Isaiah Dunson at Opening Atlanta

Advertisement
Free safety? His legs are pretty long and he looks rangy ,but doesn't seem to have the hips to be a shutdown corner.

He ran 2nd leg on a 4 x 100 team running 4. The 3rd & 4th legs were running 11.4 @ 11.3’s.

He’s absolutely an 11.4 to 11.5 guy. My numbers usually put those guys in the upper 4.6’s or low 4.7’s for bad technique guys.

Those long jump numbers speak to an explosive lower body. Overall, if he’s a 4.7 kid, with those short shuttle numbers, average vertical, explosive movements leading to at least an average Powerball, you’re looking at an above average athlete.

That’s before even considering the length and frame. He’s a big pickup in my mind.

Not Jeffery Okudah, but he’s a real nice pickup.
"Those long jump numbers speak to an explosive lower body." Exactly. And what are shorter sprints 100 meters and less

Advertisement
Free safety? His legs are pretty long and he looks rangy ,but doesn't seem to have the hips to be a shutdown corner.
As previously posted at1:30 in the morning by Jack 71.

"Dunson was named a top performer by 247Sports at The Opening Atlanta this past spring. He measured 6-2, 177 pounds and clocked a 4.22 in the short shuttle."

"Covering the receivers at this event was no easy task, but Dunson caught our eye more than any defensive back, winning nearly all of the reps we saw," 247Sports national analyst Charles Powers wrote. "The Florida State pledge showed smooth cover skills and ability to read routes and transition while staying in-phase with receivers downfield. For a taller corner at 6-foot-2, we were impressed with Dunson's fluidity. The highlight of his day came on a rep against [LSU signee Arik Gilbert] that saw Dunson mirror the five-star tight end on a post-corner route."

As previously posted at1:30 in the morning by Jack 71.

"Dunson was named a top performer by 247Sports at The Opening Atlanta this past spring. He measured 6-2, 177 pounds and clocked a 4.22 in the short shuttle."

"Covering the receivers at this event was no easy task, but Dunson caught our eye more than any defensive back, winning nearly all of the reps we saw," 247Sports national analyst Charles Powers wrote. "The Florida State pledge showed smooth cover skills and ability to read routes and transition while staying in-phase with receivers downfield. For a taller corner at 6-foot-2, we were impressed with Dunson's fluidity. The highlight of his day came on a rep against [LSU signee Arik Gilbert] that saw Dunson mirror the five-star tight end on a post-corner route."

He mirrored a TE? Wow sign him up

Advertisement
Speed is a preeeeeetty important aspect, bruh. Lol. Miami was built on speed. U heard the terminology, speed kills? That’s because it does.

U (fans, media) can’t keep complaining about being slow and then recruit guys who are not twitchy or fast. That’s how we look like a G5 against FIU, and FIU look like a P5 team. It’s not just enough to have 40 speed, I agree, but you gotta have either 40 speed or football speed, and football speed is knowing how to press against coverage, or understanding angles and deciphering a play before the ball is hiked.

I agree. Overall athleticism is paramount but speed is 1 overrated component. It just irks me that casual fans like the porsters on this site think straight-line 40 speed is the be all end all. Even worse they obsess over individual tests without context. Imagine we recruited Myles Garrett - some of these idiots would have you believe he's overrated cause he ran a ~5 second 40. Was he wearing bad shoes, using bad technique, was he injured? These clowns don't care they just put all their attention to 1 set of easily digestable numbers because that's all their feeble minds can comprehend.

In the case of Dunson he's not fast but he's definitely twitchy, so to me he's not "slow" regardless of what 1 40 time from years ago would have you believe.

I agree on speed being important to an extent. There are certain thresholds that must be met to be effective base for each position. 4.9 is too slow for db, but Dunson doesn't run a 4.9.
Then what does he run?

Advertisement
Speed is a preeeeeetty important aspect, bruh. Lol. Miami was built on speed. U heard the terminology, speed kills? That’s because it does.

U (fans, media) can’t keep complaining about being slow and then recruit guys who are not twitchy or fast. That’s how we look like a G5 against FIU, and FIU look like a P5 team. It’s not just enough to have 40 speed, I agree, but you gotta have either 40 speed or football speed, and football speed is knowing how to press against coverage, or understanding angles and deciphering a play before the ball is hiked.

His film looks a lot faster then that , and tbh a lot of these kids have never trained properly for this. I saw a video of him running a 40 somewhere and it looked like an 8 year old running to the snack table. Nothing but arms and legs flinging everywhere. It actually stood out.

Put in film and he’s inside kids jerseys and shows makeup speed. If you use him properly there’s no way a kid will get off a jam with that length.

Last edited:
His film looks a lot faster then that , and tbh slog of these kids have never trained properly for this. I saw a video of him running a 40 somewhere and it looked like an 8 year old running to the snack table. Nothing but arms and legs flinging everywhere. It actually stood out.

Put in film and he’s inside kids jerseys and shoes makeup speed. If you use him properly there’s no way a kid will get off a jam with that length.
If you watch the senior highlights, there is no way he is slow. Unless everybody else is running 5.4 out there.

He played big boy ball in GA. He is separating, eating up cushions, closing on the ball, etc. He isn’t a burner, but he’s probably legit 4.7 right now. With just typical development, he is 4.55-4.60 in college. That is pretty fast for a 6-2 CB. He’s a good prospect.

Advertisement
Love how smoothly he committed, so I'm rooting him even more than the average Cane... Has he even given an interview?

Yep.

Last time we were relevant we had speed everywhere.

Including relative speed along the DL - Williams and McDougle at DE were around 4.6/4.7 at the combine.

Even Walters at DT went 4.9 at the combine.

Then there were the real burners like Buchanon, Johnson, McGahee, Portis, Daryl Jones, Alphonso Marshall, etc.

Exactly.
His film looks a lot faster then that , and tbh a lot of these kids have never trained properly for this. I saw a video of him running a 40 somewhere and it looked like an 8 year old running to the snack table. Nothing but arms and legs flinging everywhere. It actually stood out.

Put in film and he’s inside kids jerseys and shows makeup speed. If you use him properly there’s no way a kid will get off a jam with that length.

Which is y I said his length is what bumped him to a fringe 4 star.

Question is, what’s his comp, and what’s his stats? Hi lights make everyone look good. I think his raw tools makes him an excellent take at this stage, but he appears to be a perfect R/S candidate

Exactly.

Which is y I said his length is what bumped him to a fringe 4 star.

Question is, what’s his comp, and what’s his stats? Hi lights make everyone look good. I think his raw tools makes him an excellent take at this stage, but he appears to be a perfect R/S candidate
What’s his comp? It’s tucker ga... they play in a legit classification And are one of the best programs in Georgia

He was running a 4.9 the summer going into his junior year. When he gets on campus it’s 2 years later than that video. The 4.22 shuttle and the vertical, etc don’t translate to a 4.9 40.

Not saying he’s a burner now but I would say 4.7 at worst possibly in the 4.60-4.65 range.

He had sloppy running form in that 40 as well so he’s probably cleaned that up if he ran a 4.22 shuttle at 6’2

Advertisement
Back