Issiah Walker in transfer portal

Advertisement
Do we have space for Walker?

Is Moise still a take?

Everything just said about telly being here and that would keep us from being able to get anyone is lunacy. Not one single rule ever in place that states even a loose version of that. The kid can go anywhere he wants. Period.

Not to mention - Walker is leaving Florida, wasn't Lockett at FSU. Two different schools.

Advertisement
Yeah, I have mixed feelings.

My initial thought is the Santonio Thomas situation because it feels so similar. But you can’t just talk about character and then pounce on the first four star who comes free. We need to do our homework.

This guy was headache throughout his recruitment. Based off that, it only shows me that these are the type of guys we want to avoid. I'm willing to take him and hope to god he plays up to his expectations, but we've been bitten in the *** before for taking guys like this at the last minute. Uber talented, but uber immature (See JT4, JW12, etc...).

For those of you suggesting the kid quit, how is it any different from D'Eriq King bailing on his team 4 games into the season to preserve his eligibility . . . to play elsewhere?

It's a new era. These kids view the transfer availability as free agency of sorts. Kids are going to take advantage of it for various reasons. It's not necessarily because they quit, or they're primadonnas or lack heart or guts or whatever other label you want to throw at it.

Because the Houston coaches got too cute with King, they wanted the team to tank 2020 and for King (and other players) to voluntarily sit out 2020 and play in 2021.

Also, assuming we have a season, if he really wants in, he can sit tight and enroll in the spring. We still get a usable lineman, with experience, which we need much more badly if we have a season this year.

It’s not like he wouldn’t have a good chance of redshirting anyway in the fall. Stay home, work out, get that home cooking and come play for the home team in spring practice, if you’re serious.

I know it’s farfetched to expect, but schools like Miami can't do grayshirts with their cost of tuition.

@TheOriginalCane would know about the roster implications, so he can correct this, but obviously we have one spot and that’s it, so I think in the spring he wouldn’t back-count and would be counted for next year.

Anyway, just some musings as to how we could possibly, but maybe not likely, have our cake and eat it too

It is certainly possible for him to do a TRUE "grayshirt", i.e., not enroll for fall and come in spring 2021. He would then count against 2021's IC numbers. Enrolling at UM now would mean he is walking on, and we would have to wait one full year (August 2021) to give him a scholarship. If he stays home for the fall, we could give him a full-ride in January 2021.

The risks include lack of academic progress, lack of weight training/nutrition, and the rumblings of family issues/depression/homesickness (and what might happen if he has to sit at home for nearly one calendar year, including quarantine time).

By the way, I am saying we have one IC slot left based on what Manny has told recruits and sportswriters. I would love it if we have more IC room and Manny has been doing some secret calculus in his bunker, I just don't think it's true.

Advertisement
Wouldn't he have to go to an FCS school? What if the NCAA played that 12 full months of eligibility card?

Bru McCoy transferred from USC to Texas back to USC.

Again, I said he'd have to get a waiver. But it could be done, particularly given this Covid-19 situation (i.e., he cites family issues as his reason for the transfer).

Without losing a year? Sure, Division I-AA. But with a waiver, he could come straight to UM. Again, not a guarantee, but given the reasons described for him wanting to come back to Miami, I'm not sure that a year at FAMU would make things any better.

Im 50/50 on this one and of course even thougu its none of my business but id like to know what changed in Gainesville

Not sure if anything "changed".

We all have to be honest about ONE THING. SoFla kids can see UM a million times. Walk miles on our campus. Go inside every building. Hit every football game.

But most of them only see UF or F$U or Clemson or Alabama one or two times. Huge campuses. Only see the highlights. Don't get to spend a lot of time interacting with the real students and getting a real sense of what it is like to live on one of these rural campuses.

So when reality hits...it can hit like a mo-fo.

I grew up in a city (Orlando, yes, it was growing a lot when I live there, but it was still one of the biggest Florida cities). I went to UM. And while it was fun to visit my friends at UF and F$U, I could definitely see the completely different lifestyles. A lot of these football athletes don't get a chance to see the real big picture until they enroll.

Not making excuses for Williams, but I can understand his "buyer's remorse".

Advertisement
Might want to drop silly talk of kids "quitting" every time they transfer. Free agency, watered down as it may be, is coming to college sports. Likely within the next year, the NCAA will allow kids a one-time transfer with immediate eligibility. Good chance it would already have been approved but for the pandemic. This obviously will take the transfer portal to another level. Based on what we've seen with the transfer portal, Miami should be in position to benefit.

Advertisement
This guy was headache throughout his recruitment. Based off that, it only shows me that these are the type of guys we want to avoid. I'm willing to take him and hope to god he plays up to his expectations, but we've been bitten in the *** before for taking guys like this at the last minute. Uber talented, but uber immature (See JT4, JW12, etc...).
hot ****, but isn't that what worries me as well.... too many self centered players have graced a roster over past 5 years.
S.Fla Diva's scare me to death...... scares me that he could be a Garvin 1 good year coast thru the next and boom 7th round draft pic, followed by his idiotic comment "the best is yet to come. Maybe having Ed Reed around will help the overall poor culture we have at the moment

JW15 man come on....get it right! He was a legend here.

Advertisement
Back