It all comes down to money and courage

Whether @Cribby or @Poopscoop or @nycane all have said similar things about the way the last hire situation was handled, the support Mario had/has and the current issues from an admin perspective. IMO this is what needs to happen for Mario to be here:

1) Football gets embarrassed again
2) Power shift in BOT
3) Flake fired

Now the above can have some minor variance, but that is generally the blueprint (to me one option as Blake’s last salvo is to give up operational decisions to a football czar but doubt he gives that up)

After this the RIGHT AD is hired (or above czar situation). Football budgets get a 50-100% increase. Then after that you apologize and go get Mario (and have to pay him)

Now the problem…see how much needs to happen? Hard to imagine UM not messing that up. Of course Miller or DiMare just blow their stack maybe they can force someone’s hands faster but they haven’t been able to achieve that yet…

Advertisement
The best way to put this is Mario is a competitor, he’s been this way since HS, through college and as a coach. His love is Miami and the Miami Hurricanes. Mario never takes the easy way out and if the opportunity presented itself and Miami offered the HC job to him with obviously a respectable salary 5.5 or 6, Mario would 100% come to Miami. Why? Because it’s his school, it’s his city and it’s a challenge.

if he where to make Miami a title contender again he would be a legend.

do I think the current Miami administration and people pulling the strings have the balls to do any of this? **** NO, but don’t get blinded by Oregon’s money, Oregon isnt home for this unique coach.

this isnt directed to you Cribby just general comment from post.
If and when Manny is fired Mario will be the first call. Bet dat.

Given the track record of the school; there is no way in **** they are going to sell the farm to get Mario Cristobal. No way. None.

First off, are we going to outbid Nike Northwest? No. Are the boosters going to pony up the money to buy out Diaz? Although over the years we have heard of high level boosters wanting Mario, I don't think so.

Would Mario want to come down? Yes, he is an alum, and was employed with the school for 5.7 seconds. Would he want to deal with the BOT and a joke of an AD? Probably not.

He'd probably want at least 5.5 million, and I don't think the school would want to give it to him.
Nike Northwest? It is Nike. Nike is from there and it's headquarters are there- no need to add the Northwest.

Nope. There’s just people willing to spend and was willing to spend three years ago.

Just a few weeks ago I thought there was a slim chance Mario would come but maybe my odds were a tad low. We still have a season to play out so I’ll just wait and see if the wheels come off then that bridge will be crossed. I’m just saying it’s not as far out there as some think.

We just have to cut straight to the chase and offer him $10 million per year. No debates about "is he worth it" or "who else we could have gotten for that money".

Saban is not walking through that door. Swinney is not walking through that door. Meyer is not walking through that door.

If you have a guy who is good and wants to coach for the U, pay that man. Let's not try to debate whether we can get him for $6.75 million. We gave Temple $4 million for Manny's two week notice.

Again, I am not definitely saying that Mario is the one-and-only person to contact, but if we decide to go in that direction, don't try to negotiate a bargain price. Pay the money and STFU.

Thing about it people forget is all of a coaches salary doesn’t necessarily come from the school.Part comes from a radio show,some can come from a weekly tv show and other places…There are plenty of places run by boosters to get enough money to sign Mario or any other coach.They just have to be worth the money to get one or more boosters to step up.They’re not stepping up for an unproven first time HC…

Advertisement
If and when Manny is fired Mario will be the first call. Bet dat.
Alot of people think he's the next coach. the former players want him, so fla media wants him. if people think he wont come home, they are crazy. Problem is you probably have to can Blake James or Mario might choke him out lol

Advertisement
Advertisement
Just want to formerly say that I agree with everything Cribby has posted on this thread.

I'll add this, if you consider the cost of Manny or any other mediocre head coach as sunk cost (unavoidable), it's just a couple million a year extra to have a very real shot at the bigtime and all of the windfalls that come with it. It's a no brainer, smart economic decision in my judgement.

Advertisement
You might be the only one on here with the stamina to win this battle..😜

It's impossible to defeat a nitwit who is going to cite the losses to F$U and VaTech without acknowledging probation and scholarship losses.

Yep, Butch was terrible at UM and should solely be judged on his career W-L record.

Whether @Cribby or @Poopscoop or @nycane all have said similar things about the way the last hire situation was handled, the support Mario had/has and the current issues from an admin perspective. IMO this is what needs to happen for Mario to be here:

1) Football gets embarrassed again
2) Power shift in BOT
3) Flake fired

Now the above can have some minor variance, but that is generally the blueprint (to me one option as Blake’s last salvo is to give up operational decisions to a football czar but doubt he gives that up)

After this the RIGHT AD is hired (or above czar situation). Football budgets get a 50-100% increase. Then after that you apologize and go get Mario (and have to pay him)

Now the problem…see how much needs to happen? Hard to imagine UM not messing that up. Of course Miller or DiMare just blow their stack maybe they can force someone’s hands faster but they haven’t been able to achieve that yet…
The straw in that equation and what screws us again(in a Rob Schneider voice) is Jenn strawley... Because what we at the University of Miami continually do is employ individuals who went to our rival schools. You really think they want to see us back.

Advertisement
Back