Issues with coach Mike Rumph

It's been similar results for the last four coaching staffs. Recruiting South Florida is a double edged sword. We sure as **** need to coach up the kids we do get. IMHO we still got a good DB haul. I'm more worried about the numbers on the d-line.

Advertisement
What happened yesterday speaks more about the kids, than Rumph. Conventional wisdom says he should have gotten them, but it wasn't a conventional situation. With PS2 this year and Marco last year, he just wasn't as plugged into these Heritage dbs because of who their fathers are....and TC is in the same room with them all the time. Rumph's knowledge/presence was simply a luxury and they probably thought they got all they could from him. Where I fault Rumph and the entire staff, is in not using his relationship to identify early that TC would be a tough pull. You identify that early and then prioritizes guys like Divaad Wilson and Samuels jr. You leave one or two spots open for guys like TC or PS2. if they come great, if not, no worries.

The fact is that you don't need an ace db recruiter in south florida. If you have a good db coach, the position will recruit itself. There are just too many quality db prospects down here. All Rumph has to do is start making a name for himself as a good db coach, the recruiting thing may come with time. And I care more about getting 5* DL and OL then I do 5* dbs. Its nice, but its a luxury. Last I checked, Rumph probably helped us get Nesta and Herbert. Those two will mean a lot more in the long run. We just cant keep F-ing up depth, by not identify real targets early. Kool has really done a much worse(if not **** poor job) than Rumph recruiting. We just lucky with Miller. And unless we are really going to a 4-2-5, Diaz was pretty dumb only taking one linebacker when guys might leave early next year. Our depth issues will be because of incompetence by the staff and no other reason.

rumph to me needs to be here for his coaching not his recruiting which is improving. plus we don't know who primary as on surtain Campbell, but the lb thing is reason for it. one 19 is loaded at lb/dl 2 they have taken 3 lbs to prior classes so have lb depth without joyner, 1 was a nice get considering there 2 deep has 6 jr/sophmores going into this year

It's been similar results for the last four coaching staffs. Recruiting South Florida is a double edged sword. We sure as **** need to coach up the kids we do get. IMHO we still got a good DB haul. I'm more worried about the numbers on the d-line.

its not similar results other then 2008 when p ulled all the booker t people Miami hasn't even scratched a top 10 class till richt got here. this is a class ranked top 7 or 8 in every service. Miami hasn't done that in a long time. and this is just the beginning its not same old same old the db class is one of best u can get despite misses the only issue I had is dline recruiting. I wish had more but 19 is loaded there in south florida and 18 was a weak year. this team is moving up people they won 10 games for first time in long time, they were top 10 ranked for first time in ages. that will help in long run if can keep it up and I think can.

Moar SPIN!!!

64134972.jpg

Objectively Rumph's CB haul carried the defensive recruiting regardless of the 5* misses. We have 4 - 4* CB's and a 3* with huge upside. I'll take that every cycle.

LB and DL recruiting was lagging waaay behind. What would our class look like had we gotten 4-4* DL?

Advertisement
Objectively Rumph's CB haul carried the defensive recruiting regardless of the 5* misses. We have 4 - 4* CB's and a 3* with huge upside. I'll take that every cycle.

LB and DL recruiting was lagging waaay behind. What would our class look like had we gotten 4-4* DL?
This... people want to keep dismissing that fact but bottom line his haul was the best on the defense at his position

This... people want to keep dismissing that fact but bottom line his haul was the best on the defense at his position

By far the best.

2018 was the year S Florida was stacked at DB. Considering Rumph completely whiffed at CB 2017, we had to make up numbers. Still can’t believe we let studs like Samuel and Wilson go due not being on them early enough.

Mods can we get the NEG system back in place soon?! Also tagging capabilities.

@Andrew @ Indy @ PetersReplacement @Dmoney @Ghost @Broke @DanSileoJr

Advertisement
The only things that can be said in defense of Rumph are "Adrian Closeburt" and "Michael Jackson". If he can continue coaching non-elite guys like that into studs who get drafted and thrive in the NFL he can be successful.

If this is truly Rumphs second year, he's still new at this and simply has to get better as a coach and recruiter. He is young enough and probably determined enough to at least improve. He should not be fired. He should be developed and Richt appears committed to that.

Advertisement
We underperformed in not getting enough players for each position group.

CB and DL are light.

If Diaz truly told Rumph to hold off on offering Samuel, than that's on him - not Rumph.

But the entire defensive coaching staff gets a middling grade for the class.

South Florida is an absolute gold mine to programs like Bama and now Georgia. Kirby learned well from Saban that it's the talent breadbasket of the country, and the best of the best have no local loyalty and go right for the highest bidder or top team in the country. It's too easy.

Image being able to go 40 minutes outside of Norman (Not that theres talent around Norman but for arguments sake) and being able to pull all the best talent you want. Only in south florida where the ballers are being pimped out at a young age and filtered to private schools all with the mindset of getting paid. There's practically no heart in MOST of the top kids (business decisions). The heart of the sport is left in dudes like Nesta and Tracy Howard, unfortunately they're becoming few and far between.

Rumph got out recruited by Saban and Saban Jr. Put Rumph's resume up against the resumes he lost out to.

Advertisement
What happened yesterday speaks more about the kids, than Rumph. Conventional wisdom says he should have gotten them, but it wasn't a conventional situation. With PS2 this year and Marco last year, he just wasn't as plugged into these Heritage dbs because of who their fathers are....and TC is in the same room with them all the time. Rumph's knowledge/presence was simply a luxury and they probably thought they got all they could from him. Where I fault Rumph and the entire staff, is in not using his relationship to identify early that TC would be a tough pull. You identify that early and then prioritizes guys like Divaad Wilson and Samuels jr. You leave one or two spots open for guys like TC or PS2. if they come great, if not, no worries.

The fact is that you don't need an ace db recruiter in south florida. If you have a good db coach, the position will recruit itself. There are just too many quality db prospects down here. All Rumph has to do is start making a name for himself as a good db coach, the recruiting thing may come with time. And I care more about getting 5* DL and OL then I do 5* dbs. Its nice, but its a luxury. Last I checked, Rumph probably helped us get Nesta and Herbert. Those two will mean a lot more in the long run. We just cant keep F-ing up depth, by not identify real targets early. Kool has really done a much worse(if not **** poor job) than Rumph recruiting. We just lucky with Miller. And unless we are really going to a 4-2-5, Diaz was pretty dumb only taking one linebacker when guys might leave early next year. Our depth issues will be because of incompetence by the staff and no other reason.

Isn't that what we did though? We pulled Frierson, Blades, and Ivey...all 4 stars, 2 in the top 300. The only reach was Bethel.

Not as many good linemen in South Florida. Who else was recruitable on the DL in South Florida other than Silvera?

It used to be the same with OLs. We would take smallish kids from South Florida but we were never overpowering. That is because we emphasized passing to equalize our disadvantage in playing physical football.

Rumph's comments last year when we went 0-for-4 in head-to-head battles for South Florida DBs with Jim McElwain at UF:

“It’s just confusing to me. I wish the parents were a little more involved. When you’re making a big decision, for him to have his first decision about the rest of his life, I wish the parents would be more involved.”

“I always tell the high school kids it’s a business, go with your hearts, (but) I really want kids to consider to come here and not flake out on us at the last minute,” he said. “We’ll learn from when we do lose. When they finally tell me `Okay, I want to go here, I’m not going to Miami (I asked) `What was it, what can we do better the next time?’ And now I have some idea of different ways we can pursue things.”

Rumph after getting embarrassed in losing the Campbell & Surtain battles:

“We pushed as hard as we could,” Rumph said. “The kids aren’t the same as they used to be, man. … The game has totally changed. Kids want to go where they think they’ll have the best opportunity to win.”

Rumph delivers quotes from the Al Golden playbook of consistently losing on the trail. Anyone defending Rumph at this point was likely a part of the Al Golden slurp squad until or near the bitter end.

Advertisement
Back