Is this the new norm

This will come back to earth once these kids start to bust. And with this pressure they will start to bust more often.

I don't know the true answer to this but in any professional sport, as the owner of a team you can't guarantee a player an endorsement deal, outside of your own teams contract, as a way to get around a salary cap or otherwise coerce that player to your team. Correct? What would happen if it was found out that some car dealer owner in Florida, who has connections to the Dolphins, told a free agent that if he comes to the Dolphins he'll give him a multi-million dollar endorsement deal specifically as a way to get him on the team?

Advertisement
I don't know the true answer to this but in any professional sport, as the owner of a team you can't guarantee a player an endorsement deal, outside of your own teams contract, as a way to get around a salary cap or otherwise coerce that player to your team. Correct? What would happen if it was found out that some car dealer owner in Florida, who has connections to the Dolphins, told a free agent that if he comes to the Dolphins he'll give him a multi-million dollar endorsement deal specifically as a way to get him on the team?
Nah, thats not allowed.

There was a rumor that Tom Brady received compensation payments for his TB12 facility in Boston from Robert Kraft, so that he could officially take a lower salary for the team. I dont recall the NFL ever looking into it because there was no evidence of that happening.

Your setting kids up to bust and only look towards dollar signs in life, can lead to many unhealthy behaviors or burning out. They should enjoy the non-business side of it as long as they can. I don’t know, not an expert just not a fan of the direction these things are going and before you say I’m an old head you are probably right. Don’t think I was meant to be born in this generation. Just turned 30 last week.

I mean, so what? Get kids in financial literacy courses. Plenty of kids start businesses, become social media stars, etc. these days. Why are we only concerned with athletes and how they’ll manage the money? Majority of Americans are financially illiterate anyways.
I don't care about youtubers, rapstars or majority of Americans.. I follow sports. Mainly CFB.

I'd like to see our guys have a degree & money in the bank when they leave to buy a house (instead of rent). Those courses would be a good first step.. As is, they'll have nice shoes, cars they can't afford & more babies out of wedlock.

Advertisement
Kid could have made it easier for himself academically at The Ohio State University if he had completed his basket weaving classes over summers in middle school, just skipped high school altogether, and gone straight to the upper level courses in college.

The European Academy system isnt the solution.

It creates fantastic players, but it also creates maladjusted adults. Also it can **** up the lives of those the system chews up and spits out.

At least the scholarship system in the US allows you to earn a degree to set you up for life - if you're wise enough to take that opportunity.

Where the **** do you get maladjusted adults from?
Is a system where you get paid according to your talent level regardless of age.

Advertisement
If your money isn't on the line, who really cares how much they make? And do you think college football will become more corrupt because of this? At least it's now some what out in the open.

Where the **** do you get maladjusted adults from?
Is a system where you get paid according to your talent level regardless of age.
Dunno.

Must have imagined it.

If anything the Academy system in 'soccer' mirrors Alabama. It's an absolute meat grinder - they throw 100s of 8 year olds in and 10 years later they hope that 1 or 2 come out the other side as professional players. The ones that don't make it are discarded when it suits the clubs. Bearing in mind they're banned from playing any other sport from 8+ while under contract with the club Academy.

Players get paid IF they make it i.e. 15+ and are able to sign a Youth Contract. Very few of those go on to sign Professional contracts.

I don't care about youtubers, rapstars or majority of Americans.. I follow sports. Mainly CFB.

I'd like to see our guys have a degree & money in the bank when they leave to buy a house (instead of rent). Those courses would be a good first step.. As is, they'll have nice shoes, cars they can't afford & more babies out of wedlock.
Yea, but the answer isn’t not letting them make money. That’s objectively anti-capitalist and not what this country is based on, allegedly.

And I don’t care what you follow or not frankly. I’m just using it as an analogy to show how the logic makes little sense to me.

Advertisement
Dunno.

Must have imagined it.

If anything the Academy system in 'soccer' mirrors Alabama. It's an absolute meat grinder - they throw 100s of 8 year olds in and 10 years later they hope that 1 or 2 come out the other side as professional players. The ones that don't make it are discarded when it suits the clubs. Bearing in mind they're banned from playing any other sport from 8+ while under contract with the club Academy.

Players get paid IF they make it i.e. 15+ and are able to sign a Youth Contract. Very few of those go on to sign Professional contracts.

The NCAA is a meat grinder just the same, only difference athletes don't get paid while universities make millions.

Why is it ok to take a huge promotion at your job and leave everyone you’ve worked with as a “team” and move to upper management but if you do the same thing in sports, you’re somehow a lesser person? I’m curious how many people who have a problem with this kid taking the deal would turn down an opportunity at work to make a ton more money because they don’t want to leave the rest of the guys in their department behind. Whether people want to believe it or not, high level athletics is a job and has been for a long time. If you want to watch players who don’t care about money, I would suggest getting into division 2 or 3 football since none of those guys will ever make anything and play just for the love.
“Why is it okay to take a huge promotion…? That’s what you worked for, and have earned it. The same applies to pro sports, it’s a job. However, to forsake the fundamentals of life in pursuit of fame and money before adulthood, usually leads to abuse and mismanagement of ones affairs, possibly a disaster. Besides, what is wrong with getting your education squared away before going to the pros, especially if you are that good and will have not only the opportunity to make the money, but will have your education to handle it, and any adversity life presents?

“Why is it okay to take a huge promotion…? That’s what you worked for, and have earned it. The same applies to pro sports, it’s a job. However, to forsake the fundamentals of life in pursuit of fame and money before adulthood, usually leads to abuse and mismanagement of ones affairs, possibly a disaster. Besides, what is wrong with getting your education squared away before going to the pros, especially if you are that good and will have not only the opportunity to make the money, but will have your education to handle it, and any adversity life presents?
Stop. You’re going to tell a kid who has companies offering hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe millions of dollars to turn that money down? Because he might mismanage it? All with the hope that he might be able to one day, if everything works out right, be able to make that money that’s already being offered to him? Come on. What if the kid doesn’t become a star and never gets drafted. Even if he gets a degree and manages to parlay that into a lucrative career, he still would have turned down more money than most people make in a lifetime. Also, this assumes that he won’t mismanage money when he’s three years older. Middle aged people blow through lottery winnings all the time. We’re not talking about a couple grand. We’re talking about a life changing amount of money.

Advertisement
Stop. You’re going to tell a kid who has companies offering hundreds of thousands of dollars, maybe millions of dollars to turn that money down? Because he might mismanage it? All with the hope that he might be able to one day, if everything works out right, be able to make that money that’s already being offered to him? Come on. What if the kid doesn’t become a star and never gets drafted. Even if he gets a degree and manages to parlay that into a lucrative career, he still would have turned down more money than most people make in a lifetime. Also, this assumes that he won’t mismanage money when he’s three years older. Middle aged people blow through lottery winnings all the time. We’re not talking about a couple grand. We’re talking about a life changing amount of money.
I get your point. Your emphasis is the money aspect. My emphasis is the person’s growth as an individual, and a member of society at large. To me money is the cart, the mule is what the person makes of himself. Money isn’t everything, while being a well rounded, educated human being goes a long way. Let’s just agree to have our points of view on life differently.

Advertisement
Back