Is this the new norm

He graduated high school in three years. Yes he has his issues now, but he did finish high school in three years lol why is this so difficult. It’s the point of the thread.
It’s not a big deal either. There’s only so many courses required to graduate. If you take the bare minimum required elective courses, you can finish in three years. Really bright kids today are all but finished after three years and spend their senior year earning college credits.

Advertisement
In my neck of the woods I could Legitimately say youth sports are a disaster as well. Parents have lost their collective minds. People, have eyes, your kid is not destined for the show or a full boat.
Agree. Traditional sports in general are probably doomed at all levels. That's why I'll be focusing on getting my kids exposure to non-traditional sports that they could enjoy their entire lives (i.e., climbing, surfing, skiing, etc.).

It’s not a big deal either. There’s only so many courses required to graduate. If you take the bare minimum required elective courses, you can finish in three years. Really bright kids today are all but finished after three years and spend their senior year earning college credits.
Yup. Dual enrollment has been around for decades. And some high schools have/had work release programs, which would literally let a kid out early or certain days to work for pay.

Why is it ok to take a huge promotion at your job and leave everyone you’ve worked with as a “team” and move to upper management but if you do the same thing in sports, you’re somehow a lesser person? I’m curious how many people who have a problem with this kid taking the deal would turn down an opportunity at work to make a ton more money because they don’t want to leave the rest of the guys in their department behind. Whether people want to believe it or not, high level athletics is a job and has been for a long time. If you want to watch players who don’t care about money, I would suggest getting into division 2 or 3 football since none of those guys will ever make anything and play just for the love.
I think your missing a very big part in this and if you can’t see it… well.

Agree. Traditional sports in general are probably doomed at all levels. That's why I'll be focusing on getting my kids exposure to non-traditional sports that they could enjoy their entire lives (i.e., climbing, surfing, skiing, etc.).
Don’t forget tennis!

Advertisement
Are you serious? Every bit of success you get is because someone else did something for you, whether that's giving you a chance to shine or coaching you or being a good
Smart move. My dude plays hockey and lacrosse at a relatively competitive level. It’s madness but he enjoys playing. Luckily, he climbs mountains, fishes and snowboards so he has other interests. My gal rides horses, I am sure there is a crazy element to jumping but she is not in it. It’s perfect for her AND my wife and I.

Hockey, I coach so I am removed from the craziness. Lacrosse, I need binoculars to see the field I stand so far away.

Yup. Dual enrollment has been around for decades. And some high schools have/had work release programs, which would literally let a kid out early or certain days to work for pay.
My sister did that in high school because she generally hated the idea of going to school every day. Not so much the classes because she was an A student, just the actual act of going to school and dealing with all the other BS that comes along with high school. She did a work program for the first half of her senior year and then graduated early so she didn't even have to go to school the second half.

Advertisement
In the 90's my sister was a top 10 student in our high school..she was a senior when I was a freshman.

USCw offered her a partial scholly to complete her senior year of high school at USCw.

this was only for academics...so no this isn't unusual.

He just doesn’t like the power being in the hands of the players. He’d probably prefer to hear Dabo threaten to quit when the players start getting paid and preserve the good ole days.
OR he just thinks what could go wrong with giving 16 year olds millions of dollars. It's going to be a sh*t show. Most would be fine with setting some kind of roth IRA account where they can draw with no penalty at a certain age.

Advertisement
If seven figure NIL offers were out there for my turning senior in high school kid, I'd tell him to sign them...take the money, enroll in school (his college of choice) and continue on with life.

He would be just like all other kids, in need guidance and help and support along the way, except he would have 7 figures in his bank account.

Can’t go broke turning a profit. Carpe Diem

Advertisement
You mean like when guys get drafted in the first round of the NFL draft, make millions from their organization and millions more in endorsements, and then turn out like Jamarcus Russell or Ryan Leaf?
Well, yeah, except that Russell and Leaf had big COLLEGE careers and that's why they had the hype to get drafted so high before they busted.

But now we're talking about guys getting huge $ deals that haven't even finished their HIGH SCHOOL careers.

OR he just thinks what could go wrong with giving 16 year olds millions of dollars. It's going to be a sh*t show. Most would be fine with setting some kind of roth IRA account where they can draw with no penalty at a certain age.
I mean, so what? Get kids in financial literacy courses. Plenty of kids start businesses, become social media stars, etc. these days. Why are we only concerned with athletes and how they’ll manage the money? Majority of Americans are financially illiterate anyways.

Advertisement
Back