Isaiah Dunson at Opening Atlanta

Advertisement
Anyone who watches Dunson’s film and thinks he is slow is clueless and doesn’t know what speed looks like on tape.

Tucker plays big school football in metro Atlanta At a high level. It’s a very strong football program in a football state. With the way he’s running past kids from the receiver position he has to be fast because he’s playing against really good athletes.

It's been posted elsewhere, but we aren't signing much else in February and this kid is worth getting excited about.

He's all arms and legs now but should make significant physical gains in college. Measured at 6'2, 175 with 4.22 shuttle and long wingspan. Needs to get faster but I believe he has untapped potential there like Redwine. 22'5 long jump.

Redwine's best 100m was 11.30 as a senior. He did long jumping and his best there was 19'8". No way Dunston is slower than Redwine as the long jump requires a lot of speed down the runway. Olympic and top collegiate long jumpers have great speed as that is the top prerequisite for long jump distance.

Redwine's best 100m was 11.30 as a senior. He did long jumping and his best there was 19'8". No way Dunston is slower than Redwine as the long jump requires a lot of speed down the runway. Olympic and top collegiate long jumpers have great speed as that is the top prerequisite for long jump distance.

Finally someone who can explain something rather than knee jerk opinions.

Advertisement
Because it’s an old time and you can tell the kid is way faster. It’s Daz Worsham all over again but this kid is faster.
Also look how he comes our from this start wobbling all over the place-from side to side and he stands straight up at the beginning of the 40. Must be at least 0.2 or 0.3 off his time.

Last edited:
Anybody who watched this kid’s tape and Christian Williams will tell you that this kid is faster than Williams. The few times Williams was able to run this year on returns he looked fast too.
Don’t know if he’s faster than Williams who ran a 4.64 40 at the opening at 6’1 180 or so but he’s not slow either by any means . He’s a playmaking db which is in the mold of what Christian Williams was . I Love dbs who also play on offense in highschool. They just seem like more coordinated athletes imo

Don’t know if he’s faster than Williams who ran a 4.64 40 at the opening at 6’1 180 or so but he’s not slow either by any means . He’s a playmaking db which is in the mold of what Christian Williams was . I Love dbs who also play on offense in highschool. They just seem like more coordinated athletes imo
Watch Christian’s tape then Dunson’s. Dunson off tape is faster.

Advertisement
Yep.

Last time we were relevant we had speed everywhere.

Including relative speed along the DL - Williams and McDougle at DE were around 4.6/4.7 at the combine.

Even Walters at DT went 4.9 at the combine.

Then there were the real burners like Buchanon, Johnson, McGahee, Portis, Daryl Jones, Alphonso Marshall, etc.

Speed is a preeeeeetty important aspect, bruh. Lol. Miami was built on speed. U heard the terminology, speed kills? That’s because it does.

U (fans, media) can’t keep complaining about being slow and then recruit guys who are not twitchy or fast. That’s how we look like a G5 against FIU, and FIU look like a P5 team. It’s not just enough to have 40 speed, I agree, but you gotta have either 40 speed or football speed, and football speed is knowing how to press against coverage, or understanding angles and deciphering a play before the ball is hiked.

@DMoney after adding dunson and the fiu kicker how many scholarships do we still have left for 2020(my count is that we are at 21). If we land King and Roche we are up to 23 and hopefully have room for an immediate impact OL and secondary player.

We could add a May graduate on the OL like Henry Hattis. I’m told he has real interest and plans to visit.

**** when I ran HS track I had a best 100m of around 11.4-11.5 and my best long jump was 20'8". I was told to get more distance I needed more speed but I had about maxed out my potential. I had the track coaches time me with no starting blocks in the 40 and it was around 4.7. This guy is almost 2 feet more in the long jump and he is running a 4.9 BS!!!!!

Last edited:
Also look how he comes our from this start wobbling all over the place-from side to side and he stands straight up at the beginning of the 40. Must *** at least 0.2 or 0.3 off his time.
This explains it well for non-track people. A lot of these guys with seemingly low 40 times aren’t really that slow but their 40 techniques are bad and so they time slow.

Advertisement
Dunson looks like the kind of lanky guy who will get bigger and faster. Redwine went from 4.77 to 4.44 while gaining 13 pounds.

Dunson plays like someone who will settle in the 4.6 range. Love his physicality and ball skills.

The play at the 2:13 mark tells me we got a good one at CB. Mirrored the receiver and kept good eye discipline. The fact that he doubled at WR and made impactful plays, hints that he can be a playmaker at CB; something this team has needed for a while. His length will allow him to challenge on more passes. We should also consider that he played against solid competition in GA, and came from a good program in Stephenson. that's a plus. He's a willing tackler too.

Anyone who watches Dunson’s film and thinks he is slow is clueless and doesn’t know what speed looks like on tape.

Tucker plays big school football in metro Atlanta At a high level. It’s a very strong football program in a football state. With the way he’s running past kids from the receiver position he has to be fast because he’s playing against really good athletes.

This is false. There are no good athletes north of Palm beach county or west of Broward.

Advertisement
**** when I ran HS track I had a best 100m of around 11.4-11.5 and my best long jump was 20'8". I was told to get more distance I needed more speed but I had about maxed out my potential. I had the track coaches time me with no starting blocks in the 40 and it was around 4.7. This guy is almost 2 feet more in the long jump and he is running a 4.9 BS!!!!!
That 4.9 was 2 years ago, and his technique was absolutely terrible in it.

He ran 2nd leg on a 4 x 100 team running 4. The 3rd & 4th legs were running 11.4 @ 11.3’s.

He’s absolutely an 11.4 to 11.5 guy. My numbers usually put those guys in the upper 4.6’s or low 4.7’s for bad technique guys.

Those long jump numbers speak to an explosive lower body. Overall, if he’s a 4.7 kid, with those short shuttle numbers, average vertical, explosive movements leading to at least an average Powerball, you’re looking at an above average athlete.

That’s before even considering the length and frame. He’s a big pickup in my mind.

Not Jeffery Okudah, but he’s a real nice pickup.

I don't understand the negativity on this kid at all. He's 6 foot 2 and 180 pounds, and is the nation’s 22nd-ranked cornerback in the 2020 class according to 247 Sports.

Also from 247:

Dunson was named a top performer by 247Sports at The Opening Atlanta this past spring. He measured 6-2, 177 pounds and clocked a 4.22 in the short shuttle.

"Covering the receivers at this event was no easy task, but Dunson caught our eye more than any defensive back, winning nearly all of the reps we saw," 247Sports national analyst Charles Powers wrote. "The Florida State pledge showed smooth cover skills and ability to read routes and transition while staying in-phase with receivers downfield. For a taller corner at 6-foot-2, we were impressed with Dunson's fluidity. The highlight of his day came on a rep against [LSU signee Arik Gilbert] that saw Dunson mirror the five-star tight end on a post-corner route."

Props to Rumph...I've been critical. DMoney's Flair analogy is both hilarious and spot on. But this is a nice late pull. I think this kid is minimum a 2 deep corner in his UM career. Size goes perfect with the smaller Clarke. He really makes plays on the ball, both sides of the field.

Kid is built a little like Branch. It think he's a better Davonte Brown. Some Similarities to Hodges, probably more speed, maybe not quite as long as Hodges is like an octopus out there. But I think a little more skilled D.Brown and a better player at this stage.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back