNC's offense is to push the ball down the field. I have no worries bout the running game against anyone we face. I still have questions about getting to the LB's/DB's defending the pass. I am not asking them to hold QB's under 200 passing yards every week but I am also not going to just say this defense is the real deal after the A&M showing. The defense did their job but is this a one time performance or something that can be consistent at.

Outside of that one back-breaking dump off pass that went for a TD, they tackled pretty well as a unit the whole game. This has been a major problem for the defense for many years as we all know, so if that's cleaned up that would be a huge step forward for sure.

More worried about our offense keeping pace in this game. I don't think even an improved defense can expect to hold UNC to 17. I feel like I've seen this movie so many times before, when we expect to hang 40+ on a truly terrible UNC defense, but we basically get blanked in the first half and get run right out of the game.

If we lose to UNC I'm going to be so annoyed
1663854100727.jpeg

Advertisement
Outside of that one back-breaking dump off pass that went for a TD, they tackled pretty well as a unit the whole game. This has been a major problem for the defense for many years as we all know, so if that's cleaned up that would be a huge step forward for sure.

More worried about our offense keeping pace in this game. I don't think even an improved defense can expect to hold UNC to 17. I feel like I've seen this movie so many times before, when we expect to hang 40+ on a truly terrible UNC defense, but we basically get blanked in the first half and get run right out of the game.
Might not hold them to 17 but the game will probably be played in the 20s

I'm afraid A&M gave away the formula to stop us or at the very least slow us down enough to be very beatable. UNC already plays that style of defense as it is in a bend don't break.
That has been the gameplan since Bethune. Defenses are mostly rushing 4 and playing nothing but 2 or 3 deep zones, daring TVD to complete long drives to beat them. They realized how efficient he was with the long ball last season, they have taken away that part of his game and are making him prove he can also be patient. That is why all the complaints about a dink and donk offense and not enough deep balls are so absurd.

That has been the gameplan since Bethune. Defenses are mostly rushing 4 and playing nothing but 2 or 3 deep zones, daring TVD to complete long drives to beat them. They realized how efficient he was with the long ball last season, they have taken away that part of his game and are making him prove he can also be patient. That is why all the complaints about a dink and donk offense and not enough deep balls are so absurd.

I agree. The book is out on how to beat us, so it's up to our offense to adjust. UNC likes playing that style of defense anyway, so it should be interesting. I don't see any reason why we can't just churn the ball downfield easily using simple 7-10 yard hitches, if this is the way other teams are going to defend us, but what do I know.

Advertisement
They also understand that we don’t have Rambo and Harley to help him with those long passes. A&M solidified that.

How teams started playing the chiefs last year. Defenses was playing a lot of 2 deep shell to take away hill and the deep ball and making Mahomes be more methodical

I agree. The book is out on how to beat us, so it's up to our offense to adjust. UNC likes playing that style of defense anyway, so it should be interesting. I don't see any reason why we can't just churn the ball downfield easily using simple 7-10 yard hitches, if this is the way other teams are going to defend us, but what do I know.
Unc is giving up 38ppg they don’t like playing defense

Advertisement
Back