Issues with coach Mike Rumph

Shouldn't a former high school coach be among the best on the staff at recruiting? I mean in theory he should be able to relate well to high school students.

Rumph is a joke and needs to go. I could tolerate it if he were a great recruiter and was learning to coach on the fly. But he's bad at both coaching at recruiting.

Advertisement
Shouldn't a former high school coach be among the best on the staff at recruiting? I mean in theory he should be able to relate well to high school students.

Rumph is a joke and needs to go. I could tolerate it if he were a great recruiter and was learning to coach on the fly. But he's bad at both coaching at recruiting.
Rumph has gotten 5 4stars in the Last 2 classes at his postion, also helped get 2 4 stars in kaileon Herbert and Nesta Silvera

Kool has 3(2 since Johnson gone) in the last 2 classes on dline

Diaz- none in the last 2 classes at lb

Banda- with 1 at his postion in the last 2 classes. Helped with cbs too

But yeah rumph is the big problem in recruiting..... stop sugar coating sh*t and using rumph as a scape goat. All the coaches haven’t done well on recruiting blue chip players on defense the last 2 classes. It’s not just rumph who needs to improve

How exactly is UM not an "established" program, Broke? The Clemson game made it apparent there is still a talent disparity between UM and CFB's elite, but with Campbell and Surtain, you start closing that gap quickly.

This isn't FIU. At one point last season, this team was the #2 in country and in the playoff hunt for most of the year. Rumph's statement more or less insinuates that Georgia and Alabama are places you can compete for titles at immediately while UM is not. He's attempting to deflect the blame by making a claim that simply isn't true. And if Rumph truly believes UM can't reach that level, he needs to be fired. It's downright embarrassing to have a coach on staff with that type of mentality.

Well like it or not we were one of the most mediocre teams in CFB from 2006-2015. That's what recruits remember us by. They're not even old enough to remember the 29-8 span from 2003-2005. (Which seemed subpar at the time but seems heavenly in retrorespect.)

And like it or not we're not exactly a CFB blueblood either. Our all time winning percentage is only .634, we're only 14th in the CFBdatwarehouse all time program rankings, and our football history is basically 1983-2001. (If you want to fool around with dates to make it more generous maybe you could say 1980-2005.) Although I hate to admit it I wonder if we really can recover from a 10 year down period like a Notre Dame, Alabama or Southern Cal can. Heck we didn't even have a football team until 1925, (I'm pretty sure but not positive that we're the only Power 5 conference team other than FSU to not have a team by 1920) and these programs were building traditions and winning national championships when we literally didn't have a football team.

Last edited:

Reality is something you guys do not want to hear. If Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson and others are recruiting someone we want, we are a long shot to land the player. Rumph or the almighty will have difficulty “closing” and out recruiting above mention powers.

First time miami has won 10 games in 15 years. Campbell and surtain went to the 2 schools that just played in the championship game. So why do you think they picked them over miami?

Because rumph couldn’t convince them that we just re established ourselves as a top 10 team this year

Advertisement
Rumph has gotten 5 4stars in the Last 2 classes at his postion, also helped get 2 4 stars in kaileon Herbert and Nesta Silvera

Kool has 3(2 since Johnson gone) in the last 2 classes on dline

Diaz- none in the last 2 classes at lb

Banda- with 1 at his postion in the last 2 classes. Helped with cbs too

But yeah rumph is the big problem in recruiting..... stop sugar coating sh*t and using rumph as a scape goat. All the coaches haven’t done well on recruiting blue chip players on defense the last 2 classes. It’s not just rumph who needs to improve

Jesus christ broke you are now giving rumph credit for other coaches success in recruiting LMAO, you are still failing to mention that of the 4 stars he got a majority of them were coming here no matter who the coach was

Jesus christ broke you are now giving rumph credit for other coaches success in recruiting LMAO, you are still failing to mention that of the 4 stars he got a majority of them were coming here no matter who the coach was
Just like ermon lane, dalvin cook, Matthew Thomas, Calvin Ridley,sony Michel and the list goes on were canes fans growing up but didn’t come here. Don’t give me that sh*t, if you win a recruitment then that’s the end all be all period....

Just like ermon lane, dalvin cook, Matthew Thomas, Calvin Ridley,sony Michel and the list goes on were canes fans growing up but didn’t come here. Don’t give me that sh*t, if you win a recruitment then that’s the end all be all period....

Broke that was a weak *** argument, if they really wanted to be canes they would have blades, was committed to golden, bandy wanted to be a cane in goldens years golden never offered, rumph had relationships, team on the up, finsihing top 10, DEPTH compared to the teams they played for he had so much in our favor and he still couldn’t get it so there goes your sh¡tty counter point you got a new one????

First time miami has won 10 games in 15 years. Campbell and surtain went to the 2 schools that just played in the championship game. So why do you think they picked them over miami?
That’s where Rumph earns his salary . Show them how close we were to being in the playoffs this year and show them how they are the missing piece we need . If I’m Rumph I turn on the Wisconsin tape and show them plays where our DBs were in position and got toasted , tell them with you playing for us that doesn’t happen . Georgia had a worse record than us in 2016, how did they convince elite guys to come there ?

Advertisement
Because rumph couldn’t convince them that we just re established ourselves as a top 10 team this year
Miami isn't a top 10 team tho. Surtain said out his own mouth he chose bama because they win championships. So good luck selling miami can be a top 10 vs the national champions.

That’s where Rumph earns his salary . Show them how close we were to being in the playoffs this year and show them how they are the missing piece we need . If I’m Rumph I turn on the Wisconsin tape and show them plays where our DBs were in position and got toasted , tell them with you playing for us that doesn’t happen . Georgia had a worse record than us in 2016, how did they convince elite guys to come there ?
Im sure they watched that clemson game and based off that can you really sale that miami is close?

Im sure they watched that clemson game and based off that can you really sale that miami is close?
Did you watch the game ? The plays were there to be made early .

Put Rosier on Clemson and Bryant on our team and see how the game goes then , I really don’t think we’re that far off . We’re a great QB away

Did you watch the game ? The plays were there to be made early .

Put Rosier on Clemson and Bryant on our team and see how the game goes then , I really don’t think we’re that far off . We’re a great QB away
You must not have watched. The defense could not stop them for shît. They were driving the ball with ease. Think bryant completed his first 15 passes.

Advertisement
You must not have watched. The defense could not stop them for shît. They were driving the ball with ease. Think bryant completed his first 15 passes.
I think we had the chance to hang with them early but couldn’t make the plays because of Rosier . A great QB completely changes that game for us . If you can’t see that then idk. You ain’t see how bad they looked against Syracuse with Bryant out ?

I think we had the chance to hang with them early but couldn’t make the plays because of Rosier . A great QB completely changes that game for us . If you can’t see that then idk. You ain’t see how bad they looked against Syracuse with Bryant out ?
That was a fluke game vs syracuse.

Advertisement
This isn't rocket science. Rumph was hired on out of High School. He is a very inexperienced coach. He doesn't know how to close. Take a guy like Hartley, he followed Richt around and learned how to close from other coaches. Rumph is cutting his teeth at Miami. Diaz is not a great recruiter either, so Rumph's learning to close from other guys, primarily our offensive coaches.

If Diaz isn’t a good recruiter and also not a good Xs and Os coach I would love to know why many fans think he is the Messiah?

We were tenth in the final playoff ranking before the orange bowl, are a pre season top 10 lists thats sh¡t you can sell, lets not forget we beat a team ranked ahead of us in the final polls
Sell it to who? Surtain chose a team that just won the championship and is basically in the title game every year. Campbell chose the team that lost that title game. Look at how miami struggled in every game except for 2.

Yall dudes so focused on this who landing who shît and are not seeing clearly. Miami probably would have had to make the playoffs to get 1 of them dudes.

Miami isn't a top 10 team tho. Surtain said out his own mouth he chose bama because they win championships. So good luck selling miami can be a top 10 vs the national champions.

Paul williams was able to do it with golden as our head coach why cant rumph? Its his job to show kids we are

I think we had the chance to hang with them early but couldn’t make the plays because of Rosier . A great QB completely changes that game for us . If you can’t see that then idk
How was that a fluke game ?

Advertisement
Back